CW Renews Six TV Shows for the 2009 – 2010 Season

IMAGEThe CW network apparently wanted to be the first one out of the gate this year and announced that six of its TV shows will be back next season. The lucky dramas are Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, 90210, Smallville, and Supernatural. The venerable reality competition series, America’s Next Top Model, was also renewed for seasons 13 and 14.

Smallville’s ninth season comes after Warner Bros was able to sign star Tom Welling to another cycle. Two of the series’ showrunners, Darren Swimmer and Todd Slavkin, revitalized the action-drama this year but are expected to leave if the Melrose Place revival is ordered to series. If all goes as expected, Kelly Sounders and Brian Peterson, the two remaining showrunners, will take over.

Dawn Ostroff, CW’s entertainment president, said “As we continue to build The CW Network as a destination for young women, these six shows have clearly contributed to strengthening our schedule and our brand identity.”

While the timing of the pickups is earlier than usual, none of the renewals come as a surprise. The grouping represents the network’s strongest offerings.

Still left in the dark are shows like Privileged, The Game, Everybody Hates Chris, and Reaper. Will any of them return next season? The network is developing several possible series so the remaining shows’ chances for survival are looking quite slim.

Canceled and renewed TV show

78 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. DEREKA SAYS: says

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT CANCEL THE GAME !! ITS THE ONLY REASON II LIVE!!! ITS S000 ADDICTIVE PLEASE SAVE IT !!

2. Princess says

NOT THE GAME!!!!!! Please dont cancel my show I look forward to watching every Friday and got at least 20 people hooked on the show. The only problem is the day and time it comes on. Try a Tuesday or Thursday it would be a lot better……… but for the love of god let it LIVE!!!!!!

3. says

Please don’t cancel “Privileged” because that has some great writers and the delivery and chemistry of the two lead sisters is great. That show is a welcomed surprise in the oversaturated world of “reality” tv.

4. Anonymous says

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL “THE GAME”- THAT SHOW IS CRACK TO ME. I LOVE ALL THE CHARACTERS AND I CAN RELATE TO THE GIRLS AND THERE SITUATUTIONS..IT THE REALIST SHOW ON TV NOW

5. jamie says

Please don’t cancel the game. It is a very entertaining show. The time may need to be change, but everyone that I know loves the show.

6. Elsie says

there aren’t many shows worth watching on tv. i think the game should be brought back and you should really take another look at america’s next top model, 90210, gossip girl. all of those shows aren’t worth the time and effort it takes to watch them. and what has happened to everybody hates chris. you canceled girlfriends and that was really a low blow. leave something really worth watching. i’m pretty tired of teenage sex all over television and the vicious things they do to each other.

7. brooks onley says

p[lease dont cancel the game it’s the only show worth watching on the cw.it won’t be fair to the african american community.if the game is canceled we will petition the station.

8. Michael says

Please do not cancel “The Game” I love the show! I didnt know much about it untill it came on BET and finally I notice what a great show it it, Friday nights are hard to shed. a show because ppl like to go out on the weekend and enjoy being off work. im sure if you would change the time the rating would be sky high! Another reason is the show was advertise as much, like i said before the only way I knew about it is from BET so please dont cancel it! Many fans will be upset!

9. says

I look forward to watching the Game on Friday nights. That is the only night that I have to watch television and unwind. Please don’t cancel the show. I have gotten my 18 year old son watching the show. He has The Game saved in his favorites. I would appreciate if you cancel another show and not The Game. It will hurt a lot of fans.

10. J.R says

Why, oh why are they bringing back Smallville. It should have ended a long time ago.

At this rate, Clark Kent is going to be pushing 50 by the time they decide to make him Superman. Hell, he won’t even have any villains left!!!

It just makes me angry that better shows get cancelled over this show….

Fail….

11. Dannitha says

The game is one of the only black shows left on TV , it would be a bad thing to cancel the show with BET running reruns people are starting to get into the show
    It would be very sad to see it going, CW should really put it on the time night as top model for veiwers to tune in and watch then it would become more popular with watcher. Please save the Game!

12. Charla says

The CW is about to lose one of their regular viewers over the Game. The have no committment to their black viewers, even through we spend a lot with their sponsers. I will be watching a different channel from now on.