HawthoRNe: Cast Reacts to TV Show Cancellation

HawthoRNe canceledIn case you haven’t heard, TNT has cancelled HawthoRNe after three seasons on the air. The medical drama ran for 30 episodes total, from June 2009 until August 2011. HawthoRNe’s ratings started out strong but dipped each season. It was the lowest-rated drama on TNT this summer except for Men of a Certain Age, a drama that was cancelled after two seasons on the air.

Series star Jada Pinkett Smith broke the news to her fans by writing, “Hey everyone…if you don’t know Hawthorne will not be returning for another season. I want to say thank you to all the fans for being Hawthorne soldiers. All our facebook fans…twitter soldiers and viewers…you held us down. Of course you know there is more to come…believe it!”

Following a steamy scene between Smith and costar Marc Anthony, there were rumors that the two were having an affair. Supposedly, she and her husband, Will Smith, were also splitting up. The Smiths issued a statement last week that addressed the rumors, “Although we are reluctant to respond to these types of press reports, the rumors circulating about our relationship are completely false. We are still together, and our marriage is intact.”

Vanessa Lengies (CNO Kelly Epson) sympathized with HawthoRNe fans who were sad about the show’s demise and tweeted, “Loyal HawthoRNe followers, u know if it was up 2 me I would play Kelly 4 you til you asked me 2 stop.” She also posted a few backstage photos of herself and the cast.

Aisha Hinds (Isabel Walsh) was upset by the cancellation news and wrote, “:-( Boooo!!! Love my HawthoRNe Family!”

What do you think? Are sorry to see the TV series end? Could HawthoRNe have been saved?

Angela May 19, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Never new this show existed until I found it on Netflix. Saw that there were only 30 episodes from 2009 and learned that it was cancelled, I am very disappointed. I don’t know if a cancelled show can ever make a comeback but I hope so. Had the same thing happen with Flashpoint, loved it and it was cancelled. The problem may be that people don’t watch it on TV, they wait to see it on Netflix and therefore don’t get the ratings.

Barry Canada May 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Hated that this series ended. Personally, I was a little bit upset about the direction in which the show turned, Christina getting involved with Nick and all; however, it didn’t keep me from sitting down to watch every episode. The show deserved another season or two…. or more!

Anonymous March 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I really loved watching HAWTHORNE. My six year old daughter and I had a very interesting time discussing feelings and the importance of communication. It allowed me to explained how all adults make mistakes and why we should always try to help one another. I must say that though it may not be a perfect show I enjoyed it’s portrayal of human strengths and weaknesses. The strong bond between mothers and daughters, the sometimes wavering bond between husbands and wives, the love of dysfunctional family members, the loyalty of great friends, the guilt of those who cause pain intentionally or inadvertently, the learning to ask for forgiveness, the virtue of forgiving, and the unconditional love that holds everything together in the end these are some of the things that we seem to neglect at times with our families and that HAWTHORNE pointed out for us. This show meant a lot to many people who were struggling with communication problems. Thanks to the cast for such a wonderful portrayal. Sorry we let you down with the rating. There are so many so-called reality shows being staged on television now a days that my family and I avoid watching any more. Truly wish to see Christina and Tom fix their relationship. Really hope Hawthorne would be brought back to life.

Anonymous January 31, 2013 at 11:11 am

Still missing Hawthorne. Hey Jada why don’t you make your own series and sell it on the internet who needs a network anyway. Or maybe try OWN. That would be great. I love the way it ended. Would really like to see more.

P williams January 10, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Oh my GOD this was the best thing on TV in a long time PLEASE BRING BACK
HAWTHORN!!!!!!

Anonymous October 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm

PLEASE pLEASE PLEASE!!!!! BRING HAWTHORNE BACK !!! I WAS WORKING DIFFERENT SHIFTS AND NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO SIT AND WATCH IT. BUT NOW I HAVE DVR AND I WILL BE RECORDING IT! I HAVE WATCHED IT OVER AND OVER ON NETFLIX. I TRIED TO GET INTO GREYS ANATOMY BUT ITS NOTHING LIKE HAWTHORNE!! PLEASE!!! ITS MOST DEFINITELY BETTER THAN THESE REALITY TV SHOWS AND HONEY BOO BOO!

k October 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Hawthorne was one of the very view shows I watched on television. I would like to see the series returned to television. If need be a few minor changes can be made but I enjoyed the show. This show was a good example of the mistakes people make and what forgiveness and love can do. Great cast as well. I hope a station would pick it up.

Edith Johnson October 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I’m just sorry I never watched the show on TNT. Because I can’t afford TV right now, I decided to watch it via Netflix. EXCELLENT show…please bring the show back. I’m not pressed about buying tv because there is so much trash on all of the networks. It was good to see something heartwarning and decent for a change. These realty shows are just sickening…bring back good tv like Hawthorne…HONESTLY!!!!!

MILLIE October 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm

NOT SAD TO SEE HAWTHORNE GO. SHE WAS FINALLY IN A GOOD RELATIONSHIP AND WENT AND SCREWED IT UP VERY DISAPPOINTED IN HER!

Jane Harris October 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm

One more thing I need to say to TNT: It’s been OVER A YEAR since Hawthorne has been cancelled, and old and new viewers alike continue to beg you to bring this wonderful show back. THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT HOW DEEPLY THIS SHOW AFFECTED ITS VIEWERS. Just imagine, you’ll have all the previous fans SO excited to see its return, PLUS all those who discovered it through Netflix, Amazon.com, and other outlets. And THE MANY OF THE NEW VIEWERS WILL BE NEW TO YOUR NETWORK! This will expose them to so many of your other programs. (For example, I have not been a TNT viewer. But if you bring back HawthoRNe, I’ll be there every week. AND will very likely start watching some of your other shows that I had not heard of before. Talk about a great marketing strategy! Plus the old fans will love TNT for life, rather than be so disappointed with your network for cutting off HawthoRNe, especially in such a hard-hearted way.

Jane Harris October 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I have never asked a network to bring back a show that they’ve cancelled, BUT NOW I FIND MYSELF BEGGING YOU TO BRING BACK HAWTHORNE! I won’t restate all of the reasons that have already been given by all the the other fans. Just know we are watching you, TNT, to see if you care enough about the millions of views who fell in love with Christina, Tom, and so many of the other characters. And want to be part of their family again! ALSO, ONE PERHAPS VERY INTERESTING IDEA: HAVE THEM ADOPT THE LITTLE GIRL WITH DIABETES, WHO WAS ABANDONED BY BOTH OF HER PARENTS, AND WHO HAD CONTACT WITH CHRISTINA AND TOM’S BABY WHEN SHE WAS GOING IN AND OUT OF CONSCIOUSNESS! What a sweet, beautiful story that would be!

shai October 3, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I just started to watch this show and omg its over already. This show needs to go to a new channel or something cause its worth to be play over some of the crap they have on tv this show fixed my relationship and gave me a better look on somethings that needs to be said rather than done…