Gravity: Starz Cancels TV Series; No Season Two

GravityPay-for-view channel Starz has announced that Gravity won’t be back for a second year. The show completed its run last week after just 10 episodes.

Gravity is a dramatic comedy that follows a group from an eccentric out-patient program for suicide survivors. Co-created by Eric Schaeffer and Jill Franklyn, the cast includes Schaeffer, Ivan Sergei, James Martinez, Krysten Ritter, Rachel Hunter, Robyn Cohen, Seth Numrich, and Ving Rhames.

Starz had high hopes for the series but it just never caught on. The season (now series) finale attracted an invisible 0.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 54,000 viewers. To no surprise, Starz has admitted that neither Gravity nor Party Down will be returning for another round.

In a statement, Stephan Shelanski, Starz’ executive VP of programming, said, “After careful consideration, we’ve decided not to continue on with subsequent seasons of Party Down and Gravity. We’re grateful to everyone involved in the shows, and are proud to have had them on the channel. Starz remains committed to aggressively expanding our original programming lineup.”

What do you think? Did you watch Gravity? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

andrew cuzzinatti May 15, 2011 at 2:00 am

This show was great. There are lots of great, but cancelled shows that come around every now and then. We all love them, but they still continue to get cancelled. Lots of you are right, the networks just want whatever will attract more viewers. This show was not only about suicide, but also about loss of loved ones, which will happen to all of us one day if it has not already. I lost my father a few months before this show aired, and it helped me deal with his passing. There are lots of other cancelled shows that deal with emotional, deep, and poignant issues in people’s lives that are extremely entertaining as Gravity was. This was such a different show, even made me and some other people out there shed a tear which is unheard of for a cable sitcom! Perhaps, a network and create another channel or sister-network that has shows like this and caters to the type of viewer that appreciates great, yet different TV programs. Contact me for more info on this, at acuzzinatti@gmail.com.

lwest May 12, 2011 at 6:51 am

I think I’ll cancel my subscription to Starz. Gravity was awesome. This is such a disappointment to a lot of people I know. We were all looking forward to season 2. Finally a smart comedy and it gets cancelled…

Me smith May 3, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I too am going to miss gravity. I was very disappointed that the show got canceled. I absolutely loved lilly and the whole show. Wow stars what’s next camelot?

Joshua April 12, 2011 at 10:49 am

Gravity is spectacular! I always looked forward to watching it with friends. I am sad that it’s over. We should campaign to get this show to keep going!

Kathy Martin April 12, 2011 at 5:27 am

I Love the show Gravity, sorry to see it go!

Heather April 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Very bummed to hear Gravity won’t be back…it ended with the worlds biggest cliffhanger.

Cheryl April 2, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I LOVED Gravity… I too happened upon it and watched several episodes in one day and from that pointon looked forward to it every week. I was so hoping in was starting back up soon. Please reconsider…. I adore te characters. The show was very moving.

dave March 28, 2011 at 12:55 am

Why did the chicken kill himself?
To get to the other side!
This show was awesome almost kind of inspirational, I had actually started watching after I lost my girlfriend to suicide and found the show provided something to ease everything, hey maybe its just me.

Samantha March 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I am SO disappointed!! This show was original and had dark humor to it! I loved it!! Now it’s gone! It was a cliff hanger as well . I am really bummed!! Unfortunately this show really was not advertised for? I caught up on demand; watched five episodes in one night than weekly!! Please bring it back!!

Doug March 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm

That blows… cancelled…Gravity was an original intelligent comedy with a cast of quirky characters that you fell for with time.

Nichole March 6, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I love this show too. I also was searching to see when season 2 was gonna start and came across this. I think it is bull! Please bring Gravity back! :(

Billy February 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Really This Show is doing great why are they no season 2 i love this show Bring back season Two please :)

Wanda February 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Every time I get interested in a program it gets cancelled. What is up with this ? Gravity, The Gates, Flash Forward,Blood Ties. Dresden Files. I tell its seems only thing this producers want is this silly none thinking garbage about reality housewives, people on diets, howmuh food can a person eat and other things that don’t stimulate the brain cells at all. Compared to some of the garbage on tv the informercial are more interesting. I guess I’ll pull my reading glasses out and rediscover a lost art.

George March 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm

well Billy Rae besides GRAVITY look at ur freakin picks will u! None of my friends nor myself heard of Any of those soundhing shows of ur’s. however when Starz tells u after a certain epasode “Gravity is coming back next year or has been renewed for next year” BOYCOTT STARZ!

lisa April 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

i totally agree, wanda! i’d also like to add carnivale, john from cincinnati, heroes (ended abruptly without any resolution to the story lines) and as mentioned above… party down. that show was hilarious! what i really fail to grasp is the fluff TV you talk about in your post is what’s pulling in the ratings. is this what passes for entertainment? perhaps it simply means that the average mainstream ppl in our society are boneheads that feed on a steady diet of drivel and they love it.

Cortney February 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I loved the show, was seeing when season 2 would begin and ran across this:( was looking forward to see what happened

sara February 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

i loved gravity..always looked forward in coming home and watchin new episodes.
im verryyy dissapointed it has been canceled.
and very much think it should be brought back!