Missing: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

cancelled or season two Missing TV showEarlier this year, ABC introduced a thriller series called The River. It wasn’t a ratings success and will surely be cancelled later this month. Now, the network is trying an action show called Missing. Will this one fare any differently?

Missing follows Becca Winstone (Ashley Judd), a former CIA operative who’s made a new life for her herself as a single mother and a florist. She agrees to let her son Michael (Nick Eversman) study abroad but, a few weeks into his trip, he disappears and she suspects foul play. Becca arrives in Rome and begins piecing together the clues and it isn’t long before the kidnappers realize they’ve picked a fight with the wrong woman. The cast also includes Cliff Curtis, Tereza Voriskova, Adriano Giannini, and Sean Bean.

The series debuted on March 15th and attracted a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.6 million total viewers. That wasn’t a bad performance considering that Missing was airing opposite American Idol and the hyped return on NBC’s Community. CBS was airing a low-rated NCAA Basketball game instead of their usual sitcoms.

In week two, Missing dropped a whopping 24% in the demo and dropped to fourth place in the timeslot (beaten by Idol, Community, and more basketball) with a 1.6 rating and 8.81 million. In week three, the demo dropped another 6% and the show remained in fourth place.

Over the course of this season, Missing’s ratings have slowly dwindled further downward. In fact, the show’s demo numbers have never risen.

Should Missing be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last night’s installment of Missing dropped another 14%, to a new series low, with a 1.2 in the demo and 6.32 million total viewers. It’s demo rating was tied for fourth place in the timeslot — with The CW’s Vampire Diaries.

When a series on a major network ties (or is beaten) by something airing on The CW, you know there’s a major problem.

Missing is currently ranked 21st out of 22 scripted ABC shows this season. It currently has a “D” grade on our ABC Ratings Report Card and is only outperforming Charlie’s Angels average — that was the remake that occupied the same timeslot and was cancelled last November.

Though ABC hasn’t said as much, there’s no chance that Missing will be renewed for a second season. The ratings are just too low — and they keep going lower.

On the positive side, there are only two episodes left in the season so it seems very likely that the network will let them both air before cancelling the show.

But, what do you think? Are you enjoying Missing? Is it worth renewing or should it have been cancelled awhile ago?

Pam February 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Missing was awesome! We need to know what happens to Becca! Such a shame that a good show gets canceled when here is so much crap out there!

dana February 24, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I liked Missing, it seems like every good show I watch these days goes bye-bye. That sucks! I would like to see a second season of Missing. We need to know what happens to Becca.

Mel February 24, 2013 at 11:40 am

Can’t believe ABC canceled Missing. I ‘m over the demographic age group and I enjoyed it and watched every episode. ABC needs to rethink that decision!

Samantha February 23, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Love it

jeff newman February 18, 2013 at 7:40 pm

i watched every episode of missing, it was tivoed so not count in any statistics. i even watched commercials. the show was awesome. can’t believe american idiot beat it. and can’t believe it is cancelled, i couldn’t wait to see what happened in season 2!

leah February 18, 2013 at 10:55 am

i no when does the ****** show come back on

rhonda February 16, 2013 at 5:31 am

I like the tv show the missing. I didn’t get a chance to watch it when it aired but my husband and I rented it from the video store and love it. I feel that even if they cannot air the series in a different time slot. I would love to see the rest of it made into a movie, with all the same actors. I really want to know what happens.

kim February 12, 2013 at 2:53 pm

So missing is not going to be on

nicole February 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I dont no why this dumb reality shows take preferance over such good series as missing!

Michalina February 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I loved the TV show Missing!

Carol February 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I cannot believe you cancelled missing. It is the best and most entertaining show you have produced in many years. Take off the garbage show that are still on the air.

kathy January 30, 2013 at 9:08 am

I wish they would cancel”American Idiot”–can”t stand all the screaming of so-called talented people-ex. Jennifer Hudson – can”t understand one word that girl utters and as for her ww commercial that would be enough reason for me not to join ww. Back to Missing- Ihope they will reconsider and bring it back. I”m sure a different time slot would work.

Bouke Smallenbroek January 27, 2013 at 12:14 am

Missing is beautifully shot in Europe, it has the international flare and grandeur as the Bond movies and series like Largo Wynch. The open ending remands a second saison and chance, perhabs on a better airing time in the USA; I understand that that is a reason why the viewing results were low.
I am living in the Netherlands. Here the airing was at primetime. And you always can record, is it not.

cg January 26, 2013 at 3:06 pm

don’t cancel missing. love that show. please change the timeslot. I don’t think anyone has a chance against american idol.

leona January 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

i am so tired of good shows being canceled… flash point was a great show that kept you on your toe’s.. missing is another great show that has been canceled, all because it had a bad time line to be aired and viewer’s didn’t get to see it at that time… i think they should give it a second season in a different time line and see if the rateings go up, i am sure they will… so please bring it back. thank you