FX TV Show Ratings (updated 10/22/14)

FX TV showsFX has been churning out a lot of original scripted series. Some have been hits while many others have not. Which will be cancelled and which will be renewed? Stay tuned!

Scripted FX shows listed: American Horror Story, The Americans, Anger Management, The Bridge, Fargo, Justified, Louie, Married, Partners, Saint George, Sons of Anarchy, The Strain, Tyrant, and You’re the Worst.

Last update: Ratings for the most recent episode of Sons of Anarchy added.

There’s a lot of data that FX execs look at when deciding whether to renew or cancel a TV series but ratings are a major factor. Here’s an updated listing of all of their recent/current primetime scripted shows.

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also view them here and here.

You can see other networks’ rankings here:
ABC | CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released (usually a day or so after the broadcasts). The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

The demo numbers, which are typically most important to the broadcast networks, aren’t quite as vital to cable channels because their audiences are usually much smaller. Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

What do you think? Are you surprised by any of the ratings? Which shows should be doing better? Which one do you think will be cancelled next?

kc October 9, 2014 at 10:56 am

Too violent and graphic for me; good acting, though, especially the lead actor.

kat October 6, 2014 at 6:58 pm

It’s funny and true and mean. My favorite kind ;)

Ramon Hugo Martinez Lozano October 2, 2014 at 10:26 am

The Bridge is, along with The Strain, the best TV show!. This shows are the reason why my wife and myself tuned FX for the first time!… We hope many more seasons!

Mark Lindgren October 1, 2014 at 5:02 am

The strain is by far the best new show I have watched in a long time. Thank you.

Veronica September 20, 2014 at 10:20 pm

The two on the list that I watch and love are The Americans and You’re the Worst. I’m glad The Americans was renewed, and I desperately hope You’re the Worst is too. I tried watching Married, but dropped out after 4 episodes – all of the characters are awful and unrelatable for me, and there didn’t seem to be any original plot from one episode to the next.

I think part of the problem with ratings is that they can’t account for the growing number of people that watch TV and movies online, like myself, especially in that coveted 18-35 age group. I prefer to watch an illegal stream (versus Hulu or the FX website) because there are no commercials, just uninterrupted content. The only reason I have cable at all is for sports.

I need to check out The Strain because Guillermo del Toro, but I just can’t seem to find any other motivation. Too much good TV, too little time for another show.

McQ September 20, 2014 at 2:23 pm

The Bridge IS a GREAT show and so is Tyrant. I used to be in the 18-49 demographics (the gullible and will buy anything category, which is why advertisers love us so much). Life does go on after 49 ! ! ! Well, since being out of that category for a few years, my tastes haven’t really changed that much. One exception though … reality shows aren’t worth watching anymore since (and this is my opinion) I feel they are scripted for a predetermined outcome because chaos and drama is needed to hold the viewers’ attention. People in real life do not care for chaos and confrontation. At least, that’s what I think. The newest reality entry “Utopia” is horrid! These shows promote bad behavior, period!

Kate Fredericks October 5, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Exactly right, McQ! Those of us over 49 are wiser, are more savvy, have more time to watch shows, and have more disposable income (not too mention grandchildren to spoil). So, naturally the advertisers turn up their noses at us. DUH…..

Kate Fredericks October 5, 2014 at 12:44 pm

And SOA, Tyrant, justified, The Bridge, The Americans and Fargo are THE BEST SHOWS ON TV!! No argument!! (And The Walking Dead.)