Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

Anonymous August 22, 2014 at 1:49 am

Can we get a petition going to have a series finale just finished it on hulu and was loving it but now I’m frustrated on what is going on and how it will end. NOV don’t leave us hanging.

Ashley August 17, 2014 at 9:46 am

I recently became interested in the show and was on the edge of my seat when the show ended with me wondering what was happening to both the men in Veronica’s life. Then to find out the show was cancelled…I’m not too happy. The network should have at least allowed the show to air an episode that ended things appropriately. In my opinion, the show was improving. I hope that there is some consideration to allowing at least a “finale” episode.

Anonymous August 12, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I really liked this show & disappointed it didn’t last, however, at the very least they could have aired a series finale to give the viewers an ending!

DeeDee August 5, 2014 at 3:10 am

Man this was a good TV show. I live the main actress. Want to know if the 2 guys in her life are ok. Mike omg it left us hanging. Got to have more. Please bring it back at least as noted above a 2 hour.

Trisha August 4, 2014 at 11:39 pm

It was so good I think it should come back as a hulu or Netflix series since it didn’t do good on views

DeeDee August 5, 2014 at 3:11 am

Have to agree why not ?

DeeDee August 5, 2014 at 3:17 am

Yes that’s a good point. With the same ppl in The Orange is the new Black. I think it would hit it off even better. She was the main reason I even watched the show on hulu it would be awesome if can continue on hulu or and Netflix. …

Anonymous July 30, 2014 at 3:36 am

Imvery upset that mercy is not coming back this is my favoriteand I NEED to know what happens please please pleasebringit back

Eva July 30, 2014 at 1:47 am

This is show is very good. Caught my eye on Hulu and now sad that I am on the last episode. All the good shows never last :/

Anonymous July 25, 2014 at 2:13 am

They always cancel the best shows

Andrea July 24, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I love this show and I’m so mad/sad/so confused about this show not having a second season! I want to know what happens. I wanna know what happens to Mike, Dr. Sands, and especially Veronica. This is one of the best shows ever, I guess some people just can’t see that. The cast was fantastic especially Taylor Schilling.

Heather H July 21, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Love this show watched on hulu in 3 days. I cant believe its over.

heather July 18, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I love this show. I didn’t see it when it aired, but i watched the whole season on Hulu in about a week. It’s awesome. I think they should bring it back, especially now that a lot of the characters have been in Orange is the New Black.

heather July 18, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Or rather, the actors, not the characters.

Rosanna July 16, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Please bring it back my family really enjoys the show

stephanie July 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Please bring back the show!!! I love it!

Tammy July 12, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Loved the show, please bring it back. Hope to see Mike win his wife back.

Anonymous July 12, 2014 at 8:37 am

Please please bring this show back

Debi July 16, 2014 at 7:31 pm

At least bring it back for like a two hour special to wrap up what happened, episode 22 totally left anyone who love the show hanging and we deserve to have a wrap up.