The Michael J Fox Show: “Cancelled” by NBC

michael j fox show canceledNBC has dropped The Michael J Fox Show from the Thursday night schedule.

Loosely mirroring Fox’s own journey, the series revolves around a beloved TV news anchor (Fox) who stepped away from his career to focus on his family and his health after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. The rest of the cast includes Betsy Brandt, Conor Romero, Juliette Goglia, Katie Finneran, Wendell Pierce, Ana Nogueira, and Jack Gore.

The network committed to producing 22 episodes when they gave the show a straight-to-series order. It was believed that they might just let them all air but the ratings have been terrible. The most recent episode garnered a 0.7 rating and just 2.2 million viewers.

All 22 episodes of The Michael J Fox Show have been shot but only 15 have aired thus far. It’s unclear if or when the remaining seven will see the light of day.

Winter Olympics coverage will fill Thursday nights until Hollywood Game Night steps into the 9pm timeslot starting February 27th.

NBC previously cancelled Sean Saves the World and Welcome to the Family, their other newbie sitcoms.

Update: NBC maintains the show hasn’t been cancelled (yet) and may air the remaining episodes.

What do you think? Did you like the series? Will you miss it? Why didn’t it work?

CEM September 10, 2014 at 10:06 am

BRING THAT MICHAEL J. FOX SHOW BACK, DANG IT.
THAT SHOW WAS JUST WHAT WAS NEEDED TO BRING MORE
AWARENESS TO PARKINSONS AND ALSO IT WAS GRRRRRREAT
TO MICHAEL J. FOX AGAIN. HE IS A BRILLIANT ACTOR.
THIS WAS THE ONLY SHOW THAT MADE ME REALLY LAUGH IN
A LONG TIME. NBC IS SUCH A DWEEF – I WON’T WATCH NBC
UNTIL THEY BRING THAT SHOW BACK ON. AND KNOWING NBC THEY WILL
DO IT THEIR WAY – SO I WILL PROBABLY NEVER WATCH NBC AGAIN.
THIS REMINDS ME OF THE ORIGINAL STAR TREK – CANCELLED BUT STILL HAD A FOLLOWING FOR YEARS AND THEN THEY BRING IT BACK 20YRS LATER IN
THE MOVIES. AND THEN PUT ON SUCKY “NEXT GENERATION” STAR TREK WHICH SUCKED AND DID NOT CONVEY THE MORALS AND VALUES THAT THE
ORIGINAL STAR TREK DID.

Bethany September 10, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I agree with you about The Micheal J. Fox show they need to bring it back. I loved him in he’s new show. And it was great for him since the last show he was on was Spin City which was a great and funny show. But he’s new Show was great for him cause he is a funny actor and for him having Parkensies Dieases. It was a great and Funny show. Please bring back The Micheal J.Fox show. We need it back it was a healerious show.

J. Jackson September 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

I loved the show once I found out it was on – which was after it was
cancelled. I work really long hours and don’t have cable and don’t watch
TV – cause there is nothing good on. I LOVE THE SHOW!. It was just what
was needed in that world of fakeness, dress up and make believe. What an
incredible person Mr. Fox is. I really enjoyed watching him again.
It did not bother me to watch him – it only impressed on me more what
an amazing person he is. Mr. Fox once again had me laughing a lot, crying a little,
and thinking – just like the good old days of watching him, and he looked great! Wish they would put the show back on in a better time slot or something. Was so looking forward to watching something meanful on TV again. I hope Mr. Fox continues to stay strong and positive – I don’t think anything can bring that man down. Praying he stays
strong and does not become another Hollywierd Sacrafice.

Thoughtful May 15, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I watched each of the shows, and felt that the characters and the storyline would continue to develop. Also, seeing Michael J. Fox trying to live a quality life while fighting a challenging disease was playing out in front of us in all its’ reality. Every tick he had was a tug at my heart. That didn’t mean that the show wasn’t thoroughly entertaining, but it meant we became aware of his, and his families challenges dealing with the disease with love and humor.

Bethany April 22, 2014 at 1:52 am

They need to bring the Micheal J. Fox back I loved this show it was funny and haleriuos! It says at the bottom they are bringing The Micheal J Fox show back. They better bring it back.

Rosemary April 21, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I really loved this show. I looked forward to watching it every week. Very disappointed when they took it off. They always take away the good wholesome shows and leave the garbage on. It was so good to see Michael J Fox again. I think he is so funny and so couragious and has such a wonderful sense of humor. Please bring it back.

Bethany April 2, 2014 at 1:46 am

I want the micheal J Fox show to come back. I loved it and thought it was funny. Please let it come back on tv and stay on tv so we can watch it again and more. I want to see more episodes of this show and continue making the show with more new episodes.

David March 24, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I’d like to see the remaining episodes. It was one of the very few shows that was actually funny.

Sue March 8, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I watched a few episodes and really liked it. My issue was that it was opposite too many other already established shows with many followers making it difficult for any new show. My plan was to watch it On Demand. As always, major stations never give these 30 minute shows a chance before they drop them.

Steve March 5, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I thought it was great and I’m really disappointed.

Cindy March 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I am really gonna miss this show. I believed it failed at the fault of NBC. First, it wasn’t advertised enough. I didn’t even know it existed till the fifth episode. I had to go online to catch up and then watched it regularly from then on. Second, NBC put it up against CBS The Crazy Ones. It is really hard for anyone to beat Robin Williams. And CBS put Robin in a major CBS time slot to start with. I was actually watching The Crazy Ones when I switched to Michael’s show. Using the DVR for Robin. :-) Honestly if the same network would have got both these shows and started them back to back it would have been a landslide for ratings. So with 2 strikes (day/timeslot and bad marketing) against the show from the start it didn’t have a chance. I do wish NBC would air the last 5 episodes!

Diane March 1, 2014 at 10:27 pm

So typical that a good quality show is canceled!!! We really liked the show. It’s the kind of show that you have to watch a few times in order to be drawn in and see how ingeniously witty it is. Very successful shows from the past like Seinfeld or Friends took time to appreciate the hidden humor and for the chemistry of the characters to develop. Very disappointed!!!! Boo to NBC for canceling a class act and keeping a lot of garbage shows.

malina February 28, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I was very happy to see MJF again but the series was quite dull and the characters lacked charisma. Sorry for its cancellation anyway.

Lana February 26, 2014 at 12:04 am

I enjoyed the show very much, and I wish it would continue. It was great to see MJF back onscreen on a “weekly” basis.
NBC always cancels the shows I like and keeps the ones I don’t like, which is why I don’t watch many shows on that network.

Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 2:00 am

I wish The Micheal J. Fox show would come back and continue too. It was funny and a great show. And it was amazing to see him acting again on tv. We need this show back on NBC so we can see Micheal again he is a great actor and I want to see him in this show more and to continue acting even though he has parkinse deases. I think NBC didn’t need to cancel show I am also tired of NBC canceling great shows like this one. It needs to come back. Please come back.