Harry’s Law: New NBC Legal Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Harry's LawLast week, NBC unveiled their newest legal drama series, Harry’s Law. Interestingly, this isn’t a new Law & Order spin-off but rather the brainchild of David E. Kelley who created shows like ABC’s Boston Legal. He also worked on NBC’s popular LA Law many years ago. Will this legal series last as long as those or be quickly cancelled instead?

Harry’s Law revolves around Harriet “Harry” Korn (Kathy Bates), a curmudgeonly ex-patent lawyer. She’s abruptly fired from her blue chip law firm, forcing her to search for a fresh start. Harry finds it when she meets Malcolm Davies (Aml Ameen), a college student who desperately needs her help and ends up working for her. A young legal hotshot named Adam Branch (Nate Corddry) accidentally hits her and gives up his corporate job to join the team. With the help of Harry’s shoe-obsessed assistant, Jenna (Brittany Snow), they open for business as Harriet’s Law and Fine Shoes.

The TV series debuted last Monday and it attracted an okay 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 11.07 million viewers. It ranked in second place for the timeslot though probably would have been third if Castle had not been a repeat. Though that’s not a great debut, it’s a 47% improvement over Chase’s last original episode in the same timeslot. That’s very positive for NBC.

What do you think of Harry's Law?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last night’s episode of Harry’s Law drew a 2.1 in the demo and 10.43 million viewers. That’s a loss of about 5% in the demo from the premiere but still positive since most shows lose between 10 and 15% of their viewership in week two. Most people who watched last week obviously liked it and returned and perhaps even told a friend or two.

After just two airings, Harry’s Law ranks in sixth place on the list of NBC’s most-watched scripted programs, just below 30 Rock. That’s very positive, especially considering NBC’s string of bad luck in the Mondays at 10pm timeslot. If the series can sustain or even build on these early numbers, it looks certain that NBC will renew it for season two.

But, what do you think? Do you like Harry’s Law? Do you think NBC should keep it going or just cancel it? What do you like or dislike about the new series?

sallee October 22, 2011 at 7:35 am

Please change Harry’s Law back!!!! The show was a different view of a lawyer show and I loved it last season. I loved that Harry helped the little guy for little or no money or on the barter system. She was cool. I loved the downstairs shoe store/office. I miss the gang characters and the rest of the neighborhood characters. They are what made the show. Now it is a typical lawyer show taking high priced clients. I hate the rock star image you are trying to run with. Please fix this. I really do not like this season and probably won’t watch.

Mary October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I watched the new season of Harry’s Law and was soooo disappointed. Why change something when it’s not broken, as they say. I loved it last season. I thought it was unique and different and loved the location (getto) area that the characters were located in. Also loved the different “shoe/lawyer store”. It was truly entertaining. Now it seems to me it is just another lawyer show like all of the rest. I also really miss the characters of the first season. My husband even agreed with me that it is not the same. It seemed much more personal last season. Wish it was back like it was. Don’t know if I will continue watching.

Anonamous September 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I voted “keep it” in spring, but today, I renege that vote.
Had I known that they would butcher it, I would’ve said “kill it before it turns evil”

roze July 22, 2011 at 9:37 am

i can see this show in France, and i love it, please continue :)

hope July 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I really hope that you keep Harry’s Law around for season 2. It is one of nbc’s better shows. It always bring a smile to my face. Keep Harry’s Law around, Please

Rita July 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I watched for the first time tonight and loved it. Never knew it existed. Looking forward to next episode!!

Kim July 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Keep this show. It has human spirit, humor, everyday people dealing with sudden situations that they need help with. Its a fun show and makes you laugh. It’s nice to have a feel good show, we have too many killings, bloody shows that try to outdo each other for ratings. This show makes you root for the underdog!

Loreto E T July 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm

For God’s sake, keep it!!! They’ve already cancelled most of my favorite TV shows — Stargate Universe, Defenders, Outsourced, to name a few…

Sandra July 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Please keep it. It’s a great show. Kathy Bates is wonderful and very talented.

James P flannigan July 11, 2011 at 11:31 am

Great show keep it NBC.

Christine July 4, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I LOVE the show! I look forward to it’s return.. I LOVE Kathy Bates in ANYTHING! she’s a great actress.

sue chewning June 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I LOVED Harry’s law and can not wait till it returns .. Please please keep it on TV>

Georgia June 22, 2011 at 11:09 am

We love this series!! It so great to have a show that’s so much fun to watch! “What’s Harry gonna do today?!!” We hope it comes back on soon!! We miss having it on! We don’t like the reality shows because there’s too many of them, please bring back Harry’s Law!! Kathy is so great in the series and so are the rest of the cast!! They make our night!! We would watch every night if it we’re to be on!!

Sandy June 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Very entertaining, funny, serious and has a good message to all who watch!

shirley June 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I looked forward to seeing this show (my show) on Monday nights. It’s entertaining as well as suspenceful and I am looking forward to season two. A breath of fresh air!