Pan Am: ABC Pres Maintains Show’s Not Dead Yet

Pan Am not canceled yetDespite ever falling ratings, ABC’s not willing to give up on Pan Am — at least not publicly anyway.

At today’s ABC portion of the Television Critics Association Press Tour, network president Paul Lee reflected, “When it opened, it really brought a good audience to it.”

He then noted, “I think there’s a lot of goodwill toward the show. It’s a great cast. We have new and original shows right through the end of February and it’ll be in contention past that.”

Lee chose not to focus on the fact that, while Once Upon a Time and Desperate Housewives saw big gains following the winter break, Pan Am hit a new series low. The freshman series drew just a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.96 million total viewers.

The recent airing brought the season average down to a 1.9 in the demo and 6.16 million, registering a “D+” on our ABC report card. Aside from Body of Proof, it’s the least watched show on the network that hasn’t been cancelled yet.

ABC initially ordered 13 episodes but then asked for one more. Only four episodes remain for this season, and likely the series. It’s slated for February 19th.

What do you think? Is ABC still considering a future for Pan Am or is it all but officially cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

141 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Mzglorybe says

Absolutely loved the uniqueness of this show. Enough already with the gruesome and redundant forensic crime shows!!

2. ed says

There are at least 7 million people who watch or DVR Pan Am every week..that is not bad for year one…give the show another chance at a different time!

3. M says

In a first epide I understood that it’s what i’ve looked for. My grandmother was a stewardess and it’s so great to see a fire in her yes when she’s watching PANAM. Now it’s my favourite show and I really want to see continuation. Please, don’t close the PANAM. It’s fantastic show with some historical facts and lot of romantic.

4. Anonymous says

5. Jess says

This is a great quality show with great plot lines and so much possibility . Do not cancel Pan Am. And Don’t forget to count all those people who miss it on Sunday nite and stream it later on abc.com !!!

6. Елена says

Пожалуйста не закрывайте Pan Am!!!!
    Это самый лучший сериал в мире!!! Я люблю его….

7. Teresa says

Every time they have a good quality show on network TV, they cancel it without giving it a chance. No wonder more and more people are switching to Cable TV, HBO, Showtime etc.

8. Katie says

I LOVE Pan Am. To get better ratings, maybe they should try switching the time slot first. If that doesn’t work, then switch the day. ABC needs to try something to keep this show on the air! This is a quality show compared to all the crap on now.

9. stephanie says

I absolutely love Pan Am. Why do they cancel all the shows that are warm and fuzzy? don’t we have enough lawyer/cop/crime shows on tv as it is? Leave Pan Am alone. It’s a breath of fresh air!

• Anonymous says

I agree this show was really fun. A refreshing blast from the past. I hope it will returning he Fall. There are so many unfinished stories there.