Supernatural: Ratings for the 2011-12 TV Season

Supernatural ratingsHere are the latest TV ratings for the Supernatural TV series. Sam and Dean Winchester (Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles) continue hunting demons and trying to keep all hell from breaking loose. The seventh season of Supernatural typically airs Friday nights at 9pm on The CW network.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2011-12 season, the best way to tell if Supernatural will be cancelled or renewed for an eighth season. Check out our CW ratings report card to see how this show’s numbers compare with the others on the network.

Final season seven averages: 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.73 million total viewers.

Episode 07-23: Friday, 05/18/12 (season finale)
0.7 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 1.56 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.73 in the demo with 1.73 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 14 scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-22: Friday, 05/11/12
0.7 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 1.58 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.73 in the demo with 1.74 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 14 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-21: Friday, 05/04/12
0.7 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 1.66 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.73 in the demo with 1.74 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 14 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Update: Supernatural has been renewed for an eighth season.

Episode 07-20: Friday, 04/27/12
0.7 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 1.75 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.74 in the demo with 1.75 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 14 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-19: Friday, 04/20/12
0.7 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 1.57 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.74 in the demo with 1.75 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 13 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-18: Friday, 03/30/12
0.7 in the demo (+17% episode-to-episode change) with 1.78 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.74 in the demo with 1.77 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 13 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-17: Friday, 03/23/12
0.6 in the demo (-14% episode-to-episode change) with 1.63 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.74 in the demo with 1.76 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 13 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-16: Friday, 03/16/12
0.7 in the demo (-13% episode-to-episode change) with 1.73 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.75 in the demo with 1.77 million.
Demo average rank: tied for #4 of 13 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-15: Friday, 2/17/12
0.8 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 1.74 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.76 in the demo with 1.78 million.
Demo average rank: #4 of 12 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-14: Friday, 02/10/12
0.8 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 1.88 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.75 in the demo with 1.78 million.
Demo average rank: Tied for #5 of 12 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-13: Friday, 02/03/12
0.8 in the demo (+14% episode-to-episode change) with 1.72 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.75 in the demo with 1.77 million.

Episode 07-12: Friday, 01/13/12:
0.7 in the demo (-2513% episode-to-episode change) with 1.55 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.75 in the demo with 1.78 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-11: Friday, 1/6/12
0.8 in the demo (+14% episode-to-episode change) with 1.82 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.75 in the demo with 1.80 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-10: Friday, 12/2/11
0.7 in the demo (0% week-to-week change) with 1.89 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.74 in the demo with 1.80 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-09: Friday, 11/18/11
0.7 in the demo (-13% week-to-week change) with 1.55 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.75 in the demo with 1.78 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-08: Friday, 11/11/11
0.8 in the demo (0% week-to-week change) with 1.85 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.76 in the demo with 1.82 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-07: Friday, 11/04/11
0.8 in the demo (+14% week-to-week change) with 1.84 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.76 in the demo with 1.82 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-06: Friday, 10/28/11
0.7 in the demo (-13% week-to-week change) with 1.74 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.75 in the demo with 1.81 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-05: Friday, 10/21/11
0.8 in the demo (0% week-to-week change) with 1.92 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.8 in the demo with 1.83 million.
Demo average rank: #3 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012); tied with 90210, Ringer, and ANTM.

Episode 07-04: Friday, 10/14/11
0.8 in the demo (+14% week-to-week change) with 1.69 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.8 in the demo with 1.8 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012); tied with 90210 and ANTM.

Episode 07-03: Friday, 10/7/11
0.7 in the demo (0% week-to-week change) with 1.72 million; fifth in the timeslot.
Season average: 0.7 in the demo with 1.84 million.
Demo average rank: #4 of 10 TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 07-02: Friday, 9/30/11
Week two registered a 0.7 rating (-13% week-to-week change) with 1.8 million viewers. It’s much lower than what the show was doing last year — a decline of 30%.
Season average: 0.8 demo with 1.9 million.

Episode 07-01: Friday, 9/23/11
Year-to-year, Supernatural was down by a whopping 39% in the 18-49 demographic with a 0.8 rating and 2.01 million viewers. On the the positive side, the rest of The CW’s shows are down in the ratings so this one’s on par with Hart of Dixie, 90210, and America’s Next Top Model which air on better nights. On the downside, Supernatural’s been around for seven years and may be too expensive to continue with these numbers.

Reference point: The 2010-11 season averaged a 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 2.24 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you like the Supernatural TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for an eighth season?

ron December 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm

its a great show and i love it! but they need to go back to the way it was the first 5 seasons or i think season 7 will be the last. i do hope it lasts longer but its starting to run dry

zack December 3, 2011 at 3:54 pm

not Bobby!!!!!

Carol December 2, 2011 at 6:08 am

One of the most creative shows on TV ever ! Love it ! One point, would like the plot to focus more on the brothers working together fightinh monsters instead of fighting with each other.

Meg November 23, 2011 at 3:29 am

Hey Everyone, yet another fan of Supernatural here! Do you all still recall the previews for the pilot coming out (perhaps while watching Smallville), just like it was yesterday! Being a Horror fan, I was really thrown by this new and seemingly amazing show…That pilot caught my attention! I thought, what the…WOW! What is that? I have to check it out! Then after watching the pilot(which coincidentally aired on my birthday!…haha), I was so excited! It was as if everything I love about film and life was about to all be wrapped up into one basket!
Let’s face it, there is absolutely NOTHING out there on TV like Supernatural! I’m really impressed by the collaborative teamwork of everyone involved. To create a series with such genuine, out of the box creativity, and a truly unique, one of a kind storyline isn’t easy…Most shows today are either knock-offs, too many of the same, or just plain boring! I honestly feel like every episode is like it’s own little mini scifi/horror flick! Yet, they all still connect together through these integrated layers of humanity. What it is to be human, the darkness and the good inside of us, our curiosity of the strange, unusual, and unknown. Our connections and intrigue with mythology, superstitions, story-telling, mysticism and religion, witchcraft and magic, the metaphysical, new age, etc.! But at the core of humanity is love and the importance of friends and family. Who would know, that a show about demons, evil, angels, God and the Devil, and all of the “unbelievable” would convey this message so powerfully?
I don’t know if you could say that Supernatural really has a set in stone “beginning or end”… After creating this alternate, yet, very real and believable world… The writers and actors and everyone involved have carved the storyline out in a way that despite the fact that we know these characters so well, as good as any of our friends, there’s still a lot of room for the imagination.
I’m so glad the show didn’t end after season 5, this gave the writers and actors and everyone involved the opportunity and challenge to push the show into new directions, which was great. I can’t even imagine Supernatural without Seasons six and seven. I don’t agree that any seasons are worse or better, just different. I like each and every one, just for what they are. Each, a whole new blank canvas – unpredictable, with color and empty space taking form and shape and growing and spinning out with mass and momentum and a life of it’s own. I hope the show keeps going on strong. As long as Jared and Jensen and the cast want to do it! And, if the writers ever feel like they need some ideas/perspective I’m sure all of the many fans, and myself included, could throw in for a “Write your own episode of Supernatural” ongoing contest! Meanwhile I definitely do my best to market the show, and I work with lots of college students, spread the word!
Great job everyone in Supernatural! I could envision a Season 11 finale…???…you never know….But hopefully at least, season 9!

Watts Juniper November 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Supernatural is one of the rare TV shows that comes along once in a life time. The plot, dialogue and characters are all truly unique.
The true shame of Supernatural is that does not enough recognition for what a great show it truly is. The writers did an amazing job from the beginning, developed each character and every detail with intense and mysterious thought.
I do not expect Supernatural to run for 23 seasons, however, I hope to see that it receive some proper limelight before it runs its last season.
“Dude, don’t forget the pie.”

phyllisflair November 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm

PLEASE DONOT CANCELLED THEM I LOVED WATCHING THEM OVER AND OVER
AGAIN EVERYTIME THEY ARE ON. I LIKED WATCHING THE RERUNS AND IT WOULD BE TERRIBLE LOST WITHOUT THEM. SO PLEASE KEEP BRINGING THEM BACK. THANK YOU

SocialDmomma November 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

Supernatural is an awesome TV Show. It has good story lines, funny, serious, dramatic characters that tell an interesting story. I buy every season as they come out and watch every friday. There had not been a show this good in a Long Time.

Linda Russell October 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Love, Supernatural – hope they keep it on the air for a few more years, Love Crowley, also.
Hope they will bring back Castiel.

Rebecca October 26, 2011 at 6:59 am

I love Supernatural so much! I hope they continue to make seasons. I really like season seven I think it is very interesting. I am in 6th grade and people think i am crazy for liking Supernatural. I don’t care though because I like Supernatural and it is staying that way.

Rebecca October 26, 2011 at 6:39 am

I love Supernatural so much. I hope that they wont stop making seasons. I know that there’s a lot of people that like Supernatural and people who don’t. I’m in 6th grade and trust me the people at my school think I am crazy for watching Supernatural. I don’t care though because I like Supernatural and it is staying that way.

Craig October 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

It would be great to get the ratings for each night, like you did last season, so we can see how Supernatural is doing against the competition. It looks like Fringe and Supernatural are being killed by their lead ins. Nikita has killed off the viewers that Smallville used to bring Supernatural, and Kitchen Nightmares is a really bad show to put on before Fringe.

zack October 17, 2011 at 6:57 am

Season 6 was different to say the least, but i’m liking Season 7. It just has to be on the CW network so it never gets ratings like it would if it was on tnt or Syfy.

Jennifer October 16, 2011 at 8:11 am

I Love this show i seriously addicted I hope it doesn’t get cancelled and it get even better I just started watching reruns on comcast on demand and fell in love with it. Every time they show a new episode it makes my whole day. I havent been a fan from the begining but I am now so iI hope I can continue watching.

Allison October 15, 2011 at 11:00 am

I used to really enjoy Supernatural. But I feel the quality of the writing has gone down sharply since Kripke stopped being the showrunner. Last season was a total mess, and so far, this season, with the exception of the second episode (written by Ben Edlund), is rather dull. It doesn’t help that they decided to eighty-six the most interesting character on the show (in my opinion), Castiel. Making it so that Misha Collins isn’t a regular anymore has severely curtailed my interest in watching, sadly, as much as I still care about Sam and Dean.

Kevin November 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Ben Edlund needs to be the new show runner his episdoes are great..what drags it down is when they pit on brother against the other. Gamble needs to step aside..

Craig October 10, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I feel bad for the people who don’t watch Supernatural. It is a rare show where you have that almost perfect combination of humor, action, drama, and affection that create an enjoyable hour of TV every week.