Detroit 1-8-7: Will It Be Back or Just Cancelled?

Detroit 1-8-7On Tuesday, ABC pre-empted Detroit 1-8-7 with a special edition of 20/20 in which Diane Sawyer interviewed Congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford’s husband about the Tucson shooting. Based on the preliminary ratings for the program, ABC made a good choice. It attracted a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.18 million total viewers. While those aren’t great numbers, they’re a 30% improvement over last week’s episode of Detroit 1-8-7 (1.0 in the demo with 5.05 million).

Next week, the cop drama will be replaced by the annual State of the Union address. Right now, Detroit 1-8-7 is scheduled to return on February 1st but one has to wonder if that will actually happen. ABC has a track record of pre-empting low-rated shows with the intention of bringing them back but it just never happens.

TV show supportThe network has ordered 18 installments of Detroit 1-8-7 and 12 of those have aired so far. It would seem like a waste not to air the remaining six but the same could be said for the leftover seven episodes of The Whole Truth. If ABC can keep coming up with specials that will perform better, we may likely have seen the last of low-rated Detroit 1-8-7.

What do you think? Will Detroit 1-8-7 return to the regular schedule or lost in hiatus and cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

796 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. T.Taylor says

Wake up viewers it was cancelled because it had too black actors ,you would show the
    junk comdeies ,I really did not look at the station until Detriot 187 came on and now I dislike the net work more.

2. Michael says

I got to episode 9 and really started to like it… Got to episodev14 and checked the web to see how many seasons… We know the answer. The cast was a great make up, very diverse and all had great chemistry. Would really like to see this story develop in more seasons.

3. Luann says

They finally get a good show going that is filmed in my home state and then cancel it. Why??? I do not believe the ratings were that low, I really like the cop dramas. Lots of cops in my family and this one was so authentic. Bring it back and take off some of the junk reality stuff that is sickening.

4. Sue Christensen says

Why would you cancel such a great show? Can’t understand your reasoning, but maybe it’s time to stop watching your network!

5. Shaun and Joanne says

Detroit 1-8-7 should NOT have been cancelled. Like FlashPoint does Toronto, Detroit 1-8-7 brings money to the area and supports the local economy.
    But, we all know how it works – politics.

6. Nik Rice says

u guys know that they cancelled it. it really sucks because it was my favorite show on ABC. im done watchin it. on to CBS. what i dont is the views part though. i mean do they not care about the people that do watch it. PEOPLE STILL WATCH ABC

7. Barry says

Detroit 187 NEEDS to be re-instated in ABC’s rotation. How could a show with such an ensemble cast not succeed? Compared to the 1/2 dozen derivitive CSI’s etc, this program was a breath of fresh air. I, like so many others on this forum looked forward to it weekly. And I must say, I changed the channel when your “specials” or your other POOR attempts at a sitcom aired. I recently purchased season 1 of the series and I love it still, but the build-up at the seasons end left all of us wanting more. I’m not going to beg or plead with you, I’m going to tell you….BRING IT BACK! Otherwise, I’ll be happy to leave ABC out of MY viewing rotation and you execs can continue to vascilate over so much otherwise drivel you call programming.

8. Brittani says

My boyfriend and i stumbled upon this show on netflix one night and have been stuck on it ever since!! We are almost done with the first season, excited thinking there would be more seasons and now we see its canceled? I know once this show becomes known it will have a lot of viewers! If not ABC someone needs to bring it back!!