Parenthood: What Happened? Has the NBC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ParenthoodWe’ve received quite a few e-mails from readers who are been worried that Parenthood has been cancelled by NBC. Well, it hasn’t been canned and will actually be returning on January 4th. That’s the good news but fans shouldn’t get too complacent. The drama hasn’t been performing all that well and certainly isn’t assured of a third season.

Last May, Parenthood was one of those shows that was “on the bubble” but still ended up being renewed. Though season one premiered with a 3.1 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 8.1 million viewers, it soon after dropped to a 2.3 rating and 5.83 million viewers. The 13 episodes of season one ended up averaging a 2.6 in the demo and 6.38 million total viewers.

For season two, Parenthood debuted at about the same demo rating it had at the end of season one. Unfortunately, that didn’t last. In mid-November, shortly before it went on hiatus, Parenthood hit a series low of a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demo and 4.8 million viewers.

The first half of the season has averaged a 2.1 in the demo and 5.22 million. Parenthood is currently the seventh-highest rated scripted program on the network, falling in the middle of the list, just below The Event. While it’s not in immediate danger of being cancelled, the show’s certainly not safe either. Its fate will ultimately be decided by how well it performs when it returns from the six week hiatus. Most shows don’t typically fare very well and ratings drop after a hiatus. Will Parenthood be the exception?

What do you think? Will the ratings for Parenthood go up or down? Will it be cancelled or survive to see season three?

maureen March 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm

please do not cancel parenthood… this story deals with real life episodes.. enough reality shows is enough…….we need petitions to sign to leave good programs on. leave the good shows alone.. who reviews these shows anyway to determine which shows stay and which shows go….. we have never been asked for a vote….

N. Tate March 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Please don’t cancel Parenthood, it is one of the best shows on TV right now. I’m sick to death of all the reality shows. Parenthood is a wholesome show for adults to watch. Please, please, please don’t cancel it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marian G March 11, 2013 at 10:53 pm

P L E A S E do not cancel this wonderful show, a show without violence, sex or shoot ‘em ups. It’s a wholesome, terrific show about a family who has family values which is quite rare these days. My husband and I sit and laugh, cry – just mezmorized by this quality show.

Lynda Rose March 4, 2013 at 8:21 pm

The Parenthood was one of my favorite shows & I really miss it.Please bring it back!!

grandma g March 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Please please DO NOT CANCEL. I don’t know how ratings truly work but everyone I work with are buzzing the next day. If I can’t watch it live, I tape it. It is my most favorite program on TV even beating out IDOL. The characters and actors are fresh and extremely talents.

Anonymous March 4, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Do not Cancel!!!!

Jody February 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I, too, enjoy this show immensely! Can’t wait to watch it the next day (because I TIVO it). The series addresses real-life issues (which I know is the intention). Please do not cancel as it is so refreshingly different from the sitcoms and reality shows which are more than abundant. Where is that petition? I want to sign it.

Anonymous February 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

This is a great family show it’s like things really happen to families and what I have to deal with everyday just like all of us I look forward to it every week. please please do not cancel the show.

Anonymous February 21, 2013 at 6:55 pm

DO NOT CANCEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan C February 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Please Please don’t cancel this show. This is the only show on TV that my whole family will watch together and really looks forward to it . Parenthood addresses real life problems and situations which makes you feel like they’re part of your family. Most of the junk on TV I do not want my child watching but this show is something that is very enjoyable and is sometimes a great learning experience and I don’t think these actors get the credit they deserve because they are all outstanding. If you cancel this show, pretty soon there will be nothing left on TV that the whole family can watch together which would be a real shame Someone please get a petition going and my whole family will sign it.

Rick February 14, 2013 at 8:52 am

I enjoy Parenthood, haven’t missed a show yet. I work nites and miss it on TV. I watch it the next day on-line. Do not cancel.

Linda A. February 12, 2013 at 11:43 am

My husband & I looked forward to watching this program each week. The characters are so real and their everyday lives connect with the viewers. Please do NOT cancel this show. We are so sick of stupid reality shows and copy cat Doctor, police, drama programs. This show has talent and an interesting story line. Many of our friends have not watched it because of the time slot. It comes on too late. Maybe think of moving it to earlier time or weekends. Thank You.

shelley gardner February 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

please,,do NOT cancel NBC’S Parenthood,,,love love love the show!!!!

Debbie February 5, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Parenthood, quite simply, is a show I hate to love.
I am so sick of “I can cry on cue” Kristina and thought that video she made her kids in case she died (when she was in the hospital, over Christmas) was over the top. That actress is maudlin.
I love the premise of the show, but wish it wouldn’t be so much like a chick flick It feels like the writers are trying too hard. The show has definite potential but needs better direction. Also,throw in some friends instead of all these family get-togethers all the time. Too unrealistic. Too schmaltzy. Some good acting talent is being wasted, namely Craig Nelson and Ray Romano
I do miss the show though and hope it returns, with some strength added and crying Kristina subtracted.

A.GHERGICH February 5, 2013 at 10:18 am

I Love,Love,Love, Parenthood. One of the few good shows left on TV, that I watch. Most of it is
reality junk, which I hate. Please, Please, don’t cancel this show. Maybe we can start a petition
to NBC to leave this show on.

Patti McDowell February 12, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I would definitely sign it and so would my whole family

Mary Adams January 31, 2013 at 10:43 am

This is the best show on TV. I look forward to it every week. I wish it came on a bit earlier. It doesn’t come on for me until 10 pm. I have to DVR every episode. I also never see NBC adversiting the show like they do all the other shows on NBC. I’m tired of the advertisements for Smash when my favorite show takes a back seat. Parenthood is your Smash hit even though you don’t promote it.

Lynda Rose March 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I don’t have a dvr so make a point to stay up even if I have to drink coffee so I can watch this show.I HATE reality shows.The only other programs I watch are Ellen & Coronation Street.Please bring it back!! I will sign a petition also.I love everyone on the show.Parenthood is the best most real show any network has produced in ages.Don’t cancel it!!