Web Therapy: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Three?

Web Therapy on ShowtimeTonight marks the conclusion of the second season of Web Therapy on Showtime. Will there be a third season or will it be cancelled instead? If it’s dropped, will Fiona need some counselling for herself?

Web Therapy began as an online TV series. Showtime picked it, additional footage was shot, and those “webisodes” were aired on the cable channel last year. The TV show revolves around Fiona Wallice (Lisa Kudrow), a self-serving psychotherapist who treats patients in three minute sessions via her webcam. The series features guests each week and season two’s have included Rosie O’Donnell, Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jennifer Elise Cox, Molly Shannon, Minnie Driver, Selma Blair, David Schwimmer, Conan O’Brien, Tim Bagley, and Rashida Jones.

The ratings for season two started out quite small, with just 103,000 viewers tuning in on July 2nd. To put that in perspective, Episodes (which isn’t a big ratings success itself) drew 486,000 viewers the night before.

As poorly as the second season premiere of Web Therapy did, later episodes did even worse, drawing as few as 25,000 viewers in August. The numbers started to climb upward after that but they were still quite low.

Should Web Therapy be renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last week, Showtime moved Web Therapy to Sunday night and the ratings nearly doubled, attracting 196,000 viewers.

While it seems like there’s no real reason for Showtime to renew Web Therapy for a third season, I imagine the series is pretty cheap to produce and the cable channel seems to like being in business with Kudrow.

The series has a lot of high-profile guests and in the end that looks impressive and helps Showtime’s image. While ratings do play a factor in paid-cable decisions, perception helps them retain and attract subscribers.

While Web Therapy could easily be cancelled, I suspect it will be renewed — providing Kudrow wants to keep making new episodes. The season two renewal came three months after the end of season one so we may not know Showtime’s decision for quite some time.

What do you think? Do you like this TV series? Do you think that it should be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Francois November 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I do Hope it will be renewed because it is a smart/funny/original sitcom. Lisa’s ironical approach to the world we live in brings quality to the channel. But it may follow the fate of another very funny and critically acclaimed sitcom: “the comeback”

Smart/funny/original/a bit cynical sitcoms with excellent comedians don’t seem to pay on the TV.

Anonymous May 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I hope it will be renewed, however; since it’s funny, avant guard, quirky & no other show quite like it on TV, it’s doubtful. With Weeds gone, there’s a gaping hole in good shows left. Let’s hope Showtime takes the plunge & renew it.

Cindy October 27, 2012 at 6:30 am

Cleverly written show, superbly acted. Perhaps a different network would attract more viewership.

Ian Jung September 30, 2012 at 2:35 am

I just do love Web Therapy! and I absolutely do hope it is renewed!!!
I found a small happiness back in my life watching this show.
I didn’t even know this show was online thing!!
There seems to be more and more catchy and attractive episodes coming up!!!!!!!!!
I could see that.
I really really want this show to continue.

from South Korea

bridget jones September 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

I love Web Therapy. Really hope it gets renewed. I bought the first Showtime Season 1 of it and it was hysterical. I found the series myself On Demand. I don’t think I ever once saw a commercial for it.

Ken Rubenstein September 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

We love Web Therapy. For some reason, many of the shows we love best draw the smallest audiences. It’s hard being green, as Kermit famously said.

len September 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm

we are in the same club my friend :)
they cancel everything we adore but i’d rather have 3 great seasons then 9 shitty ones ;)

Georgia September 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Last night (Sunday 09-09-12) Showtime teamed the season finale of Web Therapy with Weeds. Thought it was great as always. Hoping it’s renewed. I see Showtime is repeating last night’s episode along with Weeds.

Taylor James September 10, 2012 at 9:43 am

I preferred season one but hope it gets renewed so she can get back to some actually therapy! :D

Lee September 10, 2012 at 9:09 am

I love Web therapy. I hope it is renewed. C’mon Showtime, give Fiona (and us) another year of this well written and really funny show!

Jeremy Rynek September 9, 2012 at 9:39 am

The first season was ok, the second has been better, but still not excellent though. Anyway, while Weeds won’t be back next year, that’s probably it’s death sentence, it seems it only works with a good lead in, or if they wanna put it on with Nurse Jackie I guess.