Privileged: CW Series Cancelled, No Season Two for Joanna Garcia and Company

PrivilegedThough it was looking like the underperforming CW series had a chance at survival, the network has decided to pull the plug on Privileged.

Privileged follows the story of Megan Smith (Joanna Garcia), a perky young journalist who becomes a live-in tutor for two wealthy teenage girls (Lucy Hale and Ashley Newbrough). Others in the cast include Michael Cassidy, Allan Louis, Brian Hallisay, Kristina Apgar, and Anne Archer.

Despite positive reviews and buzz, Privileged debuted on September 9, 2008 to just 2.64 million viewers and a 1.2/3 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Those numbers weren’t great for the junior network and ratings for subsequent episodes fell significantly over the rest of the season.

The network made multiple attempts to boost the show’s audience — giving it more exposure by rerunning episodes in various timeslot — but most viewers just didn’t seem to be particularly interested.

Though the ratings certainly hadn’t mandated it, the network had been considering bringing Privileged back for another season. A few weeks ago, it was announced that the CW would rerun the series during the summer months, an indication that the series still potentially had a future.

But, though Privileged matches the CW’s target demographic, the network has ultimately decided to cancel it. The CW has several potentially strong new series in the hopper and would rather take a chance on them.

Following the cancellation news, series creator Rina Mimoun wrote to Michael Ausiello, “It’s truly heartbreaking. I’m so grateful to everyone out there who supported our little show and fell in love with Megan Smith. She was the most delightful character I’ve ever had the pleasure to write and watching JoAnna Garcia bring her to life every day was a gift I will never forget.”

She concluded, “I’m incredibly proud of the work we did and forever indebted to all the fans, critics and to Warner Bros. for being so wonderful and supportive. I will miss this more than you know.”

How would Megan’s story have ended? We may likely never find out.

- July 27, 2013 at 7:43 am

pleeeeeeeeease Africa needs the season 2 of privileged… we all love it

maja October 5, 2012 at 7:28 am

noooo, This is so wrong, why did you published season one than, I m from Croatia and a lot of people were waching privileged. I m so sick of gosipp girl, and one tree hill, please we all want to see megan and will back together :/

Anna September 4, 2012 at 4:14 am

Soooo they canceled that for more “Gossip Girl” stuff? Please! It was the only interesting show I’ve seen in years :/ I love Rose so much

vasso August 31, 2012 at 6:50 am

Even in Greece this show is a hiit. … You have to make the second season. It has many fans that waiting for…………

Lily July 1, 2012 at 2:04 am

Oh why why why why why? Was really looking forward to more of this show, more of the sarcasm from Marco. So sad!

j May 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

is so sad that cw cancelled this show.it was so nice and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person that loved this show.why they tought that the show hasn’t a future?! so so so sad to stop it like this.the end is so unreal,strange,it sucks.is the worst end I have ever know.all persons that watched this show,i’m sure that they want,like me,to see a second season,to see how things go and what happens with everyone.God,why you would stop a good show that was interesting more and more?!

julie May 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I loved the song. Its very sad to hear there not gonna be another show.

julie May 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I meant show. And sad there wont be another season

ziteng February 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Please do not cancle the show. even in China this show has lost of hit.Some of the parts are very warm and encourage people. Please pleasee pleaseee bring us the seacond and more season. I am so look forward….

stephanie February 11, 2012 at 4:38 am

please, don’t cancel… even in Belgium this show is a hit!

Anonymous January 24, 2012 at 2:53 am

wtf noooooooooooooo!!!!!
y r they doing dis 2 me

sivan July 13, 2011 at 6:54 am

oh… i’m so upset that the show got canceled i loved that show so much it was so good
please bring the show back allot of people loved it i’m sure and it’s really hurtbreaking to find the show ended.
please bring the show back

Anonymous May 30, 2011 at 8:34 am

I also agree…the film was so great and we like it so muchhh….please please pleaseeee make the season 2 come trueee….

nm April 27, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I reaLLY LIKED THIS SHOW IT WAS REALLY GOOD !!IM SO SAD KNOW THAT I SEE THIS ALL THIS TIME IV BEEEN WATING FOR IT TO COME ON .YOU GUYS SHOWED PUT IT BACK ON I BET IT WILL HAVE MUCH MORE RATINGS KNOW.

Anonymous April 15, 2011 at 6:54 am

i agree i love this show and you cant just end it like that please. all the fans of this show would be so grateful if you make a season 2

naz March 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm

oh my days why cancel the show, it was well good! i was wondering why it wasn’t coming back on and i see this .. put the show back on it’s better than the other programmes that come on trust me .. i used to look foward to watch it and now it’s cancelled ..well rude!

Anonymous April 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yeah, I agree! So much!! It can’t just end like that? and what about the ”To be continued..” they can’t write that it’s gonna be continued and then cancel? they could at least make a season two, so it ended good, instead of making it end like this? i mean, nobody is happy in the end? -THAT SUCKS!