Saving Hope: NBC Medical Series; Cancel or Keep?

cancel or keep Saving HopeThough the networks are overflowing with reality series this summer, there are some new scripted TV shows. One is Saving Hope, a medical series that NBC has licensed from Canada. Will this one stick around or be cancelled instead?

As Saving Hope begins, a hospital’s charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the hospital in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

In terms of the ratings, Saving Hope debuted on June 7th with a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.24 million total viewers. It ranked in a distant fourth place, garnering less than half of what CBS drew with a second place repeat of Person of Interest. It was truly a terrible performance.

Should Saving Hope be renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The following week, the demo remained the same and the viewership grew slightly, to 3.98 million. It was in fourth place in the demo once again.

Of the eight summer programs that NBC has been airing this summer, Saving Hope is dead last and is doing even worse than the network’s Rock Center with Brian Williams. On our summer ratings report card, the show has an “F” grade.

While NBC is likely paying very little money to air Saving Hope, the ratings are so poor that there seems to be no reason for the network to bring it back for a second season. The show could continue in Canada however so, if that happens, US viewers could potentially be able to see future episodes if NBC drops it.

But, what do you think? Do you like Saving Hope? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Karen July 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

Love this show!!! Please don’t cancel this. Can’t wait to see Charlie wake up so he & Alex can continue their life together. Love all the characters-great cast. Love watching a show about real life people and circumstances. So tired of only moronic reality shows to pick from. I never watch any of that trash. Waiting anxiously for season 2!!

Sandy July 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

Keep the show. Love it!!

Jodi July 27, 2012 at 6:21 am

Yes,please keep the show. I can’t wait to find out what happens to Charlie.

Viesta Morrison July 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm

DONT cancel Saving Hope, I have enjoyed this show so much this summer, it is different and has been a real joy! Can’t you at least try?

Sharon July 26, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Why do they always want to cancel the best shows. Bet the ratings are low cuz it’s summer, duh! Keep it going NBC! It’s a great story line and besides great acting it addresses important life issues and makes you think! So much better than all these stupid reality shows!

Janice July 26, 2012 at 10:27 pm

If you want this show to have a chance at being renewed, you all need to watch it LIVE on NBC every Thursday and not record it…

Only the fans can save the show.

Jane July 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Absolutely keep this show. My sister and I both watch this show. I’m getting sick and tired of the networks canceling good shows

Clive Stephenson July 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Keep the show. I like it.

Pat July 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm

We all enjoy this show and watch it every week. More viewers just need to find out about it. Keep it!

nancy July 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I love this show, if NBC should cancel , i hope i will be about to watch it from a Canada.
I have always loved Micheal Shanks , if his in it i watch it. no matter what it is.
but this show is good anyway. and I want it to stay

Marcia Friemoth July 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I adore this show! It seems like every time I get into a new show, it gets cancelled. I’m so sick of this happening. Last one was Flashpoint! Maybe I just need to move to Canada! NBC please give it a chance!

Teresa July 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Its a great show!! Keep it!!

Steven Pyle July 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Just saw Heartsick… I hope that wasn’t the End.

Anonymous July 26, 2012 at 7:06 pm

KEEP IT, KEEP IT, KEEP IT!!!

Jeanette July 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Keep this show!!! It is so enjoyable. I tape it each week so that I make sure I don’t miss it. The story line is amazing. I love this ‘coma’ life series and Alex is an amazing and beautiful actress to watch. The supporting characters are strong and interesting. I’d like to see her fiancee come out of his coma and for the show to grow from there, but before he does, I’d like to see that psychic come back and help with a communication process between the fiancee and Alex prior to him coming out of his come.

I believe so much in this stuff!