Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: TV Show Renewed for Season 12 on NBC

Law & Order: SVU renewedWhile NBC has cancelled the original Law & Order, the network isn’t about to let Law & Order: Special Victims Unit go. It’s one of their highest-rated shows in the target demographic.

Law & Order: SVU revolves around the detectives and prosecutors associated with the New York City Police Department’s 16th precinct. Castmembers have included B.D. Wong, Christopher Meloni, Dann Florek, Ice-T, Mariska Hargitay, Richard Belzer, Stephanie March, Tamara Tunie, Adam Beach, Diane Neal, Michaela McManus, and Michelle Hurd.

The series began back in September 1999 on NBC. It registered as the 40th most-watched show of the season and was still renewed. In year two, it moved up to #25 and then peaked in season three, at #14.

The cop drama’s essentially been in decline ever since but, considering the poor shape of the rest of NBC’s schedule, it’s still a top performer for the peacock network.

To no surprise, NBC has renewed SVU for next season. No word on when season 12 will debut but the network is supposed to release its schedule on Sunday.

What do you think? Are you happy to hear that SVU return for season 12? Is it the best of the franchise or is there a better one?

Canceled and renewed TV show

97 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Nichole says

They just cant get rid of this show. It is literally addictive. I was bored at home one evening and decided to watch the show I have been hooked ever since. That is crazy because that was about six years ago. So I am so excited to see the show is going for season 12.

2. love elliot olivia says

OH,i almost forgot it!!!if christopher meloni decide not to leave the show,i want to see more seasons!!!!i love it!!!!!!!

3. love elliot olivia says

I love law and order svu!!!!!i think that everyone wants to see elliot and olivia together as a couple of course!!!!if it is true that christopher meloni wants to leave the show,i want a big finale!!!!!!mariska hargitay and cristopher meloni are great!!!i think that they belong together as olivia benson and elliot stabler!for me that is the biggest and greatest finale!!!please,make my dream reality!!!!

4. olivia elliot together says

I am so happy of season 12!!!I dont want chris meloni leave the show because i want to seebenson and stabler together!!!i love law and order svu an of course mariska hargitay and christopher meloni!!!they are beautiful and great actors!!!!i love them!!!!

5. MAKINLEY/stablerlover101 says

I hope they don’t ever cancel svu its my favorite show in the whole wide world and my hero Is chris meloni! :)

6. Mariskafan7 says

who ever arcelia is u are SO wrong liv is DEFINETLY the best she i strong brave and gives out a real message to women across the globe who wouldnt love her for that u jerk

7. Mariskafan7 says

hell ya im happy this is my fav show and i would just DIE if it wasnt on because i would never see the buetiful olivia benson. I LUV U girl keep rocking

8. Robert McGowan says

I’ve heard romers that chris maloni and tamara Tuni are both leaving the series after
    season 12 is over . I hope this is not true as the show would not be the same without
    original cast members .I would continue to watch it as it is my favorite tv show but would
    be very disipointed if any of the original cast was to leave ,you know the old saying if it aint brook don’t fix it the show is great as it is please don’t change anything

9. Jax says

I LOVE Law & Order: SVU!! Someone told me it was canceled and I was devastated until I found out that it was the original Law & Order that was canceled. Please don’t ever cancel this show!