NBC can’t stop singing. Th network just announced they’ve renewed Songland for a second season.
The reality competition series features aspiring songwriters, who submit their work to successful musical producers Ester Dean, Ryan Tedder, and Shane McAnally and have the song performed by an artist of the week. Guest artists have included John Legend, The Jonas Brothers, Leona Lewis, and Macklemore.
Songland has been a hit for NBC since it debuted in May. So far, the show’s first season is averaging .84 rating in the 18-49 and 4.046 million viewers. See NBC’s renewal announcement below:
- NBC has renewed the hit songwriting competition series “Songland” for a second season.
- So far this summer, “Songland” is averaging a 1.1 rating in adults 18-49 and 5.1 million viewers overall in “live plus seven day” Nielsens, making it the summer’s #1 most-watched new alternative series. After 35 days of digital and linear delayed viewing, including encores, “Songland” grows to a 1.9 rating in 18-49 and 7.6 million viewers overall.
- In its Tuesday and Wednesday timeslots, “Songland” has remained undefeated this summer in total viewers versus its ABC, CBS and Fox competition (“live plus same day”).
- “Songland” has produced multiple chart-topping hits including six songs that have achieved a #1 ranking on an iTunes music chart. The show provides viewers with the unique ability to immediately download or stream the winning song following the episode, which has quickly propelled each of the “Songland” songs to the top of the charts.
- “Greenlight” by Jonas Brothers
- Following the Jonas Brothers episode, “Greenlight” hit #1 on the iTunes Overall Charts.
- “Better Luck Next Time” by Kelsea Ballerini
- Following the Kelsea Ballerini episode, “Better Luck Next Time” ranked #1 on the iTunes Pop Chart and #2 on the iTunes Overall Charts.
- “Be Nice” by Black Eyed Peas
- will.i.am chose to put all three songs on the upcoming Black Eyed Peas album.
- will.i.am featured Snoop Dogg on the track and included him in the music video.
- Following the will.i.am episode, “Be Nice” ranked #1 on the iTunes Rock Charts.
- “Shadow” by Macklemore ft. IRO
- Macklemore asked songwriter and “Songland” contestant IRO to be featured on the track, where he can be heard singing the hook.
- Following the Macklemore episode, “Shadow” ft. IRO ranked #1 on the iTunes Hip-Hop/Rap Chart.
- “Solo Quiero (Somebody to Love)” by Leona Lewis, Cali y El Dandee and Juan Magán
- Leona Lewis chose to release her song from the episode with Latin superstars Cali y El Dandee and Juan Magán.
- Following the Leona Lewis episode, “Solo Quiero (Somebody to Love)” reached #1 on the iTunes Latino chart.
- “We Need Love” by John Legend
- Following the John Legend episode, “We Need Love” ranked #1 on the iTunes R&B chart.
- In season one, NBC tapped into key music partnerships to expand the show’s reach and messaging. “Songland” collaborated with iHeartRadio for an exclusive podcast series that has garnered over 1.7 million listeners to date. Additionally, the series partnered with BMG for a recording and publishing contract to release the songs written and recorded by the two runners up, and created a strategic song release plan with music distributors such as Apple Music, iTunes, Spotify and Pandora.
- “Songland” created two special partnership episodes in its first season – one in which Aloe Blacc found a hit song that was featured in Universal Pictures’ blockbuster film “Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw,” and one in which Old Dominion found a song for a Jeep® brand commercial, in which Jeep® chose to feature the winning songwriter.
- The series’ innovative format takes an inside look at the creative process behind songwriting, and each episode provides one up-and-coming songwriter the opportunity to have their song recorded by a chart-topping artist and released immediately after the episode airs worldwide. “Songland” season one guest recording artists include Jonas Brothers, John Legend, Meghan Trainor, Macklemore, Charlie Puth, Kelsea Ballerini, will.i.am, OneRepublic, Aloe Blacc, Old Dominion and Leona Lewis.
- The show features powerhouse producer-mentors Ryan Tedder (lead singer of OneRepublic and Grammy Award-winning producer of Adele, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift and Jonas Brothers), Ester Dean (Grammy-nominated songwriter and producer of Rihanna, Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj) and Shane McAnally (Grammy-winning songwriter and producer of Kacey Musgraves, Kelly Clarkson and Sam Hunt with 40 #1 country records).
- The search for the next hit song continues! Visit www.songlandcasting.com to apply for the opportunity to have your song featured on season two of “Songland.”
- “Songland” is executive produced by Emmy Award-winning producer Audrey Morrissey (“The Voice”), director Ivan Dudynsky, Eurythmics co-founder Dave Stewart, Chad Hines, and multi-Grammy-winning recording artist and Maroon 5 lead singer Adam Levine. Josh Gummersall serves as producer along with Ryan Tedder. The concept was devised by Stewart, Morrissey and Dudynsky.
- “Songland” is produced by Live Animals in association with Universal Television Alternative Studio, Dave Stewart Entertainment and 222 Productions.”
What do you think? Have you seen Songland? Will you watch season two?
Absolutely love everything about this show … can’t wait for its return!
I cannot wait for Season 2 of Songland! April 13 will be here soon!! It is such a great show! I wish they were giving us more than 10 shows. It should be at least 13 at a minimum! One of the best shows on TV!!
I love this show I can’t wait for it to be on again I think it’s genius. It’s amazing to see how our song actually comes to be.
Love this show! Please keep it coming!!!
This is the best show I’ve seen a long time & I can’t wait for season 2!!! I absolutely love the format & the music has been exceptional, far surpassing my expectations! I sure hope season 2 comes out soon!!
I love, Love, LOVE this show!
Always fascinating, heart-lifting, includes a sense of wonder and some amazingly good music! Kind of surprised a show such as this one has taken so long to arrive on the scene; delighted that it’s renewed!
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW! SHANE IS AN AWESOME PRODUCER! I LOVE ESTHER AND RYAN AS WE. BUT SHANE IS MY FAVORITE!
The only thing I wasn’t sold on was Jason on the final episode. Not that he isn’t great himself, I liked the song he produced, it was just that I didn’t feel he really meshed well in the group of the already 3 established producers. I hope they don’t plan on replacing Ryan for season 2.