General Hospital: To Be Replaced By a Reality Show Version?

general hospitalAccording to the NY Post, ABC is considering a reality show version of General Hospital. The show would revolve around the personal and professional lives of doctors and nurses who work at a Los Angeles hospital (rather than fictional Port Charles, New York).

The new show is apparently in the very early stages of development and filming has quietly begun at UCLA Medical Center. ABC is said to be considering this new “General Hospital” show for the daytime schedule.

The crazy thing is that 50-year-old General Hospital could end up being replaced by a reality show version of itself. Though the soap opera has been performing well this season — reportedly rising 18% in total viewers year-to-year (2.37 to 2.81 million) — the network is still on the look out for ways to expand their audience and cut costs.

What do you think? Is ABC considering replacing General Hospital with a reality show version? Would you check it out?

Canceled and renewed TV show

217 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Gina says

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!??? Have you people not learned anything from us the viewers???? We DO NOT WANT another reality show!!! The nighttime hospital reality shows didn’t make it… what makes you think daytime will. I think the ABC moguls are trying to get us to QUIT watching their station. Well, thats ok with me. I can watch another cable station. Have you people not noticed that some of the other cable stations are picking up on reruns of former shows that we love to watch but you cancelled. And as for losing sponsors… well I would stop sponsoring you too if all you want to put on is reality tv and NOT what the viewers want. Hint: if viewers watch their shows that they love then they will buy the products that are sponsoring their shows. If you keep taking shows off that we love then we can also picket the products that sponsor you!! They are called soaps because when they first started airing they were sponsored by companies like Ivory Snow.. products that the viewers bought! When AMC and OLTL starts via internet I will be one of the first in line to turn off ABC and turn on my computer to watch!!

2. DEBBIE says

NO I WOULD NOT WATCH THE REALITY SHOW OF GENERAL HOSPITAL. LEAVE GENERAL HOSPITAL ALONE. I TOO STARTING WATCHING GENERAL HOSPITAL, ONE LIFE TO LIVE AND ALL MY CHILDREN IN THE SIXTIES WITH MY MOTHER. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THEM EVER SINCE. I HATED IT WHEN ABC TOOK ALL MY CHILDREN AND ONE LIFE TO LIVE OFF. IF ABC TAKES GENERAL HOSPITAL OFF, I PROMISE ANY NEW NIGHTTIME SHOWS COMING ON I WILL MAKE SURE NOT TO WATCH. I AM NOT GOING TO DEPRIEVE MYSELF OF THE FEW I ENJOY NOW. COUGAR TOWN IS GOING TO A NEW NETWORK AND I WILL BE FOLLOWING IT. MAYBE ONE DAY I AND ALOT OF OTHERS WANT BE WATCHING TO MUCH OF ABC AND MAYBE IT WILL GO AWAY TOO…….. BY THE WAY REALITY SHOWS ARE JUST DRAMA AND THEY ADD ALOT OF STUPID DRAMA THAT IS FAKE TO MAKE IT WORSE.

3. Joni Gribble says

NO WAY I was devestated when all my children and one life to live were taken off… I hate reality tv leave it the way it is

4. Allan Bell says

I started watching this show when I was a kid in the 60’s with my mom. And years later I still watch this show, my wife has it programmed into the DVR and we watch it togethor on the weekends.

Why do the networks refuse to listen to the fans and try to fix what isnt broken? Get it through your freaking heads networks, we fans control your destiny.

When I read this reality show bs to my wife and asked her if she would watch a reality show version of GH she said she wouldn’t watch it and I agree with her.

ABC, if you want to lose viewers and revinue then go ahead. But it’s not about what you want, IT’S ABOUT WHAT THE VIEWERS WANT SO LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE

5. Karen says

Started watching in college (rearranged my schedule) before Luke & Laura in the disco became the most talked about story line in SOAP world. Don’t cancel this one, too!!

• Fan from 1975 says

I did the same thing with my college classes around the same time you did! My college tv room was packed at Luke and Laura’s wedding! It was like a family member was getting marrried

6. JIngram says

Are you kidding me?? One Life to Live was replaced by The Revolution, and then it was cancelled. Don’t do this to all of us Soap fans. Leave GH alone!!!

7. GHFAN30YRS says

No! No! No! Reality TV is getting soooo old! Leave general Hospital ALONE! It is a great soap opera! We do not need reality tv for everything (well not anything really)! I have been watching General Hospital for 30yrs. My earliest memory is comming home from school in 3rd grade and watching! I loved it then and treasure it now! Both of my daughters tune in with me everyday (love DVR)!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not take General Hospital away! That is the only TV show I watch!

8. Laura says

No, I most certainly would NOT tune in to watch yet another ridiculous reality show, especially one that is replacing a time-honored, staple of my life.

9. K. Bichlmaier says

I have long hated ABC, also known as the “Already Been Cancelled” network. Aside from never giving rookie shows a chance to find their audience (sayonara, “666 Park Avenue”), they take the veteran daytime programs & move to cancel them. If they dump GH, I’m definitely done with ABC. Stupid, greedy network executives. Maybe GH could get picked up at another (cable) network if ABC goes through with its plan.

10. Lynda Johnson says

PLEASE don’t take our last soap away. GH is a great soap I enjoy watching it every day.I’m still hoping AMC And OLTL will come back on. AFTERNOON. TV JUST HASNT BEEN THE SAME SINCE THEY. WENT OFF THE AIR.

11. Suds Me says

I am SO TIRED of reality and don’t understand how reality is so entertaining. Except for watching the news or educational programs, wasn’t the essence of watching television supposed to take us away from reality for something entertaining?

We do not need to see hospital reality in place of a soap opera.

Except for sporting events, my television may as well be unplugged without All My Children. I boycott ABC Disney for the ridiculous business decision they have made that eliminated All My Children and One Life to Live.