Awake: Cancelled; No Season Two

Awaked canceled by NBC, no season 2It’s the nightmare NBC’s Awake fans were dreading. NBC has cancelled the show after 13 episodes and one season.

Created by Kyle Killen (Lone Star), Awake revolves around a police detective (Jason Isaacs) who, after being in a horrific car accident, finds that he’s living in two realities. In one, his son perished — in the other, his wife did. The cast also includes Laura Allen, Steve Harris, Dylan Minnette, B. D. Wong, Michaela McManus, Wilmer Valderrama, and Cherry Jones.

The complex drama had an unimpressive debut back on March 1st, registering a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.24 million viewers. NBC had released the pilot episode well in advance so some believed that hurt the premiere ratings.

Should Awake have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Theoretically the second episode should have shown signs of growth but it didn’t. Week two dropped 20%. Week three remained stable but subsequent weeks saw additional declines. Last week’s episode hit a new low with a dismal 0.7 rating and just 2.15 million viewers.

This season has averaged a 1.1 rating in the demographic with 3.5 million total viewers. Awake is the third-lowest rated drama on the network, beating only Harry’s Law and The Firm (both of which have been cancelled as well). On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of shows on the network, Awake has a “D+” grade.

TV show supportNBC has now cancelled Awake and the series finale is on track to air Thursday, May 24th. While it wasn’t intended as a series finale, Killen has said that he believes the finale is very satisfying.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Awake has been cancelled and won’t be back for a second season? Was the series too complicated for most TV viewers or did it have other problems?

JG June 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Is there nothing better than reality TV…. yes and you just cancelled it!! BIG mistake.

Christian June 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Ahhh this was the most awesome show I have ever seen on television and it’s canceled. I’m sad to hear this news. My friends and I all watched it on Hulu plus. I know there were wide majority of people who went On their demand and watched it. It was so exciting.!! O.o

Laura June 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm

One of the best series, so sad that it got cancelled. A lot of my friends also loved it. What are we left with now? :(

Babz June 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm

My husband and I are just finishing up the one and only season of AWAKE. For the LIFE of us, we cannot imagine how an intelligent, thought-provoking, unique show like AWAKE has to bite the dust. Guess there wasn’t enough intelligent people who like a good mystery and mental challenge. To say the least, we are extremely disappointed at the loss. Maybe someday, in another place, a more interesting time, we will see more of this excellent show. In the meantime, I guess I will go find a good book to read. Or catch another episode of CSI. Oh, wait. CSI Miami has also bit the dust. Maybe there is a new Kardashian show to keep up on…:(

Jal June 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

guess we’ll have keep looking for good enertainment else where .. once again NBC has lost me as a viewer.

Debbie June 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I thought it was one of the best shows on tv made sure I was home to watch it. Such a shame it over much better then all thr reality shows

Steve June 22, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Nbc has lost on this one . Best show on NBC

Jae June 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

To say I’m upset that Awake has been cancelled is a huge understatement. I loved this show. It was complex, interesting, engaging, and cerebral. There was NOTHING on TV like it, nothing at all. It was refreshing and new and a wonderful break from the mindless reality shows that dominate television. I don’t watch much at all on TV because it’s reality based show after reality based show. That concept jumped the shark about 10yrs ago yet here we are, beating that dead horse for all it’s worth to the point of taking what could be an interesting retrospective about people, experiences, and life into a Jerry Springer-esque side show. Awake was brilliant in a sea of dull redundant TV. I guess I can at least be happy with the “season finale”. It was so wonderfully done, and in a way, gave some sort of closure and “happy ending” however, there are a million questions I still have about it all. Such a shame that NBC (and it’s compitetion networks) are dumping quality shows for garbage. It’s also too bad that our society causes these cancellations with their poor choice of viewing. It honestly scares me that the next couple of generations will be nothing but brain dead-15mins of fame seeking-attention whores!

Debbie June 22, 2012 at 11:24 am

I thought this was one of the best dramas to air of recent years. Complicated and clever, I can’t believe that it’s been cancelled. Jason Isaacs as well as the rest of the cast were outstanding. I think “Person of Interest” , led in by “American Idol”, hurt the ratings. I loved the series finale and am glad that the family’s back together again.

Gooze June 22, 2012 at 4:55 am

I can’t understand how they could cancel such an amazing show as awake is. It can easily keep up with Dexter and Breaking Bad. I told everyone I know about this great and innovative show. And now I have to understand that there will be no second season :( Unbelievably sad.

Anonymous June 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Nooooo! I love this show! Two of my favorite shows cancelled…Awake and Missing. So tired of “reality” tv…. Uuugghhh. Disappointed.

James June 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm

This show is awesome! Bring it back! Do it, do it now!

JR June 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Love “Awake”! Hope it goes to Sy-Fy or Fox but somewhere please!!

Too good to let it disappear.

Jennifer June 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I thought my new favorite show was on that mid-season break that so many shows are doing these days. Then, I find out its been cancelled. I guess I just enjoyed it because I actually have a brain. I looked forward to the twists and turns every week. I feel the same way about the show “Flash Forward.” I guess people are just to lazy to want to use their brains during a TV show! Your network sucks. I wish a different network would pick it up!!!

Mark S. June 18, 2012 at 11:55 am

No one likes a show where you might have to think too much. I loved it.

Rob June 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm

No wonder network TV is on the way out especially NBC. Mindless reality dribble is all that catches someones interest and they are cheap to make.Its a race to the bottom and NBC is in the lead. Sci fy channel…want over 3.5 million loyal followers? Get this finely written and produced show back on the air next season.