The Montel Williams Show: Cancelled After 17 Years

Montel WilliamsAfter 17 years on the air, Montel Williams and his talk show have been cancelled. But fans can take heart as neither are leaving the airwaves for the foreseeable future.

The Montel Williams Show first hit the airwaves on September 30, 1991 in New York and a few other markets. It was picked up for syndication the following year. The show generally focuses on uncontroversial subjects, personal stories, and the readings of self-proclaimed psychic Sylvia Browne. The show was nominated for Daytime Emmys in both 2001 and 2002. A decorated member of naval intelligence, this was the first show for host Williams. He received a Daytime Emmy in 1996 and was nominated in 2002.

CBS Television Distribution has announced that the Montel show is ending its run after 17 years on the air. The syndicated talk show’s fate was reportedly sealed when a number of FOX-owed stations decided against renewing the show for another year. Show production will continue through the rest of this season so new episodes should air for some time.

Though production is shutting down, the show isn’t going away anytime soon. CBS is offering local stations a “Best of Montel” compilation series for the 2008-08 season. It will feature 52 weeks of “some of the most exciting episodes” pulled from the talk show’s long run.

John Nogawski, president and COO of CBS TV Distribution, said, “We have been honored to have ‘Montel’ as a part of our family for the past 17 years, and we’re very excited that ‘Montel’ will live on through these ‘best of’ episodes.”

Of the cancellation, Williams was quoted as saying, “I can’t say thank you enough to those who’ve welcomed me into their homes for the past 17 years. It has been both an honor and a joy.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Anonymous July 23, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Welfare Mom’s show in 1990′s

Jo December 10, 2011 at 8:12 am

Montel I LOVED your shows and miss you on our tv but Sylvia Brown NO NO. I was embarrassed you just having her on tv. She was a joke.

Badu March 28, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love you men… F**k al them haters.. They can form a line…keep doin what you do montel much respect to u

JohnW. Lloyd, Ph.D. January 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Re. Series on religeous beliefs of esteemed psychics

Got the impression that you believe Sylvia Brown’s readings have after physical life spirit reality. A student of para-psychology for many years, I’ve encountered other gifted seers who seem to have the ability to communicate with those who have passed on to another demension. Raised a Baptist Minister’s son with a life of 83 years devoutly Christian, I believe the truly gifted ones have much offer in this realm. Perhaps already done, but I would find great interest in a program or symposium series on the religeous beliefs of esteemed psychics in a Round Table like format, and/or interview series. Too little space here to elaborate, but I think you would be an outstanding leader-moderater in such a TV series. Please respond.

Sincerely yours,

none of your business September 27, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Having been diagnosed with MS in 1991 I had a certain amount of respect for Montel Williams. I only watch TV shows that I record and I have never recorded your (his) show. I also don’t watch commercials very often, so no idea how long you (he) have (has) been advertising for Money Mutual.
Montel, YOU FUCKING SUCK!
Of all people to be doing this crap to another human being I would expect you not to participate in any way with this rip-off activity.
EAT SHIT!

KAL December 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Monte keep the word out there!!! Stick by your “Guns”, Speak the truth!!

Put up a Website so we can keep in touch with you!!!

crystal November 6, 2009 at 8:04 am

Omg! growing i would love to see your show with my mom. so inspiring. i just can not believe that the show is gone. Your a wonderful man, spend all your time with family. That is the greatest medicine out there. Thank you so much for touching my heart. good luck.