The Gates: ABC TV Show Cancelled; Stars and Writers React and Thank Fans

The GatesAs expected, ABC has cancelled The Gates after one season on the air. The ratings certainly didn’t dictate a second season and a couple weeks ago, series star Frank Grillo said that he’d heard unofficially that the show wouldn’t be back.

Though even actress Lindsay Lohan wanted to see it return, it’s now been confirmed that The Gates has indeed been cancelled. Some of the people connected with the show have tweeted about the series’ passing.

From the show’s Twitter feed comes, “We would like to thank our followers for sticking with us through this great journey.”

Gates creator Richard Hatem wrote simply, “Thanks to everyone who loved it. DVD set to be released…someday?”

Consulting producer and writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe tweeted, “Thank you to #TheGates fans, crew & cast for a great run. It was a blast. Seriously some of the best fans ever.” He later posted, “4 sale, lux devlpmnt/incrprtd town w/ upscale owners, prvt police/fire, exclnt school, occasional mysterious death”

Colton L Haynes wrote, “Was a great/fun experience and thk u all for coming along for the ride!. He followed that up with, “THE GATES cast and crew: thk u all for the good times! Learned alot and had a great summer with u all! Cheers to the future!” and posted this photo with #ripBrettCreski. Wolfe responded, “Sob… Too young!”

The GatesJames Preston looks forward to the future, tweeting, “No worries gates fans follow us on to our new exciting roles!” Travis Caldwell echoed that sentiment, saying, “its all good more to come from all of us !!!”

Justin Miles wrote, “We gave em a hell of a run, though…” Janina Gavankar feels similarly, saying, “Sad. But we’re incredibly proud of what we made.”

Young McKaley Miller tweeted, “thank you guys for all the support!! seriously, y’all are awesome!! #TheGates is officially over, but it was such a great experience!! TY :)”

Andrea Powell wrote, “Thanks for all the love, fans of #TheGates. We’ll miss you! :-*”

Rachel Dipillo wrote, “We had a fun ride on The Gates. Love everyone I worked with and can’t wait to see what you do next! #RIPLEXIEWADE”

Grillo tweeted, “Thanks to all of you for supporting us. It made the whole thing worth it. Lots more fun stuff coming.” Grillo also said that he’d share what would have happened in the second season. After son Charlie is saved, Nick and his family would have stayed in the Gates community. The Radcliffs decide to take a break from one another. Leigh becomes the head of the police and Nick takes over the Gates board and oversees the community.

What do you think? Are you sorry that The Gates won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to see happen?

Lady January 19, 2013 at 2:44 am

O wow no season 2 that’s all bad I didn’t even know it existed until I saw it on nextflixs….I wish there is something we can do to bring it back…I wonder what’s gonna happen with Charlie and ESP sweet Andy….like a sequence…lol twisted thriller….please read our comments and reply…BTW if it does return….get rid of Devin and not make Charlie too bad that he can’t be a good guy any more so he can marry Andy…;-)$$ TY

Margarita January 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I have to agree, i was disappointed that THE GATES didnt come out with a season 2. I just watched it on netflix and really enjoyed. I would have watched it on tv everytime when season 1 came out but iam sorry to say that i didnt even know it came out.

Gladys Pearson January 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

I know how other viewers feel.I too hate that every time you make a good tv show like the gates and the nine lives of choel king they get cancled.I also don’t understand way you ever wanted to cancle a great show like no ordnary family I love these showes I was so mad with ABC Family for doing this.

Susan January 11, 2013 at 10:29 am

I so waited for abc to come out with a season 2! i was a huge fan of the show i think they need to bring it back for atleast onr more season! i am very disappointed at abc for getting me hooked and then let me down!

Wanting More January 10, 2013 at 1:35 am

What is up with these Networks cancelling these shows? Just watched The Secret Circle last week with hopes of seeing the new season and of course it was cancelled after the first season. Now I have just finished watching The Gates and what do I find IT’S BEEN CANCELLED!!! What the heck??!!!!
Another thing, I had never heard of either of these show till I saw them on Netflix. Maybe if there had been MORE advertising for these shows they would still be on the air!!! But of course they were good shows worth watching unlike all of the trashy reality shows and/or shows like Honey BoBo, Red Neck corn dog eaters, not to mention all of the show that air real death and violence in true life. I would much rather is the fiction.

Kris January 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm

they must make a season 2. There were too many loose ends. Atleast a couple episodes to finish it off or maybe a movie. I need to know what happens. I think there has to be some way to petition for a second season.

donna January 8, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Could someone at least write a book and finish the story? Would sure like to know what happens to everyone. I enjoyed this series. Hadn’t heard of it before looking around on Netflix. Too bad it didn’t get more publicity when it was showing. I’m sure it would have had a big enough audience to warrent a second season. Probably even more seasons.

Velma January 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Please bring the show back saw on Netflix and enjoy it please bring Season 2 BACK. GREAT SHOW PLEASE BRING BACK.

Velma January 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Tj January 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm

So sorry to here that the show has been cancel however i had no ideal about the show and only learn of it on netflix. This come as sad news to me because i really enjoyed the show and couldnt wait for next season to begain. thanks sad fan

Davyth January 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Bring it back ! Period

Anonymous January 6, 2013 at 4:00 am

i just did the same thing anf i watched all the episodes over and over again please come back

Robert January 1, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I just finished watching all 13 episodes on Netflix and it was a great show. I had not even heard of the Gates until I saw it on Netflix. I kinda left a cliff hanger with the last episode. I hope they decide to continue it one day.

Deonta December 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

The gates is one of the best tv shows of 2012.if you like vampire dairies.you will love the drama behind the gates.I would love to see another season

Sandy December 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm

So sorry this is cancelled. Please run again with same actors.

CHI December 29, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I NEVER HEARD OF THIS SHOW BEFORE UNTIL I SEEN IT ON NETFLIX. WHAT AN AWESOME SHOW!! IT’S UNFORTUNATE THAT THE SHOW DID NOT GET MUCH PUBLICITY WHEN ON ABC. I THINK THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE VIEWERS. “THE GATE” NEEDS TO RETURN TO TV FOR SEASON 2!!!! CHARLIE IS NOW A POSSESSED WHAT????? DEVON CRAZY SELF FOUND A LOOPHOLE TO STAY ALIVE!!! DYLAN AND CLAIR’S BACK IS AGAINST THE WALL WITH THE VAMPIRE BOSSES. WEREWOLVEVES? THEY NEEDED MORE DRAMA!! WHAT THE HECK IS IN LEE’S BOX; HER HEART? DOES THAT MEAN SHE IS THE WALKING DEAD?? BRING BACK “THE GATE!”

Pam January 14, 2013 at 11:35 am

Devon, I understand how you feel. However, caps only stop a person from listening to you. Anyway, I am on the 11th episode on Netflix and it is intense. But I don’t and can’t pin myself down to times to watch things. A night out may be easy enough to plan out but TV? C’mon, It’s a busy world we live in. TV doesn’t control me when the digital media is there to allow us to watch it anytime we want. ABC’s problem, just like the other networks creating potential hit shows, rely on ratings. Well, ratings don’t work anymore and they don’t know what to do ((that’s the way it looks to me, anyway.) Try researching this a bit ABC, ratings don’t work anymore. I have watched a lot of shows I really like on Netflix and it is sad & disappointing to know it is over before I get to watch it. You can make money through Netflix and Blockbuster and all of the other places that want to host a service that allows their customer base to be happy and willing to spend to see it. Most of us can only watch this stuff on our time, not yours. Accept is, deal with it and you will survive the economy. Anyway…I absolutely LOVE this show. Please consider remaking your ratings policy as well as your money making policy. It would make a lot of people happy who never even knew about the show in the first place. Or, hopefully someone else will pick it up, like cable ;)