Parenthood: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Four?

Parenthood canceled renewedTonight marks the season finale of NBC’s Parenthood. The ratings are down so will it end up being the series finale as well? Will the show be cancelled or return for a fourth season?

Parenthood debuted back in March of 2009 as a mid-season replacement series. The first season’s 13 episodes ended up averaging a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.38 million total viewers. The show was on the bubble but ended up getting renewed.

NBC didnt wait until mid-season to bring it back and season two kicked off in September 2010. With a full 22 episode season, the show’s averages dropped to a 2.1 in the demo and 5.34 million. Parenthood was on the bubble once again but, once again, it ended up being renewed.

This season, the ratings have dropped once again. The third season of Parenthood (not including tonight’s numbers) have averaged a 1.9 in the demo with 5.13 million. Based on the lower numbers at the start of the season, NBC only ordered 18 installments this time around.

Should Parenthood get a fourth season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ordinarily, one would expect that Parenthood would be on the verge of cancellation once again. However, because the rest of NBC’s schedule is in such sorry shape, Parenthood’s ratings actually look pretty good by comparison.

Out of the 17 scripted programs that have aired on NBC this season, Parenthood has the sixth highest demo ratings, beating out shows like Community, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and Grimm. On our NBC ratings report card, Parenthood registers a firm “B.”

Based on the season numbers and the fact that Parenthood is co-produced by Universal Television, NBC’s own production company, it’s almost guaranteed to be back for a fourth season.

But, what do you think? Do you think Parenthood should be renewed or cancelled? How long should the series reasonably continue?

Canceled and renewed TV show

752 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Maggi says

One of our favorite shows….my husband and I looked forward each week for another episode. PLease do not cancel!!!!!

2. Anonymous says

OMG!!!!!! PLEASE do not cancel parenthood I love this show I have never missed one episode I love the cast and the stories, its so realistic its amazing!!!!!!

3. Janice B says

Please keep Parenthood! It is very relatable and very real! I have told so many people to watch this show and now they are hooked! I am so sick of reality shows its nice to watch a “dramady” for a change!

4. Amy says

Please don’t cancel Parenthood ! Absolutely love this show. It’s one show my husband and I can actually agree on!

5. June Rynkewicz says

I have watched this show since the very first one, and totally enjoyed it. There should be some other shows just like it. Please bring it back.

6. Anne says

I started watching season 1 on Netflix in March and have now finished all three seasons. PLEASE bring this show back – I am hooked and think it’s far better than 90% of the reality shows out there.

7. Rebecca Alcorn says

One Of My alltime favs! Love The Entire Cast!
    But evrytime i Love a Show..It Gets Canceled…
    Like Animal Practice.

8. Lynne says

Parenthood has been the only decent show on Tuesday evenings. The show has an awesome cast and the story lines are very pertinent for today. NBC you need to keep this show on the air.

9. Margy says

Keep it! Broad generational appeal, interesting characters, nice variety in story lines. What more does one need in a TV series?

10. Bonnie says

I absolutely love this show! I have a son with asperger’s and love Max! All actors on this shoe are fantastic and each episode leaves me ranting more

11. Melanie says

This is my all time favourite show!! The cast, the sets, the topics are all amazing!! I wouldn’t change a thing. I don’t think I have made it through an episode without at least a few tears!! PLEASE DON’T CANCEL!!!!!