V: ABC Cancels Sci-Fi TV Series; No Season Three

V season three canceledSadly, the Visitors aren’t among us any longer. After two short seasons, ABC has cancelled their V TV series.

A reimagining of the original V, this series tells the tale of what happens when an advanced alien race arrives of Earth professing their desire to help mankind. Fortunately, not everyone trusts them. The second season features the talents of Charles Mesure, Elizabeth Mitchell as Erica Evans, Joel Gretsch, Laura Vandervoort, Logan Huffman, Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, and Scott Wolf.

For season one, V ended up averaging a 2.25 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.7 million average viewers. It was “on the bubble” but ended up being renewed for a 13 episode second season. The network was hoping that the show would catch on and the ratings would improve.

Should V have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC later reduced the episode order to just 10 installments and debuted them mid-season. Unfortunately, ABC’s gamble didn’t pay off. Season two of V ended up averaging only a 1.9 in the demo and 5.49 million viewers.

Though the network and producers maintained that the show was still in contention for next season, it was clear that there would only be a third season of V if ABC was willing to gamble once again. In the end, they weren’t.

ABC confirmed today that V has been cancelled after two seasons and 22 episodes. The series finale aired on March 15th and, unfortunately, there were lots of unresolved cliffhangers. Hopefully the producers will someday share what they had in mind for season three.

What do you think? Are you sad that V won’t be returning next season? Why do you think the series didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our ABC cancel/renew page.

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,011 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. suzan says

well season 2 had too much bad outcome >>you cant make V won every step and expect the show to succeed >>> so i think they broke their show >>> may be if we won even once >>>> anyway its complete crap

2. judy says

I just watched seasons 1 and 2- dec 2012.I loved it!! I cannot believe ABC cancelled this wonderfully well written Tv series. If they decided to re-air this show in 2013 I’m sure it will catch on, as it seems since twilight came out alot of people are enjoying science fiction-especially teenagers……ABC if you can read this please give this show a second chance….you won’t regret it.

3. stefan says

I would love to see a third season of V. The end of season 2 whas so exited that I dontunderstand why they not make a third season.I want to see the aliens be defeted or life in harmony with the humens.

4. anonymous says

in my opinion i would say why the ratings went down because the series had never good news only death of good people and always the bad ones wins. dont take me wrong but see atleast there should be some payback to the aliens, a win for atleast three atempts of fight but only the aliens win every time. its like to expect big hit to them but thrown down back to the first step again. thats why the series went down in rating for every time there is hope you find betrayal and a death.

• Robin Varnes says

It doesn’t matter what happen where they went wrong at they should have made it into a 2 part mini series movie.

5. IMeMine says

Season one was pretty good. In season two the plot, writing, acting all started going right into the latrine. It was the same thing that happened to the original Battlestar Galactica in the ’70s. They were right to cancel. If you aren’t going to put the money into the show to do it right and have real writers behind it (instead of screenplays seeming like they were written by the producer’s 9-year-old son, Timmy, or something), close it down.

6. christy says

I love watching this show V…please bring it back we all want to no whats going to happen to erica and hobbs also with the aleins and tyler,lisa???please bring it back!!!!

7. Stevie says

V, Invasion, every programe I really enjoy ABC always cancel it leaving the story line unresolved. Going to stop watching ABC shows as they are just a wast of time.

• Anonymous says

I think u r right. If they where gonna put this show on tv they should have done what the 80’s version did made it into a two part mini series movie. Instead of making it into a tv series that was the wrong step they made. That was why they took it off air. And what about the cape, and Charlie’s angels? All 3 of these shows went off air while vampire diaries is still on air. And by the way CW shouldn’t have took the secret circle off air either. All these good shows shouldn’t have went off air at all.

8. CAROLYN B. says

V should have been shown on SYFY, AMC or TNT it probably would have survived because those networks audiences are more into science fiction, horror and fantasy genres. I thought it was a very good remake of the original series and should be reconsidered airing again!!! We syfy lovers would definitely love to watch it!!!

9. C.J says

V is an amazing show, try some ideas to improve the ratings and have a higher audience please. If you cant, please suggest the show to other channels because I am very interested in the show. Please bring it back to all of the fans who love V.

10. shon says

PLEASE ,PLEASE, PLEASE bring V back. My son and I LOVED to watch the show. It is truely missed. I am suprised that it is not on Sci Fi. I don’t care who brings it back as long as it comes back!!!!!!!!

11. stefan says

theire is to much truth about it like free energie and the e.t’s . all coverup by the gouvernments . look up on the net for info – steven greer , bob dean – projekt camelot – alex collier – ufo conference – the day after disclosure ect ect ect . i have my own e.t experiences from the 4 and 5 dimension . but so for no reptilians because my frequence is to high and maybe theire are good ones even the grays . so look it up for wath is realy going on behind the stage . and yes the episodes v are revealing something what people don’t know about and its all sience fiction if you do your homework than you will found out theire is something to it . for me and a lot of people who are aware of it it is sience fact !