Dexter: Showtime Renews TV Show for Season Six; Season Seven Possible

DexterThe bad guys in Miami won’t be able to relax. Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) isn’t going away any time soon.

It’s being reported by EOnline that Showtime has renewed Dexter for a sixth season. It’s not being billed as the final one so a seventh term is possible.

The show about a serial-killer has been very successful for Showtime and has grown in viewership over the years. Sunday’s installment was the second-most watched episode in the show’s five year run. There’s no reason to expect that Showtime would want to see Dexter end any time soon.

The only possible hitch is that the contracts with some of the key actors expire after year six. New contracts would have to be signed if the show is to continue into a seventh season.

There’s no word on when season six will premiere but the seasons usually kick off at the very end of September. There are two installments left in season five with the finale slated for December 12th.

What do you think? Glad to hear Dexter will be back for another season? How long do you think the series should continue?

Canceled and renewed TV show

31 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. AshFromOz says

For such a unique program (the Serial Killer you adore), this program should continue as long as they can maintain the intensity. With such an unexplored niche with this story pretense, I feel the program has at least another 3 seasons. The writers have maintained this level easily to now, surpassing every previous season with the new, such is the calibre. Long Live Dexter. Long Live Lumen.

2. vtrejo says

This show is one of the best on TV! Glad to hear that it has been renewed. The preview for the season finale looks intense, but I hope from what I saw that Dexter doesn’t get caught!!!

3. Alysha says

To Like even Love a Serial Killer is Just Sooo Wrong and Sooo Bad……

BUT… Like Dexter… Being Bad, has Never Felt Sooo Good!!!

I <3 Dexter, and Deb, and Masuka, and Angel, and…. LUMEN!! Yes, I <3 Lumen… I think shes been an awesome addition to the cast this season.

May Dexter keep on killing for another 5 seasons!! And if not 5, I'll at least be happy with and take the 6th (possibly 7th) and Love them as much as the first 5!!

4. Ms.JacEmOff says

let me re-verbalize what I just said above.

I just cant get enough of
    Dexter… I need to find someone like him. hehe

5. Fox Jericho says

If they EVER think of ending Dexter, I am going to cry. This show better last til season 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jessica says

I would NEVER had watched this OR known about if it weren’t for my sister! Was staying @ her place for a visit & she daid I HAD to watch! Well, we watched the first 3 episodes & I was Hooked! I LOVE this show!

Though, I do find it a little startling that I not only like BUT respect his killings!