2008 – 2009 Cancelled Shows: NBC Officially Announces Series Renewals and Pick Ups

HeroesNBC held their infront presentation today, a couple weeks before the other networks hold their own big presentations for advertisers. The peacock network is taking a big risk next fall, scheduling The Jay Leno Show five nights a week at 10pm. While it’s hard to tell if that decision will bring them success, we do know that there are far fewer hours left for traditional programming.

Today, NBC officially announced that it was renewing Heroes, Southland, Parks and Recreation, and six episodes of comedy filler Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday. These renewals join the previous pickups of The Office, 30 Rock, The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Apprentice, and Friday Night Lights.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit was previously renewed as well. The show’s stars, Christopher Meloni and Mariska Hargitay, have been in contract negotiations and Universal Media Studios co-chair Marc Graboff indicated that an offer has been made to them. Graboff says that he hopes they’ll return but assured attendees that SVU will be back either way.

Official announcements on the fate of Chuck, Medium, and Law & Order have been delayed a couple weeks, presumably until the final schedule is presented to advertisers. However, audience members were told privately that all three were indeed coming back. It seems the delay is stemming from working out the renewal details such as episode orders. Though none of the shows’ ratings have been very good, the network is hedging its bets in case it needs to replace The Jay Leno Show come mid-season.

It seems that the fate of My Name is Earl is still up in the air. If the peacock network cancels it, FOX will likely pick it up so the sitcom will have enough episodes for a good-sized syndication package.

New shows coming next season include Trauma and Mercy, a pair of medical series; Day One, a show about a post-catastrophe world; a Friends-like sitcom called 100 Questions; and a comedy centered around a community college called Community. The new version of Parenthood has also made NBC’s schedule and may end up being paired with Heroes.

Russell Baker May 21, 2010 at 7:47 am

Mercy is the best medical drama since ER. Great writing, creative situations, topical and the first medical show to give real attention the the work that nurses do to provide one-on-one care to patients.
BRING IT BACK!

VERONICA R May 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

BRING BACK MERCY THE ONLY SHOW I WATCH ON TV!!! THIS SHOW HELPED ME CHANGE MY LIFE AROUND, I AM NOW IN SCHOOL WITH A GOAL TO BECOME A NURSE!!!!! I LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE THIS SHOW !!!!

jessica May 20, 2010 at 12:29 am

you cant cancel mercy its a great show please bring it back this fall

karla May 20, 2010 at 12:28 am

you cant cancel mercy its one of the best shows out there, its the one show i would look forward to watching if you cancel their is no reason for watching NBC.

Arlene May 19, 2010 at 11:13 pm

This is one of the best shows NBC has brought to us in a long time!! Why get rid of something that’s so popular. I’ve seen some pretty bad shows on this channel over the years and I thought this one totally made up for it all. Mercy should have been given a better run then ONE season that got interrupted by the Olympics. I even got my husband into the show and this is someone that lives for sports!!

Aimee Eckroth May 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Bring back Mercy…it was never given a fair chance since it wasn’t on during the olympics so of course a lot of people didn’t know about it!!

Elizabeth G May 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL MERCY!!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW, BRING IT BACK IN THE FALL! IT is one of the only shows on TV I do watch!

Chanda May 19, 2010 at 7:57 am

Please Please do not cancel Mercy!! My husband and I love this show!! We stopped watching Grey’s Anatomy 2 seasons ago and I was so thrilled to have this new show, please don’t take it away!!

Corrin May 17, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Don’t Cancel Mercy!! This is the only show I watch, the story is building, and people love it!! Why cancel it?!?!

Carly Kan May 17, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Please, Dear NBC, bring back Mercy!! Millions are hoping!! Grazie~

ash May 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm

why LOVE mercy- its raw- deals with real issues- shows the depth of the characters and isn’t over produced (until last few episodes). The only thing they have done wrong, is change the style in the last few episodes- maybe the producers changed, but its shot completely different now. The original way made it real- you felt the story, there was a stillness that drew you in. Now its shot to be more dramatic– quick shot transitions- its OVERKILL, it already was dramatic in a way that made you feel the story line. Bring it back next year the way it was originally designed. PS. psychic readings? Seriously? pss Love the james and sophie match up- built his character well, peeling back the layers.

Genna May 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Please save Mercy! I Loved that show, watched it every week. Tired of all the reality tv showes

Melissa May 17, 2010 at 10:19 am

SAVE MERCY! Fall 2010-briing it back!!

Heather May 17, 2010 at 8:28 am

Mercy is probably one of the best shows that I have watched in a long time. I can’t believe this show is even being considered to be cancelled!! The actors are absolutely amazing, the plot keeps you on your toes…NBC is making a huge mistake and maybe another station will pick it up!!

Sarah May 16, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I love Mercy…I am really hoping that you don’t cancel it.