Mercy: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Mercy canceledAt the start of the season, we wondered which new NBC medical drama had the best chance at survival — Mercy or Trauma. It was hard to decide but now, they’ve both been cancelled anyway.

Mercy follows the lives of three very different nurses at Mercy Hospital in Jersey City. The cast includes Taylor Schilling, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Tupper, Diego Klattenhoff, Guillermo Diaz, James LeGros, James Van Der Beek, and Delroy Lindo.

The medical drama got off to a pretty poor start last September, attracting a 2.3 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.25 million total viewers. Unfortunately, viewership fell even lower from there.

Despite the ratings, NBC ordered a full season of episodes, likely because the network needed the original programming. Though NBC’s Primetime Entertainment President Angela Bromstad said she liked the show creatively, she noted that the show’s ratings had to improve for it to survive.

The ratings didn’t improve. The most recent episode attracted only a 1.1 rating in the demo and 4.01 million viewers.

To no surprise, the Mercy TV show’s now been cancelled. The 22nd and final episode aired last Wednesday, May 12th. Unfortunately, it wasn’t intended to be a series finale and didn’t wrap up the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mercy won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to have seen happen?

kate April 9, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Please bring it back, such a good show with such real life situations I.e ptsd, needs to be wrapped up plus we haven’t seen the whole cast of gossip girl having cameos just 4! Lol bring it back please

Anonymous April 7, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Such a great show! I think a season 2 might be worth it!

anon April 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

BRING IT BACK….. please, want more

Anonymous April 5, 2014 at 11:24 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK-its so good!! I bought the series a long time ago and watched it many many times! But everytime i get to end its disappointing cuz i dont know what happens next!!

Lodie April 3, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I loved the show also. I believe if you put the second season on, people will definitely watch given the popularity of Orange is the New Black. Taylor is great!!!! All of us who watched are wondering what the heck happened at the end of the last episode..

Anonymous April 3, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Please please please do another series. Need to see what happens next?? Just watched the first season and was so good. Didn’t realise until I finished that there wasn’t anymore. So sad :-(

Paula March 31, 2014 at 10:02 am

WHAT!!!!!! I’ve just watched the whole first season in 2 days on Netflix!!! I need a 2nd season!!!!! aaaarrrrrhhhhhhh

Jen March 30, 2014 at 11:38 pm

They should put it back up!! I need to finish watching the series. The last episode shouldn’t be finish the way it did. I need to see the second serous. Please!!
I totally wish they could put it back on. I know and I believe people will start watching because 5 years had pass.

Anonymous March 30, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I think they should start the show up again, I mean it’s been five years there’s probably more people who will watch it, oh well

Gigi March 30, 2014 at 7:22 am

I loved the show. The characters were interesting and I couldn’t believe there wasn’t an episode 2 or at least a wrap-up. The show had all the earmarks of several seasons b/c of the love interests and personal issues characters were dealing with.

As a professional who has taught nursing in a New Jersey university and currently has a private psychotherapy practice, I can tell you that nurses don’t go to bars, drink, and then go back to the hospital and practice nursing, as happened in the program. Depicting nurses in this light is an unfair characterization of nurses and gives the public a wrong impression especially if consumers are to have confidence in the nursing profession. Sometimes programs like this are the only glimpse the public gets of a profession. Dr. Leo, Ph.D, APRN-BC, CNL