Tyrant: Cancel or Renew FX TV Show for Season Two?

Tyrant TV show on FX: canceled or season 2?Last night marked the season finale of the Tyrant TV show on FX. The episode left things up in the air but will there be a second season to resolve them? Will the series be renewed or will it be cancelled instead?

Tyrant revolves around the youngest son of a dictator who returns to his war-torn country in the Middle-East with his American family. The drama’s cast includes Adam Rayner, Ashraf Barhom, Moran Atias, Jennifer Finnigan, Anne Winters, Noah Silver, Mehdi Dehbi, Fares Fares, Alice Krige, Salim Daw, and Justin Kirk.

The series debuted in late June to 2.1 million viewers and a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers took a significant tumble in week two but have gone up and down as new episodes have been unveiled. The 10 episode season ended up averaging 1.55 million viewers with a 0.6 rating (a 0.55 actually).

While Tyrant hasn’t been a big ratings success for FX, it has done relatively well. I suspect that Tyrant will be renewed — not so much on the strength of the show’s ratings but because several of FX’s other shows are doing so poorly.

The Americans was down 33% year-to-year in viewership, The Bridge is down 37%, and new shows Married, Partners, and You’re the Worst have all been ratings disasters. In addition, the venerable Justified series is ending soon after six seasons. FX needs new shows and right now, a series with acceptable ratings is likely looking like a success.

But, what do you think? Do you like Tyrant? Should FX renew the series for a second season or should it be cancelled instead?

CBM September 4, 2014 at 12:21 am

Thought Tyrant was the hit of the FX shows. Compelling, drama and my family really looked forward to seeing season 2.

Mana September 4, 2014 at 12:20 am

What can I say, as the episodes and story line unfurled the characters settled into their respective rolls and lured me in. The show is different and refreshing giving a taste of middle eastern life with a country led by a dictator. Very topical with all the events in the Middle East over the last few years. Sure it doesn’t have the pizaz of the US set shows but then that’s something that I find appealing and different. Jamal keeps me on edge, never knowing what he’ll do next. There are times you feel for him and think if he had a different life he’d have turned out a great guy. Similarly with Barry as the episode unfurl his subdued personality is replaced by someone forced to make hard choices and take risks. Great show keep it coming……..seriously you can’t end it on this cliffhanger.

truzak September 4, 2014 at 12:00 am

This is the best show since ’24′. The final episode was a shocker. I can’t belive it’s not a slam-dunk renewal.

If FX does cancel it, they had better film a couple of episodes just to bring closure.

Sabiha September 3, 2014 at 11:59 pm

my heart pounds , every moment when i watch , what will happen next ,P L E A S E !!!!!!!
keep it on .

margie September 3, 2014 at 11:43 pm

This is a very good tv series…. Me and my husband always look forward to its next episode since its debut. It was not there last night. Please continue showing this. Has good story line-

Heather September 3, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Please please continue this series. I love the show. Plus I am dying to see what will happen next!

gabby September 3, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I love it!!! Please renew it ASAP :) always waiting for every Tuesday to come anxiously. Best show ever. Can’t wait for 2nd season ♡♡♡♡

Alimac September 3, 2014 at 10:15 pm

LOVED the show.. Disappointed it wasn’t on last night.. RENEW IT !!!

Dianna San September 3, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I love this series it best show on tv .

Desan Reid September 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm

My husband and I absolutely love this show! My husband says please, please, please renew the show,and he says next season he will have the his whole office watching!!!

Chuckey September 3, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I L o v e this show! So rich, well-developed, beautifully filmed. I’m hoping since it’s on fx, it will have a chance. Please keep it!!!

Patty Brooks September 3, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Love it!! Couldn’t wait for Tuesday nights.
I hope it comes back for anouther season

GENE SZOT September 3, 2014 at 8:15 pm

WAS NOT ON THIS TUESDAY ,KEEP IT ON!!!!!

Tom Dickson September 3, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I watch with skepticism, but enjoy the storyline.

Susie September 3, 2014 at 6:52 pm

The best show on TV in a long time!!!!!! We are all hooked on it and are going through withdrawals every Tuesday night!!!!!!!!!!