Parenthood: What Happened? Has the NBC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ParenthoodWe’ve received quite a few e-mails from readers who are been worried that Parenthood has been cancelled by NBC. Well, it hasn’t been canned and will actually be returning on January 4th. That’s the good news but fans shouldn’t get too complacent. The drama hasn’t been performing all that well and certainly isn’t assured of a third season.

Last May, Parenthood was one of those shows that was “on the bubble” but still ended up being renewed. Though season one premiered with a 3.1 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 8.1 million viewers, it soon after dropped to a 2.3 rating and 5.83 million viewers. The 13 episodes of season one ended up averaging a 2.6 in the demo and 6.38 million total viewers.

For season two, Parenthood debuted at about the same demo rating it had at the end of season one. Unfortunately, that didn’t last. In mid-November, shortly before it went on hiatus, Parenthood hit a series low of a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demo and 4.8 million viewers.

The first half of the season has averaged a 2.1 in the demo and 5.22 million. Parenthood is currently the seventh-highest rated scripted program on the network, falling in the middle of the list, just below The Event. While it’s not in immediate danger of being cancelled, the show’s certainly not safe either. Its fate will ultimately be decided by how well it performs when it returns from the six week hiatus. Most shows don’t typically fare very well and ratings drop after a hiatus. Will Parenthood be the exception?

What do you think? Will the ratings for Parenthood go up or down? Will it be cancelled or survive to see season three?

Lynn Robinson August 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

We LOVE this show! It has something for everyone. One of teh few shows that everyone from kids to grandparents can watch! PLEASE keep the show going!

Hannah Rubin August 23, 2012 at 11:46 am

I love this show…It’s well written and the cast is wonderful! Please keep it on the air for all of your fans!

Glenda Noblitt August 23, 2012 at 5:40 am

I love the show. I hope the network keeps it on the air.

Annalee August 22, 2012 at 8:53 pm

This is one of the “few” good shows on TV! I love the actors, subject matter and the character’s!!! I would be so VERY sad if this show was canceled!!!!

Annalee August 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm

PS I don’t know where they are getting their ratings but they are SO wrong!!!!! Great show!!!!

nancy warren August 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

this is what happen’s when you really like a show, it get’s cancelled!!, although they said it has not been cancelled yet, sounds like it will.

Regina August 14, 2012 at 10:19 am

It would be a shame if Parenthood was cancelled. There are so few really good family shows on anymore. I would definately miss it.

Anonymous August 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Parenthood is the best show on TV. I would never miss it and never want to see it canceled. Everyone I tell about it and watches it is hooked. Please let it continue Thanks!

pat ashley August 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I really enjoy parenthood. If I cannot watch I record it and watch it later. I sure hope it stays on the air.

CHRIS DANIELS August 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

Please don’t cancel Parenthood. It is one of the few quality shows on the major networks The acting the storylines and everything about this show makes it a favorite of mine. I hope it sdurvives

Carol August 6, 2012 at 7:24 am

Please dont take this show off the air. It is one of the only shows that is not reality!! The story lines are sooo true to life and it keeps you at the edge of your seat at times. I’ve cried and laughed in the same show. It has everything. Maybe change the time!!

Jovita Schmalzried July 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Parenthood is one of the best shows for all age groups to enjoy! I have no problem with when its scheduled because I record it to my DVR, but the network needs to realize if they replace it with a new series not as well written it’ll fail quickly! There’s too much reality shows currently on all channels so we don’t need anymore! Give me the great series “Parenthood” everyday of the week! I’d watch it that much!!!

carole freiberg July 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Love this show it needs a better time and day

Amber July 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I love Parenthood!!! I don’t think it should go off it’s too good of a show. It’s a family that we can all see our own family in. Maybe if it was on at 9 that would help people stay up to watch.

Denise July 10, 2012 at 11:43 am

Please don’t take it off the air. I haven’t missed one episode. I look forward every week to see what is going with the Bramermans! I would hate to see it go. To replaced with another reality show would just suck!

christy July 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Please don’t take it off the air!! i LUV it watched it on netflix and now i won’t more!!!

Linda Lee June 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Parenthood is a show that always leaves me with a smile on my face. The cast is incredible and the plot lines have held my interest during every episode. I hope the good times continue to role!