Reaper: Syndication Plans Fall Through, Show Stays Cancelled

ReaperEven before the CW officially cancelled Reaper, there were talks that ABC Studios might be able to keep the supernatural comedy series alive by other means.

Weeks ago, the studio approached CW affiliate stations about purchasing new episodes through first-run syndication. The CW network recently gave Sunday nights back to the local stations to program on their own so they’re in need of additional programming. ABC Studios’ syndicated Legend of the Seeker has been a success with affiliates and there was talk about possibly offering Reaper and Seeker as a package deal.

Many of the CW affiliates expressed interest in purchasing Reaper but then ABC Studios didn’t present them with contracts. Shortly thereafter, the affiliates were reportedly told that the show was being sold to a cable outlet.

Reaper actresses Missy Peregrym and Jenny Wade both twittered that a deal was almost in place with Sci Fi but then the deal fell apart. It’s unclear as to the reasons why but it may have to do with the contracts of the actors and/or overall production costs.

According to Nick C, ABC Studios considered keeping the show going without Bret Harrison and Tyler Labine. In that scenario, the Devil (Ray Wise) would have found a new “Sam” to make miserable. Ultimately the studio decided against it.

While it appears that the show is over for real this time, some devoted fans are still fighting to get the show back. You can get involved at the Reaper DMV site.

Meka December 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm

They just real STUPID

CW BLOWS May 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm

CW you are a bunch of morons and it was not surprising when i heard the CW cancelled REAPER… I mean look at the shows that come on the CW… go down the list TRASH…TRASH….TRASH and even more TRASH!!!!

REAPER is to good of a show and wayyyyyy too original for the CW to handle…

Browncoat Scaper February 21, 2010 at 1:33 am

Seriously? Why does it not suprise me that Sci Fi will not renew REAPER? I mean, come on, they have great programs like “Transmorphers” to play or “Mesquito Man”. I mean, the networks would never cancel anything that was good, right? Sounds like….Farscape, Firefly. Hmmm…..

somegoodname November 21, 2009 at 9:55 am

i not get the **** ? REAPER just go bad a little, CW cancelled the show .REAPER is the kind of show CW must have .I m from singapore and i know the show had a global and International distribution(33 regions) ,i and my friend fell in love with. metacritic has been dubbed it as having “universal acclaim” with a rating of 81 out of 100, out of 27 reviews.more ads and better action needed

Lisa Nolan October 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I am in complete shock that Reaper has been cancelled. That was my family’s favorite show to watch together. Now they have disrupted our family time!!! How dare they!!! There is hardly anything left to watch that is any good. I believe it was the network’s fault for not promoting it enough. They should have done more marketing and perhaps they wouldn’t have looked so stupid!!! Bring back Reaper NOW!!!

Monkey.D September 12, 2009 at 7:34 am

I live in the UK and I Love this show. I’m was 18 or 19 when I started watching the show and I have never missed an episode…. american tv companies need 2 look at their global viewings… me and my friends are in the age range of reapers target audience and we love this show…. I guess its back to looking 4 somethin good to watch or back 2 my xbox.

tvshow saver July 14, 2009 at 9:56 am

To everyone reading this if you haven’t already sign the petition to keep reaper alive and then get your family members to do the same and maybe et your friends to sign it as well and join me and other people at th reaper DMV site to follow the campaign to get it renewed. Also go on the tvguide cult shows blog to get it into the top cult shows list.

Raiders757 July 13, 2009 at 2:34 pm

It’s hard to believe that CW canceled ‘Reaper”, yet keeps garbage like ‘90210’ and other similar shows for shallow types. They canceled ‘Aliens in America’, ‘Everybody Hates Chris’, and ‘Reaper’. Way to go CW. Now my house hold has no reason to ever tune into your pathetic channel again.

Conn July 1, 2009 at 11:59 pm

I am utterly horrified that some idiot could commit such an attrocity as to cancel Reaper. It’s probably the only show I watch on the CW. Honestly “Gossip Girl”, “Smallville”, who watches that garbage!

David June 23, 2009 at 3:11 pm

they havent a clue about what make’s a good show, everythings castrated versions of shit i wouldnt even let my dog watch, all the women look fit the minute they get out of bed, come on, even my misses looks like a bag of chips when she wake’s up, Reaper’s just the best thing out, well, was.
i could write better smallville if i took a huge knock to the head, which if they read this should be coming , friday i think.

Brent June 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I have showed clips from Reaper to many people over the last 2 years and have always been asked “the CW”, whats that? But everyone loved the show. The executive at “the cw network” may need to look more at their method of advertising and the people involved rather than taking REAPER off the air. Need some help, I’d love to give it a shot. Maybe they need to get the guys that did american idol. If that crap still keeps going, anything can.

Thomas June 19, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Who gives a shit anymore?? Reaper was cancelled we will probably see something in five years when the ‘omg im a dumbass’ card gets played and they renew it or something like they did south park and futuraman and cool ass shows like that. The tv i might watch now is heroes and smallville with supernatural. I hope CW sells out next year or so. Then they could give the shows to some station who gives a crap and treat them better.
If you dont like what im saying then BRING REAPER BACK!!

Donald Summers June 17, 2009 at 8:31 am

I can’t believe the nerve of Sci-Fi! they’re willing to dedicate a timeslot to wrestling (which I might add, isn’t Science Fiction related at all) but they won’t pick up Reaper?!

Pope June 16, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I agree. Come on Sci-Fi !! This is a great show and is a LOT better than wrestling, that while it too is fiction, is not Sci-Fi material. Please pick up this show.

MK June 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Oh come on Sci Fi!!! NO ONE who watches your channel gives a fig about wrestling, but we would watch this. Work it out!