Lipstick Jungle: NBC ”Cancels” Brooke Shields TV Show, No Season Three

Lipstick JungleThe peacock network has gotten tired of picking up the tab for “three of New York’s most powerful women.” They’re not ordering more episodes of the Lipstick Jungle TV show after two seasons and 20 episodes.

Lipstick Jungle is based on the best-selling book by Sex and the City’s Candace Bushnell and follows the lives of three high-powered friends; former studio president Wendy Healy (Brooke Shields), magazine editor Nico Reilly (Kim Raver), and fashion designer Victory Fords (Lindsay Price). Others castmembers include performers like Paul Blackthorne, Andrew McCarthy, Robert Buckley, Sarah Hyland, David Norona, Dylan Clark Marshall, Seth Kirschner, Matt Lauria, David Alan Basche, and Marcia DeBonis.

The series debuted as a midseason replacement series on February 7, 2008. Despite being part of NBC’s Thursday night line-up, Jungle only attracted 7.54 million viewers and a 2.9/8 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. The rest of the season averaged fewer than six million viewers each week.

Because of the writers strike, only seven episodes were produced. Ratings-challenged NBC decided to take a chance and renewed the show for a second year of 13 episodes, hoping that the numbers would improve.

Should Lipstick Jungle be given another chance?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When Jungle returned for its second season, the ratings were even lower than they were in season one. On Wednesday nights, the show averaged a paltry five million viewers and a 2/5 rating/share. After five weeks, NBC essentially gave up on the series and moved it to Friday nights at 10pm. Much of the Jungle audience didn’t follow and those two episodes have averaged just 3.26 million.

To no surprise, NBC has pulled the plug on the show’s future. The series’ writers actually cleaned out their offices last week. On the positive side, all 13 episodes of this season are being completed and will continue to be shown on Friday nights for the immediate future. Seven have aired, leaving six episodes to go. Because production is so close to wrapping, it’s unlikely that the final episode will conclude the series’ storylines. It’s even more unlikely that NBC would order a third season.

It’s expected that Friday Night Lights will take Jungle’s place in January. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

218 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

I guess if all us LJ fans were actually watching the show when it was airing it wouldn’y have gotten cancelled

2. Debra says

I Love this show and cannot believe it has been cancelled! Seriously? Way better than sex and the city. Who makes these decisions? And I totally agree – under promoted!!!! Bring it back!

3. Sylvie says

I totally agree on all the remarks above! I was also searching for info about season 3, because I LOVE this show, so I’m very disappointed to find out that there is none!
    Sooooo frustrating!! There even was no end at all.

4. Jade says

I was recently flicking through the channels and settled into a episode of Lipstick Jungle. I was immediately hooked and religiously watched every episode up until Season 2 episode 13. I quickly hoped online to find out about Season 3 … I cannot explain how shattered I am to find out I won’t be finding out the answers to the seasons finale of lose ends :( What a awesome series, I cannot understand how it was cancelled.

5. michelle says

that is so not right! i happen to really like lipstick jungle! now i will never know if nico and kirby get back together..or see victory marry joe..is wendy and shane gona live happily ever after? ugh i will never know and its just not fair to us devoted fans we cant watch the end to a show we enjoyed for only 2 seasons….
    very disappointed fan :(

6. Hina says

I CANNOT BELIEVE….NBC sucks for canceling the show lipstic jungle….. i want to c it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad ….for the millions of fans..plz conti it to the third season

7. freida says

Please please please….I want more liptick jungle.
    I just found out about the show and watched two seasons
    On hulu. I can’t get enough of it. Stayed up all night watching.Much better than
    “Real housewives”. And the clothing and Jewelry to kill…

8. Lindsy says

NO! I was just told about this show, I know it’s a little late, but I cannot get enough of it. I’ve watched both seasons, more than once, on Hulu and cannot get enough! This show is WAY better than “sex in the city”. NBC is beginning to make a reputation for canceling wonderful shows before really giving them a chance (ie under promotion)

9. Helen says

I want the 3rd season of LIPSTICK!!!!! Common! no offence, but the show was MUCH BETTER than “sex in the city”, simply less promoted I guess…So, bring it back, pls!!

10. says

i demand more season for LIPSTICK and LIFE !!!! you cannot just let us hanging after the good taste ! so i will repeat myself: i demand further seasons of LIPSTICK and LIFE