Surviving Jack: First Look at the New FOX Comedy

FOX has picked up several new shows for the 2013-14 season — including Surviving Jack, a comedy that stars Christopher Meloni and is based on a book by $#*! My Dad Says’ Justin Halpern.

Here’s their description and a photo from the pilot:
survivingjack02

SURVIVING JACK (working title) is a new single-camera ensemble comedy based on best-selling author Justin Halpern’s semi-autobiographical book, “I Suck at Girls.” Set in 1990s Southern California, Emmy Award nominee Christopher Meloni stars as a man becoming a dad, as his son is becoming a man, in a time before “coming of age” was something you could Google

SURVIVING JACK (wt) is produced by Doozer Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Based on best-selling author Justin Halpern’s book, “I Suck at Girls,” the series is created by Halpern (“$#*! My Dad Says”) and Patrick Schumacker (“$#*! My Dad Says”) who wrote the pilot. The series is executive-produced by Halpern, Schumacker, Emmy Award nominee Bill Lawrence (“Spin City,” “Scrubs,” “Clone High,” “Cougar Town”) and Jeff Ingold. Victor Nelli (“Scrubs,” “The Bernie Mac Show”) directed the pilot.

Other new FOX shows are Almost Human, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Dads, Enlisted, Gang Related, Rake, Sleepy Hollow, and Us & Them.

What do you think? Based on this limited information, will you give Surviving Jack a chance?

Canceled and renewed TV show

30 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Thomas says

I CAN’T believe I just heard that FOX has CANCELLED Surviving Jack!?! My friends and I are sooo disappointed in FOX. Finally a sitcom that wasn’t dumbed down, sugar sweet cutesy or just out right stupid, I wish there was way to save it!

2. Tricia says

This show was so laugh-out-loud funny – I can’t believe they cancelled it! My family is so disappointed. They really didn’t give this show much time to catch on. I only found out about this show 2 episodes ago and ended up catching up on the rest of the episodes. There are so few decent shows on any more. Please reconsider!!!

3. Marnie says

This is one of the intelligently funny shows on TV. Appeals to both my husband and son, who both often laugh out loud. All the characters are ones that most of us can relate to.

4. P Miles says

This show is so funny. And very much like the 90’s I grew up in. One of the best sitcoms on TV today. Please do not cancel this!

5. Barri says

I love this show ! I laugh at how their situations are so funny. Just love the show. Wished they would have given it a chance. I just LOVED this show, what more can I say.

6. janet says

I heard this show was being cancelled?!?!?!?! REALLY!!!! Best new show we’ve watched. My husband usually hates comedys because moost are just plain stupid, not funny. THIS show is hysterical. PLEASE keep it going

• Jeanette says

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA…I love this show…finally one with some common sense.

• harleygirl says

my family LOVES it too. I rarely hear my husband laugh out load , but this one is so much like him , he can’t help himself but rofl . Look forward to it every week- Please don’t cancel !!!!!!!

7. C S. says

My husband I can’t wait for Surviving Jack to come on. We laugh so hard we have tears. We loved Christopher Meloni on SVU but we also love him is Surviving Jack. Hysterical show, hysterical cast.

8. Charles Bernstein says

I watched Surviving Jack and I was singularly impressed. It was the “Great Santini” with a laugh track; the only missing item was the leather flight jacket. Maybe I have a hard time seeing Meloni in any other character but Elliot Stabler, after all he was on SVU for over 12 years. The show needs to do something to break out of the middle of the pack, and showing a semi-topless daughter in her bed room with her boyfriend isn’t it.

9. Jeanette says

Just saw the commercial for surviving Jack…what a hoot!!! Can hardly type,I’m laughing so hard…I’m a 65 yr old , old lady…can’t wait for this one…tytyty.