Parenthood: What Happened? Has the NBC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ParenthoodWe’ve received quite a few e-mails from readers who are been worried that Parenthood has been cancelled by NBC. Well, it hasn’t been canned and will actually be returning on January 4th. That’s the good news but fans shouldn’t get too complacent. The drama hasn’t been performing all that well and certainly isn’t assured of a third season.

Last May, Parenthood was one of those shows that was “on the bubble” but still ended up being renewed. Though season one premiered with a 3.1 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 8.1 million viewers, it soon after dropped to a 2.3 rating and 5.83 million viewers. The 13 episodes of season one ended up averaging a 2.6 in the demo and 6.38 million total viewers.

For season two, Parenthood debuted at about the same demo rating it had at the end of season one. Unfortunately, that didn’t last. In mid-November, shortly before it went on hiatus, Parenthood hit a series low of a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demo and 4.8 million viewers.

The first half of the season has averaged a 2.1 in the demo and 5.22 million. Parenthood is currently the seventh-highest rated scripted program on the network, falling in the middle of the list, just below The Event. While it’s not in immediate danger of being cancelled, the show’s certainly not safe either. Its fate will ultimately be decided by how well it performs when it returns from the six week hiatus. Most shows don’t typically fare very well and ratings drop after a hiatus. Will Parenthood be the exception?

What do you think? Will the ratings for Parenthood go up or down? Will it be cancelled or survive to see season three?

Joan Kemmet June 9, 2012 at 6:09 am

Loved Season One. Love the characters. The writers went over the top after Season One with several situations that were not consistent with the relationships previously established. Get back to the reality that so endeared us in the beginning. I realize characters must age; some of them did beautifully. We’ll hang with you! Promise!!

Jane June 7, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I absolutely love this show. I too am one of those that records it so I do not miss an episode. I think the acting and casting is suburb. Please if there is anything I can do to ensure its continuation, write a letter, cast a vote let me know.

Q Thompson June 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Please,please,please don’t cancel parenthood.it is my absolute favorite show! I even record it because Iam afraid I’ll miss it.

Shirrell Keck June 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Love love love Parenthood. Casting is excellent. Never miss a show. I could watch this show every day. Waiting for the next season

Karen June 4, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Please do not cancel Parenthood, the best show on TV. I would miss the show so much !!

Ginger Wilson May 31, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I love Parenthood, so many of the shows I love get cancelled and it really stinks. Please don’t cancel Parenthood.

Kercelia May 31, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Parenthood is one of the best family shows to come along in a while. My daughter and I look forward to watching the episodes that are never dull, thought-provoking, and just nice . It seems that more and more of the reality shows are taking up space and leaving nothing for viewers who like to be truly entertained.

Jean Buchanan May 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

I really miss Parenthood. It is one of the few shows left on T V that you can enjoy. The sitcoms now are about sex, sex, sex and while I’m not a prude it is a little much. This show about a family in its joys and struggles is true to life and I love all the characters. Please bring it back as we desperately need something on besides reality shows and talent shows. N. J. Buchanan

Evelyn May 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Please keep Parenthood on. It is one of the very few that is intelligent, funny, and touching. Never have missed an episode. I urge NBC to keep it in their lineup.

c. small May 24, 2012 at 10:23 am

Please … Keep Parenthood. It’s one of the few really good shows around these days.

Patricia Hollan May 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I think this is one of the best written shows on TV….It would be a shame if it were to go off the air…..I don’t understand why more people don’t watch this wonderful show….Let’s figure it out and fix it !!!!

Gilles May 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm

To see Parenthood cancelled would be simply a shame. A family show which does create moments of social conscience, yet again makes you feel at home and not threatened to try and digest something most sit at home t.v.watchers wouldn’t enjoy. It surely would leave a hole in T.V. for those of us who like great family interaction shows.

Anne May 17, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Please don’t take this show off the air. It’s one of just a few shows I enjoy.

john gauci May 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm

parenthood was one of the few shows that was very very good.I cant believe they took it off.Is there nothing to watch for the over 40&50 folk?

susie May 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Leave the show on the air. Everyone I know watches the show! It is my favorite and we will be devastated if it is dropped. Don’t do it!

Linda May 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I love Parenthood and would love to see it come back on. Darn, every time I get into a show it up and disappears!!

Nancy May 30, 2012 at 8:31 am

Please don’t cancel P{arenthood – it’s a good show watched it every week!! Please keep it, thank you!