Detroit 1-8-7: ABC Cop Series Cancelled; No Season Two

Detroit 187 canceled season twoOn Detroit 1-8-7, a dedicated group of detectives fight hard to keep their city safe. Unfortunately, not enough people were interested in watching that battle. ABC has cancelled the TV series after just one season.

Detroit 1-8-7 follows a group of tough homicide detectives who work on the streets of one of the toughest cities of America. The TV series stars Michael Imperioli, Aisha Hinds, D.J. Cotrona, Erin Cummings, James McDaniel, Jon Michael Hill, Natalie Martinez, and Shaun Majumder.

Though many felt that the series was one of the strongest cop dramas to come to network TV in years, most of the general public wasn’t that interested. It stumbled right out of the gate when the premiere attracted just a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.342 million total viewers.

Should Detroit 1-8-7 have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers dropped from there, losing 9% of the demo in week two and then 19% in week three. The ratings kept dwindling down and fell as a low as a 1.0 rating and 5.05 million viewers. It was clear pretty early on that Detroit 1-8-7 was doomed.

TV show supportThe cop series became the third lowest-rated scripted series on the network. Only My Generation and The Whole Truth performed worse and they were both cancelled early into the season.

ABC has now made it official and cancelled Detroit 1-8-7 after a single season of 18 episodes. The series finale aired on March 20th.

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Detroit 1-8-7? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our ABC cancel/renew page.

tony g September 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm

i agree with most that if abc would have pushed this series and placed it in a better spot it would have went over well if you can nbc can push the same theme over and over for 8 yrs on a show then you could have for one.

Tony September 3, 2012 at 11:50 am

This is a shame I just finished watching Detroit 187 on Netflix and was looking forward to a Season 2 but alas there is none. To bad this show wasn’t pushed by ABC enough it would have made it big.

Nina July 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I think Detroit 187 was an excellent and exciting series. I don’t think ABC did enough to advertise the series. I only discovered it after it has been canceled. Correct me of I’m wrong but whenever there seems to be black characters in leading roles on ABC, the show is under promoted and then canceled.

Rod July 9, 2012 at 6:30 am

I was looking forward to the show return and now I just find out it’s not coming back…Fitch was a great character… unpredictable…Eastwood style…Please bring it back somebody…best show in a few years…

Frank February 14, 2012 at 11:53 am

This really stinks ! …… really one of the best shows on TV …. it got off to a slow start but was picking up steam fast …… whats left now … yet another stupid reality show …. oh boy “The X factor” is on …… I would rather watch a rerun of Detroit 187 …….. ABC really dropped the ball ……… Please TNT or some other network pick up this show and tell ABC how its done !!

Larry February 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm

This was the finest realistic cop show on TV in years. If left alone and the powers that be weren’t so hungry for instant returns, I am sure that this would probably be one of the top shows on TV today. Seinfeld was a complete flop the first few years. You wonder why the networks are dieing a slow death, daah.

kp November 22, 2011 at 8:00 am

I loved the show too. It reminded a bit of homocide – life on the streets. I was waiting patiently to see previews appear but when they never did, I had to check it out. I’m very disappointed. Great story lines, great characters.

REVANS November 11, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I loved the show. The drama, the action, the humor and the music, all flowed perfectly. And I liked how they developed the character’s personal lives, which sometimes turns me off. I think it was a too ethnic for prime time. Detroit is a black city, so most of the storylines involved black life. The general public is not interested in that on. Not on a weekly basis, anyway. But if you look at it, they melted the ethnicity well. It was like a United Nations. I miss the show. I hope a cable network picks it up soon!!!

Eddy October 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm

This was one of the best police T.V. series, yes I am sad Detroit 1-8-7 is cancelled..I watched every week and was looking forward to the new season, just when you start getting into it they take it away.

Pam D September 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm

yes I am sad Detroit 1-8-7 is cancelled..I watched every week and was looking forward to the new season, just when you start getting into it they take it away… :(

Judy September 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Might as well just throw the TV set away. There’s really not much of anythng good on tv theses das

Q.U. September 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm

This is a type of show that TNT can pick up.