Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: NBC Changes Its Plans

Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford in Studio 60 on the Sunset StripDid I speak too soon? I don’t think so but, NBC has just announced that they will be pulling Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip one week earlier than previously planned. The Black Donnellys will begin on February 26th at 10pm instead of March 5th.

The schedule change comes as the result of Monday night’s poor showing in the ratings. The “Friday Night Slaughter” episode of Studio 60 attracted its lowest audience to date. Insiders say that the peacock network hasn’t made a final decision on Studio 60′s future and that the schedule change was made to give The Black Donnellys a strong launch in sweeps (which is getting a lot of promotion and will likely garner big numbers). No return date for Studio 60 has been set.

Personally, I still think that Studio 60 will still return to primetime. They have a lot of time and money vested into it. However, if NBC finds other programming that attracts significantly more viewers, there’s only so long they can stick with the Aaron Sorkin series. They might air the rest of this season but a second year would be highly unlikely. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Celeste February 22, 2007 at 6:47 am

I watch very little network television as it is…and Monday nights are a tv wasteland. The smartest thing on TV was Studio 60 and it’s to be replaced with more shoot’em up rubbish. If they pull it permanently, I will truly miss the well developed characters and dry humor of the show. How about trying a different time slot? Are ratings including those of us that DVR the show?

Mr. Salomon February 22, 2007 at 2:39 am

Canceling the smartest (and potentially most widely appealing if it weren’t for you hacks sticking your fingers into too many pots – this is why the chef should always have a meat cleaver) show on television for The *ahem* Black Donnellys??? (aka The Departed Meets the OC – please try not to rip off too many other ideas, will ya guys? No WONDER your network is in the dumper. You even have the Dropkick Murphy’s song from the Departed… bet you the Murphy’s are just as ticked off about Studio 60 as we are, but then again – they do get the royalties. Okay, I’m getting sidetracked…)

You want people to care about your network? You want us watching your shows with all the new 42″ plasmas we just bought? Then spare us the regurgitated “reality” B.S. and give us a show we can FALL IN LOVE WITH. Like this one.
Let us keep this one.

Stacie February 21, 2007 at 11:36 pm

I think it is ridiculous. I was a CSI: Miami fan and quite watching it because I enjoyed Studio 60 so much. It is smart and funny without being annoying. I for one will not even try to watch The Black Donnellys. Guess it’s back to CSI: Miami, or maybe even What About Brian!

Anonymous February 21, 2007 at 5:48 pm

I think Studio 60 writing is crisp, entertaining, and heartwarming. I agree that it is refreshing from the teenage dramas (Fri Night Lights) and cop/lawyer dramas (though I am a fan of L&O). Please, NBC decision-makers, give this show a chance! And market it!

VeggieVixen™ February 21, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Wow… I’m SO disappointed with the network over this cancelled show. I’m a huge fan of the show and the sarcastic wit of the script always had me snickering out loud in my living room. Poor judgement on NBC’s part. The show would have been great for many years!

Suncho February 21, 2007 at 8:19 am

Studio 60 one of the best shows out there. I know I, and many others would be very disappointed if it were to get cancelled. There’s a Save Studio 60 Petition online:

There are over 3,000 signatures so far!

brandon February 20, 2007 at 8:07 pm

it’s official.. NBC is a buncha stupid retards

Sorkin fan February 20, 2007 at 4:59 pm

While we can all acknowledge the inconsistencies in Studio 60, the show has to be better than Irish boys wielding bats. We enjoy the writing, the humor and most of the plotlines. Unlike so many shows it is possible for the occasional viewer to understand the characters. Put it in a different time slot if necessary or make us part of the Nielsen pool.

Stella February 20, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Let’s see: the writing was sharp and intelligent, the setting was interesting, the acting was terrific, the humor quick and often dark and ironic, and the plots were fast-paced and intriguing. Why am I surprised that it was cancelled??? After all, we can still see all the sick reality shows we want!

jennie February 20, 2007 at 7:36 am

when are these networks gonna get a clue? i can’t stand the reality series they always seem to add to their lineup. i’m tired of the law & order series and shows of that type. they set this series up to fail by pitting it against csi:miami.

i liked this because the subject matter was different than anything out there. the networks have to stop trying to fight for the same 10 time slots and take advantage of some of the time slots the 20somethings aren’t watching. there are other viewers in this world.

this isn’t really a show that would appeal to 20somethings. it’s not fast-paced enough. it doesn’t have any blood/gore or car crashes. it’s quasi-intellectual. it builds its characters. it builds its storylines. it’s a show for my generation . . . but, then, i guess i don’t count.

i hope they bring it back in another, not so popular, time slot. but, then, the 20somethings won’t watch it because they’ll be out partying while the parents of the world are sitting at home. o well.

sarah February 19, 2007 at 11:09 pm

omg.
i cant beleive that they are pulling studio 60, and friday night lights is still on.
i mean come on!
i love studio 60, and really hope they bring it back on!!

Connie February 19, 2007 at 4:12 pm

When do people with positive and measurable IQ finally get a break? Every time there is an interesting show that departs from “cops and robbers” “docs and patients” or showcasing of uninteresting people in the hopes that making them do stupid things will make them interesting, it gets cancelled. First the show was against one of the most popular shows on TV. Then there was also football…. Then the show went on vacation. Then it was just resumed without fanfare.

Guess its time to see what is on the Discovery and History channgels….I just feel sorry for the people who don’t have cable.

KC February 18, 2007 at 11:44 am

I hope reconsider some of the story lines and renew the show. I was pleased about the premise and setting! I prefer exploring a TV comedy staff than the violent action drama that is about to replace Studio 60. I think there are many people that tape the show and the Nielsens shouldn’t discount those numbers. I hope they start to give shows atleast a second season to develop like they did for all the past hits that ran for years. Look at SEINFELD….it wasn’t a hit in the first season!

Craig February 17, 2007 at 5:43 pm

This show never really did anything for me. I gave it a chance because I have enjoyed Matthew Perry in the past, but the rest of the cast and the writing were just not interesting enough to keep me watching. After three episodes, I had to cut it.

Marc February 14, 2007 at 11:14 am

NO!!! Another great TV show being cut to make room for some seemingly teen friendly crap or mindless reality show.