Spartacus: Starz Big Premiere Ratings; Cancel or Keep It?

Spartacus: Blood and SandWith much hoopla and some mixed reviews, Starz debuted their new original series, Spartacus, over the weekend. Did many watch? Will it survive?

The first season of the series, titled Spartacus: Blood and Sand, follows the legendary Roman gladiator with newcomer Andy Whitfield in the title role. The gritty series features the talents of Lucy Lawless, John Hannah, Peter Mensah, Manu Bennett, Viva Bianca, Craig Parker, Jai Courtney, Erin Cummings, Nick E. Tarabay, and Antonio Te Maioho.

According to THR, the series premiere of Spartacus drew 553,000 viewers on Starz and another 460,000 on Encore.

Is Spartacus worth watching?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

While those figures aren’t very big, they do represent Starz’s best performance in the pay-per-view channel’s short history of producing original series.

Starz estimates that viewership for the first episode, once re-showings and DVR viewing are added in, will surpass two million total viewers. It’s unknown if that number includes official online viewing via outlets like Netflix. The real test, of course, will be to see if viewership grows or falls in the coming weeks.

The series has already been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes so there’s no doubt that it’ll be back for season two.

But, what do you think? Is it worth watching or is the show finished in your house? Cancel or keep it?

alfred May 19, 2010 at 10:27 am

love the show when does season 2 begin ?

Robert Tate Ramos Jr. May 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I LOVE SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND!!!!!!!!! This is the best show of 2010. It reminds me of 300 and Gladiator. They are to great movies but Spartacus: Blood and Sand beats them both. I really really can’t wait for season 2. I hope they do it and start off back from the end of season 1. I’m so glad I saw a preview for the first season because I truly love this show. I hope it goes for many seasons. Andy Whitfield done a great job of playing the character (Spartacus). Hopefully they bring back all the same cast of season 1. Please Please make more seasons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet there’s alot of fans 0f (Spartacus: Blood and Sand)…..

Punt on second down May 8, 2010 at 12:36 am

I havent really gotten into a tv show in a few years. I watched the Sopranos and thought it was good, and I really got hooked on Tru Blood, but this show is the best show I have ever seen. I know that is extremely high praise, and I kept saying to myself, “I think this is the best show I have ever seen.” I didnt know if I was being irrational or what, but every single week the show got better and better, to the point where I really could not believe what I was watching. The first couple episodes were average, but after the third and fourth episodes I couldnt freaking believe how good the show was. There was never a set up episode that bored you, every single episode was freaking great. I wish it was still on during the summer to get me to football season. I love Ohio State football more than anything in the world, and this show came very close to reaching that level.

Ivan April 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I heard a lot of good feedback on these series from my friends. I tend to not watch any shows that revolve around historic events, especially the Spartakus theme as it has been depicted many times already and it is with a pre-determined ending.

However, I must say I have never been so captivated by any other show on TV. I have Starz and pretty much watched the entire season 1 in one week. The show is amazing. It was produced in great detail and even although it does not have the motion picture of Avatar, it is extremely realistic for TV series. I cannot wait for the second season. I hope it is as high quality as the first one.

Ramiro Riley April 23, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’m ready for season two as soon as possible!!! Great show!!

KG April 21, 2010 at 9:13 am

This is by far one of the best original series to hit the airwaves since OZ, The Sopranos, The L-Word, and so forth! This show caught my attention fromt he first episode. I do not have Starz but watched it on the XBox. If I didn’t have Xbox I would have for sure gotten Starz just for this show. The glory, the grit, the gore, and the revenge all rolled up in one series!! Worth watching for sure! This is a great seriese for Starz and they made the right decision to renew it before it even released!

TDog April 18, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Love this show!!!!! Hope it will last for at least 5 years….

Tina Davis April 18, 2010 at 6:49 am

If you were to ask someone what words first spring to mind after watching the two debut episodes, they would not be the ones that you would associate with great television. Instead of great acting, great writing, and compelling production values, with Spartacus you can’t think of much beyond nudity, the irresponsible use of CGI, cardboardish writing, and blood

Brian April 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I have never loved a show as much as i have loved Spartacus. I watch Trueblood on HBO and I love it but it doesn’t even begin to compare to my love for Spartacus. I LOVE this show and would die if it didn’t come back, seriously. There have been promises of season 2, but its being delayed on account of Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) being diagnosed with Lymphoma so I hope he recovers because I don’t want to see anyone else in his place. GRAB HOLD OF YOUR COCK AND BE A MAN!!!!

spartacus April 17, 2010 at 6:46 pm

the show is great i watch it by accident on netflx just when they release the first episode!
and it was a cool show similar to 300 movie and gladiator , but after the past of the weeks it got its own thing , story , characters were start to feel original and unique .
the show its awesome and i never missed an episode until now! i missed the season finale!
and i can have enter netflix right now so i havent watch the season finale!!
im going crazy!!! i need to see it episode 12 got me on the edge of my couch!!
does some one know a live stream or someting!! im going crazy!!

Ewi April 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm

My wife and I enjoyed the show. We are hoping season 2 comes out soon.

Amber April 16, 2010 at 11:24 am

YES! Another season! I told the boyfriend it looked stupid, and I got hooked. I find myself yelling at the screen when Crixus is being an jerk or when Alithia is being the B that she is! Battiatus will meet his demise tonight! JUPITER’S COCK!!! Love it!!!

janet April 16, 2010 at 10:43 am

This show is awesome! I subscribed to Starz just to be able to watch it. IM HOOKED and glad it will be back for season 2 ( hopefully many more to come!)

Dustin April 16, 2010 at 7:11 am

not only is this show historically accurate it is extremely riveting and epic. You know how sometimes the only way to describe a movie is epic well the same goes for spartacus. way better than 300 tho i did love that movie and it also was very epic there isn’t a show that i’ve seen in a long time that compares to spartacus. i was hooked from the first episode and everyone that i have recommended watch this series feels the same as i do. starz really did it this time now lets hope they don’t screw the pooch on this one and keep it as epic through the next season

Jazmin April 16, 2010 at 6:57 am

I can’t believe how this show has grabbed my attention the way it has. I don’t have Starz but I will be sure to add it to my subscription just for this show alone. This show is unlike anything I have ever seen on TV. I am sad to say that I didn’t watch it from the very beginning but I took two days to watch all the episodes and catch up to the season finale. It’s captivating and very addictive. The characters are so complex and each have many layers. It’s interesting the way the writers twist the story to things that are not expected. WONDERFUL SHOW!!!! I hope it is around for a very long time. They sure have caught lightning in a bottle with this one!!

Lee Powless April 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm

NETFLIX!!! If you get Netflix Starz is on there….PLUS Spartacus episodes are available on Netflix before they even show in Starz.

This show is AMAZING