The Finder: Cancelled; No Season Two

season two of The Finder canceledBones has been a quiet hit for FOX but the same can’t be said for its spin-off, The Finder. FOX has now cancelled the low-rated series after one season.

The Finder is a procedural series that revolves around a man (Geoff Stults) with the extraordinary ability to help people find the unfindable. Other castmembers include Maddie Hasson, Mercedes Masohn, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

The spin-off debuted on January 12th to a disappointing 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.50 million total viewers. It was fourth in its Thursday night timeslot right out of the gate and lost nearly 30% of the all-important demo from its compatible lead-in, Bones. This was not a good start.

Should The Finder have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Things picked up a bit in the following weeks, thanks in large part to the show having FOX’s blockbuster American Idol as a lead-in. Still, the numbers weren’t as high as they should have been.

After seven weeks on the air, FOX put Finder on hiatus and then moved it to Friday nights, giving its Thursday timeslot to Touch. If The Finder could maintain a healthy percentage of its viewers after the switch, it would likely garner a renewal.

But that didn’t happen and Finder’s numbers dropped like a rock. In its first Friday airing, the freshman series attracted a 1.1 demo rating — an episode-to-episode loss of 53% — with just 4.03 million viewers. The numbers for future episodes fluctuated a bit but didn’t really get any more encouraging. The network could do just as well or better by running cheaper reality programming.

The season finale of The Finder is set to air this Friday night and there won’t be any episodes after that. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall early enough and won’t leave viewers hanging with any major unresolved storylines.

What do you think? What went wrong with this show? Why do you think The Finder failed to attract a bigger audience? Was cancelling the series the right decision? How would you have fixed it?

Brianna April 23, 2013 at 12:23 am

I think Netflix should pick up the show like it did with Arrested Development. This show has MAJOR promise. Sadly, I think it just aired at the wrong time and cut its losses WAY too early.

Nick April 22, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I also found this wonderful show “The Finder” on Netflix and also l8ve it! I have not finished watching all the episoids yet but decided to see if there were other episoids after the 1st season and that is how I got here. Sadly I found that it was canceled after the short 1st season…I am so surprised that this show didn’t get high ratings? It just had to be because people like myself just didn’t find it until after the fact and not during the most important time when the ratings are rated…not when on Netflix! Man this show was truly a wonderful show! With all the horrible crap on tv now…nothing but people murdering people and and giving already unstable minds new ideas on how to murder people as if they are just objects not human beings…… This showwas not like that it they had ways of bringing good out of the bad….Just reading post from the person tnay posted aboit their sister thay had brain damaige also but was a beautiful person and they were able to relate to this show and no telling how many others did also. We are mot all perfect and none ones minds work the same….we all are individuals and it takes all of us to make up tthe world. We may not understand someone that seems to think and act so different from the norm but as it proved in the show just because they may seem a little….ok a lot “goofy!…..doesn’t mean they are not highly intelligent…and may be smarter then the average bear!!!
I know nothing I say or anyone else says wiil bring this show back…but somehow somewhere someone screwed up for not figuring out why this hit show failed in ratings….all the money that could have been made if someone would have done their job right….thats mu conclusion to the why or what could have been done…It was mot the outsider viewers…it had to be on the inside that failed…and not the cast members for sure they were GREAT!!! Final words…..WHAT ASHAME….

Jenny April 22, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I just finished watching season 1 on Netflix yesterday and could not believe that was the end. I think the premise is great and could have been expanded on in so many different ways1 I was so tired of the CSIs of the world and this was refreshingly interesting yet stress-free. I have never left a comment before and the extent of my TV watching is limited to The History Channel or National Geographic for the most part but I am truly sad it is over. RIP Michael Clarke Duncan.

Matt davis April 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm

This show is amazing loved every episode and it needs to be back on right now!!

Mike April 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm

This was a fun change from regular TV series. They say their rating where low, but when did they advertise the show? I watch TV daily and always looking for something different with action, interesting plots and less drama with who is bedding who. I hope some one continues the series or writes a book,

Helen April 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I just FOUND – THE FINDER on Netflix. I am EXTREMELY disappointed that I just read it was canceled! It has SUBSTANCE, VALUE, PURPOSE and BEAUTY! I have an oldest sister who is brain damaged, as a result of being hit by a drunk driver (she was 20 in 1967 – and is now 65) … she is highly intelligent, a good person, but has issues with emotional response. The lead character WALTER – is a FINE EXAMPLE of the WORTH and VALUE of a person with BRAIN DAMAGE – who may THINK and ACT unlike society’s NORM – but it’s a GOOD THING! The show honors LOVE and ACCEPTANCE of folks who walk a different path – such as the young girl embraced and loved and accepted – and GUIDED to turn her life around. The WORTH and VALUE of the ex-military soul, wounded and challenged as a result of that wound – yet TURNING IT AROUND to make a great purpose to his life … AND – THE BEAUTIFUL SOUL who ACCEPTS and GUIDES them both – as well as protects them. The LAND of MISFITS – that FIT WELL into SOCIETY to help it see life from a BEAUTIFULLY PHresh Outlook! My sister Dolly was LABELED as PSYCHIATRIC vs Brain Damaged – and I had to STAND UP FOR HER and FIGHT FOR HER RIGHTSs as an intelligent, brain damaged woman – at her nursing home. THIS SHOW IS VERY VALUABLE – the best thing I’ve found on NETFLIX – yet! DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING – and more episodes. Stop DUMMIFYING AMERICA with PREDICABLE Show formats that don’t CHALLENGE THE MIND!

Helen Intellectual April 20, 2013 at 9:14 am

I just FOUND – THE FINDER on Netflix. I am EXTREMELY disappointed that I just read it was canceled! It has SUBSTANCE, VALUE, PURPOSE and BEAUTY! I have an oldest sister who is brain damaged, as a result of being hit by a drunk driver (she was 20 in 1967 – and is now 65) … she is highly intelligent, a good person, but has issues with emotional response. The lead character WALTER – is a FINE EXAMPLE of the WORTH and VALUE of a person with BRAIN DAMAGE – who may THINK and ACT unlike society’s NORM – but it’s a GOOD THING! The show honors LOVE and ACCEPTANCE of folks who walk a different path – such as the young girl embraced and loved and accepted – and GUIDED to turn her life around. The WORTH and VALUE of the ex-military soul, wounded and challenged as a result of that wound – yet TURNING IT AROUND to make a great purpose to his life … AND – THE BEAUTIFUL SOUL who ACCEPTS and GUIDES them both – as well as protects them. The LAND of MISFITS – that FIT WELL into SOCIETY to help it see life from a BEAUTIFULLY PHresh Outlook! I wrote a book about accepting life in all it’s forms of expression. My sister Dolly was LABELED as PSYCHIATRIC vs Brain Damaged – and I had to STAND UP FOR HER and FIGHT FOR HER RIGHTSs as an intelligent, brain damaged woman – at her nursing home. THIS SHOW IS VERY VALUABLE – the best thing I’ve found on NETFLIX – yet! DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING – and more episodes. Stop DUMMIFYING AMERICA with PREDICABLE Show formats that don’t CHALLENGE THE MIND!

Anita April 19, 2013 at 11:42 pm

The Finder was fresh, funny, unexpected and engaging. No wonder it was canceled! If its not spoon fed stupidity or vouyerism, there is no place for it in the American market. Also no wonder more and more people are turning to the BBC on Netflix to find something worth watching.
Sad to see this one go. The finale was such a pitifully sad end to an otherwise upbeat show.

Abraham April 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm

The Finder is a great show! I was an original fan from the start, I remember when the main characters where introduce in season 6 episode 19 of bones. When I heard they were creating the show as a spin-off, I wondered how it would do and it did great. It has it all- humor, suspense, intrigue, and a well organized cast. I am what people would call a tv buff in the case of movies and shows. It was sad to hear of the loss of Michael Clarke Duncan, who is going to be a hard man to replace, but to end the show is ludicrous. I agree with everyone who would like to see USA network pick it up if FOX does not want to continue the show. So come on season 2!

Mark April 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

BRING BACK THE FINDER… Finally a decent show on TV. Who needs what is called Reality TV- REALLY. I know with Michael Clark Duncan’s Death, the original cast make-up will have to change. Once in a while Hollywood gets something right!!! What a Great Show!!!

Kyle E April 18, 2013 at 2:12 am

Bring back the FINDER…I found this show on Netflix and was blown away…There are so few smart , funny shows with good writers…USA would be a good fit or maybe Netflix/Hulu as an on demand series.

Daniel Gregory April 17, 2013 at 11:29 pm

BRING BACK THE FINDER one of the greatest funniest shows i ever watched

Angelo April 14, 2013 at 11:14 am

i have been watching this show on netflix for the past few days, and i think its a great show for the following reaasons. Hillarious,crime not so groosim, and it has a great story line.

Natalie April 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm

heres an idea…. GET RID OF REALITY TV!!! its not that real anyways and its pointless, stupid, un original, crap that mostly a bunch of drama loving teenage kids watch. like they need to be watching that dirt anyway. BRING THE FINDER BACK!!!

steve April 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Hey USA network here is a show that can fill in between Suits and Burn notice.It has character