Sons of Anarchy: Season Six Renewal; Season Seven Likely

Sons of Anarchy season sixIt came as no surprise when FX renewed their popular Sons of Anarchy series for a fifth season last October. Today, they did one better and renewed it for a sixth season as well.

The renewal comes after Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter agreed to his first overall deal — three years with FX Productions and 20th Century Fox Television. The deal keeps Sutter working on Anarchy and will allow him to develop new TV projects as well.

He broke his contract news nonchalantly on Twitter on Sunday, writing, “Closed my deal for 3 more years on SOA. no headlines, no pushed schedule… thank you FX and 20th for your generosity”.

With Sutter signed for three years, the expectation is that Sons of Anarchy will run for at least seven seasons. Sutter’s aware of FX’s model to run shows for no more than seven years because of increased overhead and above-the-line costs.

He told THR, “There’s a part of me that does see being able to tell this story in seven seasons, but there’s a part of me that doesn’t want to say, ‘That’s it.’”

He continued, “I almost feel like when you hang that kind of finality and put a period on something, there’s almost a backlash that happens with the fan base… If there’s more story to be told after seven seasons and if financially it’s still a feasible endeavor, I’m definitely open to doing more.”

Earlier this week, Sutter tweeted that he had his first meeting with the writing staff on season five and was excited. The fifth season of Sons of Anarchy is expected to air this fall.

Season four, which got an additional episode, saw the FX series attract its highest ratings to date and ended with Jax (Charlie Hunnam) taking over the club and deciding not to kill his step-father, Clay (Ron Perlman).

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Sons of Anarchy has been renewed for season six? How long do you think the show should run — seven seasons or more?

rebecca May 19, 2014 at 11:11 am

i love the sons of anarchy i wish they would at least go to 10 seasons of this show its so addicting

trudy matthews October 29, 2013 at 5:23 am

this show is awesome im so addicyed to it. i cant imagine there not being any more episodes

anonymous June 18, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Love the show. Keep it interesting and keep coming. Would like to see several new seasons.

Kelly June 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Love the show and will watch it as long as it runs – Kurt Sutter does an amazing job both as a director and actor – We are huge fans in our house and have shared the series with others we on seasons 1 – 4 . Looking forward to season six!!

Anonymous April 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Love this show!!!!!!!!! Hope it runs a long time!!!

:o) August 9, 2012 at 11:41 am

I hope that this show goes on longer then 7 seasons.. it is the best show on television to date and I feel as if it will be as long as it is still on. KEEP ON WRITTING!!!!

:o)

Kristy July 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I am very happy to read it’s going for a few more seasons AT LEAST. I hope it can go longer, if the story line is well written. I didn’t see the show when it first came on tv. My boyfriend got me hooked on it. We have all the seasons available on DVD. They are addictive! This is a great series that leaves you wanting more! The actors and actresses are awesome! Love them all!

jacqueline byrd April 28, 2012 at 10:16 pm

they are my favorite bikers. love this show so much. hope it runs as long as it can. i will stay tuned in.

Rebecca April 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I am angry that prior shows are not available on demand. It sucks that when the show is on that you can not see the show that ran that week on demand so you can stay tuned in for the next one. Instead they show an episode from two weeks back so you are always behind one episode. I am so frustrated. I love the show but can only take so much inconvenience and I will be saying goodbye.

andres February 4, 2012 at 2:39 am