Pan Am: ABC Pres Maintains Show’s Not Dead Yet

Pan Am not canceled yetDespite ever falling ratings, ABC’s not willing to give up on Pan Am — at least not publicly anyway.

At today’s ABC portion of the Television Critics Association Press Tour, network president Paul Lee reflected, “When it opened, it really brought a good audience to it.”

He then noted, “I think there’s a lot of goodwill toward the show. It’s a great cast. We have new and original shows right through the end of February and it’ll be in contention past that.”

Lee chose not to focus on the fact that, while Once Upon a Time and Desperate Housewives saw big gains following the winter break, Pan Am hit a new series low. The freshman series drew just a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.96 million total viewers.

The recent airing brought the season average down to a 1.9 in the demo and 6.16 million, registering a “D+” on our ABC report card. Aside from Body of Proof, it’s the least watched show on the network that hasn’t been cancelled yet.

ABC initially ordered 13 episodes but then asked for one more. Only four episodes remain for this season, and likely the series. It’s slated for February 19th.

What do you think? Is ABC still considering a future for Pan Am or is it all but officially cancelled?

Jeremy Rynek May 11, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Well obviously now we know it was just a desperate attempt to get people to watch, but who was he kidding?

Ann April 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Please! It is very interesting and amazing serial, don`t cancel it! I am from Russia, there are more than 10 thousands people who watch it and love it.

Pamela J March 26, 2012 at 11:04 am

This is one of the BEST shows on TV — PLEASE DON’T cancel it! Give it some more time so more people can find out about it. KEEP IT PLEASE!!

marina March 25, 2012 at 8:12 am

Please, do not close this show!
It’s fantastic, wonderfull and unreal serial.
It is the best!!!

dianne March 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I was looking to see when the show airs againbecause I miss it and I am shocked to see it may be cancelled…..one of the best shows out there,,,,please don’t cancel!

Joan March 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Pan Am is a very well-done show, and I’ve watched every episode. When I read it was part of the new 2011 lineup, I was so excited! It takes me back to my youth, the mid 60s, when flying was a fun adventure rather than the ordeal it is today. So nice to be able to escape to that time, if only for an hour on Sunday night! Pan Am deserves another season – maybe more people would discover it (when – not if – they tire of the trash that passes for reality TV). Save Pan Am!

Richard March 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I really enjoy the show. Was hoping it could make it to the 70 and when the 747 was launched. Put a little more historical events into the story and the show cold have a shot!

David March 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Quality and sizzle are a pleasure to see for a change. Like Mad Men, Pan Am brings it all to the table. Keep Pan Am going and get out the word so more viewers will have a chance to know it’s there.

Christina March 4, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Please keep Pan Am on! It feels like we’re just getting started!

Jo March 3, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I really like the show! Don’t take it off the air. Love the era. So called reality shows suck and those should be cancelled. We have enough in real life don’t want to see stupid people get drunk, cry, fight, and act stupid. Give us an escape, fantasy

Deb Anne March 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love Pan Am, I grew up in the 70’s & wanted to be a stewardess just like the Pan Am ladies. It is so fun to watch, please don’t cancel, the cast is great, love each & every one of them, fresh new faces….

Tanya March 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I do love this show!!!! Please, don’t cancel it, it’s the best show now!

Loretta March 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I think Pan Am is the first new show for ABC to get it straight. It is nice to see the fashions and characters replay a part of history of life as we viewed it. To go back in time has it moments. Keep the show on ABC

melinda janicke February 29, 2012 at 10:26 am

Please keep pan am on and keep having the series on and off for 1-2 then back on. I think that hurts the show.

Juliette February 26, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Pan AM is glamourous, history telling drama with empowered /beautiful woman. Pan Am tells a good solid story and cuts right to the chase. The characters are engaging and it would be a major ding to quality TV if this show ends too early.