Andy Barker, P.I.: NBC Cancels Andy Richter Sitcom

Andy Richter as Andy Barker P.I.To no surprise, NBC has canned the latest Andy Richter sitcom. The network announced today that Andy Barker, P.I., the series about a CPA turned private investigator, had been moved from Thursday to the Saturday night graveyard. While NBC initially reported this as a schedule change, Variety is now reporting it as a cancellation. But wait, there is a tiny bit of good news.

This week’s Thursday episode of Barker was the last one scheduled so the rescheduling alone isn’t a big deal. Only six episodes of Barker were produced and NBC had planned to only air five of them (I suspect an early indication of the network’s lack of faith). NBC offered the other episode as an “online exclusive. Now, NBC will air two episodes on Saturday night — one of which is the “missing” episode.

Unfortunately, a cancellation means that there’s no chance we’ll see another season of the Conan O’Brien/Jonathan Groff created show. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

7 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. david wright says

I agree w/ the above. This was the one new show we’d taken a shine to. So refreshingly innocent (“oh,motherHubbard”) as to be daring. I too wish that new shows were given time to find their audience.

2. l says

I thought it was a cute show. Nowadays unless it’s about show depicting silly teens talking about their love life, showing nudity, cursing every other word people don’t want to watch it. It’s sad. There needs to be a new channel for people that likes shows like this. Maybe Family ABC needs to pick this show up.

I just getting to point that they think the executives for ABC, NBC, and CBS are just making shows they don’t think will work just so they can have something new for people to watch. I try not to invest my time getting too interested into something because I know it will be cancelled. Not to mention the good shows that turn bad because the writing turns into a sloppy piece of work.

3. Adam says

What! I hate it when they cancel the good shows! This show was hillarious, and Andy Richter is one of my favorite actors, since way back in the day when i watched him on Late Night with Conan O’Brien. NBC has let me down yet again, im just about ready to cancel my cable if they keep canceling every single good show on it.

4. Elizabeth says

This is one of the funniest shows I’ve seen in a long time. I cant believe they pulled it! I was hoping it would be around for a while… my family and I loved it! Truly a dissapointment! RIP Andy Barker!!!!

5. Craig says

I enjoyed this series, and had it set up to Tivo. Andy Richter is a regular television Dangerfield. His efforts just don’t get no respect.

6. WolvenSpectre says

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

First “In Case of Emergency” and now THIS!

This is one of the best sitcom satires made in recent times. Not to mention Andy Richter’s spot on portrayal.

Why wont people give this guy a break?

If these networks aren’t willing to give shows a chance unless they get an instant audience, why pick up the show in the first place.

How many ‘night of the long knives’ must we go through this season. talk about the unkindest cuts of all. More high quality shows have been cut than in recent years.

If the networks keep this up people are going to start finding alternative ways of distributing their content.