Tell Me You Love Me: HBO Cancels Racy Drama, No Season Two

IMAGEEight months after HBO picked up Tell Me You Love Me for a second year, the TV series hasn’t returned. Now, apparently, it never will. What happened?

The sexually-explicit drama debuted on September 9, 2007 and revolves around three couples, each with their own set of intimacy problems. They seek help from Dr. May Foster (Jane Alexander), an analyst with relationship issues of her own. The series’ ensemble cast includes Michelle Borth, Tim DeKay, Luke Kirby, Adam Scott, David Selby, Katharine Towne, Sonya Walger, and Ally Walker. The tenth episode aired on November 10, 2007.

The ratings for the show’s first season weren’t great but HBO renewed Tell Me for another season after just four episodes had aired. Despite the renewal, the show didn’t return to production. Now, it appears that the reason for the stall was that creator/executive producer Cynthia Mort couldn’t figure out what should come next.

In a written statement, she said, “Given the considerable amount of time that has passed and despite the best efforts of everyone involved, we were unable to find the direction of the show for the second season. There are so many other stories to tell and many other ways to tell them. I look forward to doing that with HBO in the future.”

The cancellation decision was apparently a mutual decision. HBO has a development deal with Mort and intends to continue working with her. Michael Lombardo, HBO’s West Coast president, said, “We really feel Cynthia has an important voice that belongs on HBO and we look forward to the next show she will create for us.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

68 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

I agree with Tanya. After a whole season of following these characters we’re just left hanging. Why not write this as a film if you have nowhere to go with it? I can’t believe this writer did not have enough of a creative mind to continue these stories. I could come up with some great ones myself!! I think this writer’s credibility has definitely been damaged & I wouldn’t think much of hbo giving her another chance with a series. What has happened to hbo shows anyway? All the good ones are on Showtime.

2. laf says

I have to say i agree with swede_pete…I dont buy it!!!! this was one of the BEST shows on tv. the writing was dead on.. so raw, which is how REAL life is lived …in the flesh not sugar coated like so many other shows out there. I had no problem with the shows blatant sexuality…actually, I thought it was amazing that HBO had the guts to show and talk about REAL issues and how couples deal with them..or lack there of. Lets face it, Sex is a part of life, it’s never going away so why cant we look at it as something that we don’t need to be ashamed of…this is what i think ‘Tell me’ did and the characters had SO much potential. I know i could definitely relate to jamie and hugo’s relationship and was so releaved to see that i was not alone in realizing that sex can be and often is used as a major form of communication….wether its right or not, i dont know but at least it’s honesty without the words…

BRING THIS SHOW BACK!!!

3. E says

I am sooo disappointed that Tell Me You Love Me will not return for a 2nd season…It was such a great show!!!!! Please bring it back HBO!!!

4. Jane says

Anyone who has never seen a full episode of this short-lived series is really missing out…i wish they did a second season just to end it properly, this was definitely one of my favorite shows!

5. Sarah says

I am so disappointed to read that this FANTASTIC show will not continue. It is a big mistake to cancel – I know many people feel the same way I do. This was a real look, at real issues. Big mistake HBO – bring back Tell Me You Love Me!!!!

6. THE TRUTH says

the show was garbage, the actresses were trashy and the topics were lame. HBO puts out shows 100x better. tell me you love me was out of desperation.

7. Tanya says

I am making a note of Cynthia Mort’s name – I wont even bother to watch anything else she writes.

If you are going to be a one season wonder – write a screenplay – not a series.

The least she could have done was wrap up the lives of the characters instead of leaving everyone hanging like that.

What a waste of my time I am sticking with Showtime. Dexter, Califiornication, Tudors….

8. Catherine says

This was a show that was designed for adults, about real adults. HBO should have let it go for another season, it will be missed at my house.

9. swede_pete says

When I finally find a great show like this dealing with every day problems that many relations have, it’s cancelled!? Supposedly because the writer can’t come up with something? How is it possible that you can write such good material for the first season and coming up blank for the second?! Sorry I’m just finding that hard to believe. *Thumbs down*

10. DANNY says

IT SEEMS WHEN HBO GETS A GOOD ONE IT GOES AWAY.
    TAXI CAB CONFESSIONS HAVENT SEEN ANY NEW FROM THAT .
    REAL SEX NOTHING THERE EITHER
    SOPRANOS (ENOUGH SAID )
    6 FEET UNDER
    SEX IN THE CITY
    AND NOW TELL ME YOU LOVE ME . WHEN SEX IN THE CITY WENT OFF MY WIFE WAS OH WELL AT LEAST WE STILL HAVE TELL ME YOU LOVE ME AND
    APPARENTLY NOT. FOR A CHANNEL WHICH WAS STELLAR THEY ARE LOSING IT

11. jess says

I was just checking to see when the show was returning and to find this out…it sucks. I loved this show. It was sexy and full of drama. Very realistic and I agree that many situations between the couples were not solved. They should have at least finished it off right :(

12. Mrs. H says

Wow…. What a bummer…. I too was looking forward to a new season. Please, HBO, when cancelling a series, wrap it up. Don’t leave us hanging in the wind…..