The Michael J Fox Show: “Cancelled” by NBC

michael j fox show canceledNBC has dropped The Michael J Fox Show from the Thursday night schedule.

Loosely mirroring Fox’s own journey, the series revolves around a beloved TV news anchor (Fox) who stepped away from his career to focus on his family and his health after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. The rest of the cast includes Betsy Brandt, Conor Romero, Juliette Goglia, Katie Finneran, Wendell Pierce, Ana Nogueira, and Jack Gore.

The network committed to producing 22 episodes when they gave the show a straight-to-series order. It was believed that they might just let them all air but the ratings have been terrible. The most recent episode garnered a 0.7 rating and just 2.2 million viewers.

All 22 episodes of The Michael J Fox Show have been shot but only 15 have aired thus far. It’s unclear if or when the remaining seven will see the light of day.

Winter Olympics coverage will fill Thursday nights until Hollywood Game Night steps into the 9pm timeslot starting February 27th.

NBC previously cancelled Sean Saves the World and Welcome to the Family, their other newbie sitcoms.

Update: NBC maintains the show hasn’t been cancelled (yet) and may air the remaining episodes.

What do you think? Did you like the series? Will you miss it? Why didn’t it work?

Bethany April 22, 2014 at 1:52 am

They need to bring the Micheal J. Fox back I loved this show it was funny and haleriuos! It says at the bottom they are bringing The Micheal J Fox show back. They better bring it back.

Rosemary April 21, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I really loved this show. I looked forward to watching it every week. Very disappointed when they took it off. They always take away the good wholesome shows and leave the garbage on. It was so good to see Michael J Fox again. I think he is so funny and so couragious and has such a wonderful sense of humor. Please bring it back.

Bethany April 2, 2014 at 1:46 am

I want the micheal J Fox show to come back. I loved it and thought it was funny. Please let it come back on tv and stay on tv so we can watch it again and more. I want to see more episodes of this show and continue making the show with more new episodes.

David March 24, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I’d like to see the remaining episodes. It was one of the very few shows that was actually funny.

Sue March 8, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I watched a few episodes and really liked it. My issue was that it was opposite too many other already established shows with many followers making it difficult for any new show. My plan was to watch it On Demand. As always, major stations never give these 30 minute shows a chance before they drop them.

Steve March 5, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I thought it was great and I’m really disappointed.

Cindy March 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I am really gonna miss this show. I believed it failed at the fault of NBC. First, it wasn’t advertised enough. I didn’t even know it existed till the fifth episode. I had to go online to catch up and then watched it regularly from then on. Second, NBC put it up against CBS The Crazy Ones. It is really hard for anyone to beat Robin Williams. And CBS put Robin in a major CBS time slot to start with. I was actually watching The Crazy Ones when I switched to Michael’s show. Using the DVR for Robin. :-) Honestly if the same network would have got both these shows and started them back to back it would have been a landslide for ratings. So with 2 strikes (day/timeslot and bad marketing) against the show from the start it didn’t have a chance. I do wish NBC would air the last 5 episodes!

Diane March 1, 2014 at 10:27 pm

So typical that a good quality show is canceled!!! We really liked the show. It’s the kind of show that you have to watch a few times in order to be drawn in and see how ingeniously witty it is. Very successful shows from the past like Seinfeld or Friends took time to appreciate the hidden humor and for the chemistry of the characters to develop. Very disappointed!!!! Boo to NBC for canceling a class act and keeping a lot of garbage shows.

malina February 28, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I was very happy to see MJF again but the series was quite dull and the characters lacked charisma. Sorry for its cancellation anyway.

Lana February 26, 2014 at 12:04 am

I enjoyed the show very much, and I wish it would continue. It was great to see MJF back onscreen on a “weekly” basis.
NBC always cancels the shows I like and keeps the ones I don’t like, which is why I don’t watch many shows on that network.