10 Things I Hate About You: ABC Family Series Cancelled, No Season Three

10 Things I Hate About YouThe executive producer of ABC Family’s 10 Things I Hate About You has confirmed that the TV show has been cancelled after two seasons. How quickly things can change.

Based on the film of the same name that starred Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Heath Ledger, 10 Things I Hate About You revolves around two very different high school sisters and their friends and partners. The series features the talents of Lindsey Shaw, Meaghan Jette Martin, Ethan Peck, Nicholas Braun, Dana Davis, Larry Miller, Kyle Kaplan, Ally Maki, Chris Zylka, Jolene Purdy, Allie Gonino, and Suzy Nakamura.

The series got off to a great start in July 2009 and ABC Family touted it as the cable channel’s biggest comedy debut to date. It attracted 1.6 million viewers and 734,000 in the coveted 18-49 demo. The news got even better by week four as the show’s ratings grew to 1.8 million viewers and 782,000 in the demo. Season one ended up averaging 1.3 million viewers.

To no surprise, ABC Family renewed the series for a second season of another 10 episodes.

Should 10 Things have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, something happened between seasons one and two. When the 10 Things returned in late March, a lot of the show’s viewers didn’t. Thus far, it’s been averaging just 983,000 viewers. That’s enough for ABC Family to pull the plug, just 10 months after the show’s highly touted debut.

The show’s creator and executive producer, Carter Covington, announced the show’s fate on Twitter: “Sad news… ABCFamily canceled the show :-( Thanks 2 our AMAZING fans – U R the reason I do this! Enjoy the last 5 eps – they’re fantastic!”

The remaining five episodes of 10 Things will continue to roll out until May 31st. Since the cancellation comes as a surprise, there’s no word if the series finale will include closure or if storylines will be left unresolved.

What do you think? Based on the ratings, did ABC Family make the right decision regarding 10 Things I Hate About You? Are you sorry to see the show go? What happened?

SweetTee January 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Just started watching this show on Netflix. Soooo sad it was cancelled! How?? It’s so good. I never heard of it before seeing it on Netflix…maybe that is why it failed? ABC should bring this show back-it’s a winner!

Courtney January 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I really think they should bring back this show. It was so addicting to watch in that you couldn’t wait to see the next episode! I mean, how could you end an ENTIRE SERIES with so many unanswered questions? For the viewers and fans, I just don’t think that’s right. If there was something that people could actually do in order to bring it back, I am sure that so many people would be involved that abc family would have no choice but to un-cancel the show. I know I’m gonna do my research to see if there’s anything we can do. People are free to help me. 10 Things I Hate About You will air on television again!

lodwyn December 27, 2011 at 10:36 am

Well,some of us couldn’t watch season 2 because due to financial difficulties,we no longer had TV/computer to watch it on….Please…bring it back!

nicky December 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm

please please please bring it back alot of people want it back! plus i think itl be popular for people ages 12 – 17 i mean i watched the hole first season an i fell in love with the story line and seriously patrick is hot wenever i see him on the screen i get buttwryflys!

Ronja December 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I am SO glad that there are other people here that feel the same way I do! Everyone of you who has read this article (even just now, a year after it’s been published), you were just as crazy about this show as I am because we all ended up here. We are all unsatisfied people who can’t believe they cancelled the show.
I just discovered it two weeks ago and I learned as I started watching that there’s just going to be this one season. Though this annoyed me even before I started I decided to watch it and I am SO glad I did.
From the first episode I watched I COMPLETELY fell in love with this show! I love every character, especially Kat and Patrick (of course) and the dialogues between the two of them and above all, the chemistry between them! I really couldn’t stop watching and I told myself to just watch one episode a day so I would have as much of this 20 episodes I could possibly get.. and 10 minutes ago I watched the last episode and I feel like crying right now! Of course I’m glad Kat and Patrick ended up together at all but I’m still unsatisfied. This last episode was not a proper end for this show and it didn’t do justice to the characters we all care so much about! They deserve more; we deserve more! And reading this article makes it even worse! There were so many great ideas and I would have loved to see the story behind Patrick’s character and his development; and of course I really want to see an actual relationship between Kat and Patrick! I really can’t believe they cancelled the show! There’s so much crap on TV these days it’s unbelievable and now there’s THIS show here, which is special and lovely and has so much fans and they cancell it! I mean, c’mon! We are writing on this comment page even a year after its last episode! This shows that it still has fans who would love to see another season!
People, let’s get together and try to get another season! I can’t take this “end” as a end of this show we all so much care about!

aly December 14, 2011 at 5:28 am

Is anyone up for signing a huge petition for ABC to make the 3rd season? I’m desperate to see it!!

Courtney January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I would totally sign! I’m probably about as desperate as you are to see it back too..

shy1 February 3, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Yes, I would sign a petition to get 10 Things I Hate About You back on the air!

Kiminka December 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I WANT SEASON 3 so badly :(

Pam November 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm

What happened to kat and pat????? really god you guys suck

roxanne November 13, 2011 at 8:08 am

it so sad why did they have to cancel the TV show like seriously i think that it worse to leave a show unfinished !!! i think they should re allow it on abc family im sure lot of people would watch it !! :D

Kristyna November 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :’( :’(

Colleen and Jeff November 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Were pissed. we just got netflix and were watching the show from the beginning and started looking for the next season… Only to realize it got cancelled. #@&^*&@ Lame.
We are highly upset and hope that you will change this mishap.
We would like to find out what happens with Kat and Patrick and her father walking in on them… and would like to know how Joey is going to explain this to Bianca…. ):

nikki November 2, 2011 at 11:26 am

i’ve just started watching that show last week (yeah, it took this long for the show to get on tv in my country) and it’s AMAZING!! i hate it that they cancelled it after just 20 episodes!!

Lilly October 31, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Is there another place where someone can pick it up? I wanna c the 3rd season lyk soo badly!!

kim October 25, 2011 at 5:54 am

i hate that you guys canceled that show i love that show i watched every time it came on so it should not be canceled get that show back on please and thank you I LOVE THAT SHOW it was the bomb that is the only reason i watched tv so please put it back on i really want to see how patrick reacts when he finds out that kat didm’t go on her trip please AWESOME SHOW 95% Thanks it is too thank you very much bye.

Lauren Amos October 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I loved the show, it was so good. And I am not just saying that, I really do hope you bring it back. I think the one thing is you will have to add a bit more….. ummmm.. flavor. ABC family is known for its dramatic movies and tv shows. So add a litle spice and sugar like you always do abd bring it back. I didn’t start watching it until it was instant que on netflix. I didn’t think it was that good, when it first came out I really was not paying attention. I never watched it, but when I saw it on netflix, I thought I had better give it a chance because my frineds LOVEd it. I think that the middle of season 2 was under done. Pay a bit more attention to the details. I really do hope you bring it back.

Amber January 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

That was just like me…. odd

Nina October 19, 2011 at 8:19 am

This is so bad news!! I couldn’t wait for the next season, and then I found out it wasn’t going to be more, it was so sad! I hope it will be a season 3! And if it does, I’M GOING TO WATCH IT!!!!! I love the show! And the show can’t stop this way! I hope you can produce another season! It would mean allot to many people!