Terra Nova: Cancelled; Season Two Still Possible?

Terra Nova canceled season twoThe Terra Nova TV show has been officially cancelled by the FOX network. However, though you won’t see dinosaurs back on the FOX schedule next season, there’s still hope for a second season.

For those who came in late, Terra Nova’s produced by Steven Spielberg and revolves around a time when our planet has become over-developed and overcrowded. Mankind’s only chance for survival is to make use of a newly discovered fracture in time and try to colonize pre-historic Earth. The cast includes Jason O’Mara, Shelley Conn, Landon Liboiron, Allison Miller, Naomi Scott, Alana Mansour, Stephen Lang, Rod Hallett, and Christine Adams.

Terra Nova premiered last September with a pair of installments which attracted an average of a 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.22 million total viewers. It was third in its timeslots but held viewers through the two hours. The third episode drew about the same as the first two episodes. Episode four fell by 19% in the demo and later episodes hit a low of a 2.1 rating in the demo three times.

The season averaged a 2.5 rating in the demo and 7.52 million viewers. Those aren’t bad numbers but also aren’t good enough to ensure a pick up — especially considering that Terra Nova is expensive to produce. FOX entertainment president Kevin Reilly once noted that the network was committed to purchasing 22 installments if the show was renewed.

FOX initially had a December 31st deadline to make a decision on renewing Terra Nova but bought themselves some extra time by picking up the options on many of the actors’ contracts.

Reilly had concerns about the creative direction of the show so Terra Nova producers and 20th Century Fox Television began approaching showrunners and senior writers about possibly joining the series for next season. Reilly was reportedly pitched several potential scenarios and writers but he didn’t take to any of them. A last ditch meeting on Friday supposedly went well but Reilly ultimately decided late yesterday to cancel the show.

The decision comes as somewhat of a surprise since the network and studio both made money on the show and has Spielberg’s name attached. Word is that studio 20th Century TV will now shop the series to other potential outlets. The mediocre ratings and hefty price tag — reportedly about $4 million per episode — won’t make it an easy sell. The talent options supposedly expire at the end of June, keeping those castmembers from being in contention for potential new series.

What do you think? Are you disappointed that FOX has cancelled Terra Nova? Are you surprised?

Pamila August 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I am said, I really enjoyed this show: I never missed it. I found that it was one of the best shows one TV. It seems that when ever a good show comes on it gets cancelled. Merlin was another show cancelled and I was waiting on the edge of my seat for the next season to begin but nether one will. You should rethink your decision and put them both back one the air.

Jessica Hanna July 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

This is the reason why I think all of the award shows SHOULD NOT recognise the fat ass ,cigar smoking, lazey bastards that have the nerve to think that they know what us “simpletons” want to watch. I would rather give the award to those who work night and day, through sweat and blood to keep the power running, so that all the so called award winning networks can keep there wallets fat. The worst part of it all is that they think reality tv is so great, I know more than 100 people that honestly hate that kind of television, and would rather see the money that they pay those morons to give up there dignity, and morals, give to charity. So to make a long bitch fit short, season 2 Tera nova, season 2 Tera nova, season 2 Tera nova PLEASE.

Lance Freson July 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I am shocked you are canceling such a great show it was unique and inspirational show. I enjoyed watching it and if I missed an episode I went looking for it online as I bet many did. And that should not bee taken lightly because I don’t think many people do that unless it was worth watching! I am dad to see it go and hope that some one with a brain notices its worth and picks up where you left off.

Kristen Sorenson July 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I will be sure to tell my kids that you, Fox, have decided to cancel one of the only shows not strictly educational that I allowed them to watch. Shame on you. The level of shelfishness on the part of key decision makers, be it politics or media, is truly sickening. When will WE get a voice in what we watch? How long will we have to settle for what people with millions of dollars in their pockets decide to feed us?

bass johnson July 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm

what a very idiotic thing to do such as cancel a series that brought in money and viewers everyone was paid on each end. Oh boy, and what really makes me laugh is how the network doesnt want this show on there, because the price obviously the greedy tight sons of bitches didnt realize that at the end of the last season they were cut off to the future meaning that theres no need to have all the crazy gadgets like the first one also meaning that the budget will not be as overwelming. But noone wants to think about hey how can we better this into making a bigger proffit if thats really the problem because we all know that the only reason it was 4mill a episode is because the crazy shit they had in the show. now that there are cut off and there is no reason for the crazy gadgets its time for real cut throat action against douch bags and dinasours. it couldnt get much better for the viewers or the people producing this so you know the networks making out if they would just grow some balls and open the second season they would turn way more people onto watching it and also spending less money because like i said theres no need for the crazy gadgets anymore there cut off and if you do decide to put those crazy ass future gizmos than you will have 3rd season to do so which generated way more viewers and money leavign you to go out the third season spending more money liek the first and making much more giving you a idea hey should we cancel it now this third season or what. there is no way making this decision now was a smart call so kick your self in the ass fox network because i bet TNT takes it in for a homerun and all you idiots can see how this show will really take off… i know well have a second season im very certain.

Duane June 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I know by read the promos when it started it was expensive but what killed it was the lack of dinos. Your going back in time to the Mesozoic age and all it was was two clans fighting most of the time.

Jake June 22, 2012 at 7:30 am

Time to go back to Discovery Channel. Fox when will you guys ever keep a decent series onboard. Good thing you were not in charge of Star Trek or MASH. God knows you’d likely not given them more than a year either. First Terra Nova and now Alcatraz. What’s NEXT?

David June 12, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Other than sports Terra Nova made it worth owning a TV. Too many reality shows that are not too real. Terra Nova was worth planning to sit down and watch television again. Shows like Terra Nova makes it worth paying a cable bill.

Matt Cooper June 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm

My wife and I both loved this show and didn’t miss an episode. If Fox doesn’t renew it aI hope someone picks it up

La'vania Henderson June 7, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I just found out they cancelled on of my favorite shows, Terra Nova! I loved this show and ABC’s Once Upon a Time. People are sick of the all the Detective/Lawyer/Cop shows, we want entertainment that takes us away from reality. You can only take so much of the singing, dancing and who is going to date/marry/break-up shows. At least let us know how the show ends! (One last two hour episode).

Butch June 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I loved the show at first, and the scenery and wildlife were awesome, but some of the acting was terrible, and the durection that the show went, was totally wrong and i don’t see how they could pull it back. The writers wounded this one….. and it deserves to die

Jessica Hanna July 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm

How many brain cell did you lose watching crap ass reality tv.

J. Kath June 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

I absolutely loved the show – the story line, the visuals – the cast – EVERYTHING. I have been hunting for it and bummed that it has been cancelled.

I sincerely hope that someone else will pick it up – I’ll be watching for it!

Clara May 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Go screw yourself Fox. This was an AMAZING show. Complete idiots these people are!

Teri Marcum May 22, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I was skeptical at first, not being sure how they would explain going into the past without changing the future, but after I saw the premier, I was hooked. I’m in my 50s, enjoyed the show, and hope they bring it back. I wish networks wouldn’t get so obsessed about the 18-49 “demograghic.” There’s still a whole bunch of us out there no longer in that group, that still enjoy good stories and great effects. We’re not all old grumps who think the only good tv programs were made before 1970.

Diane Scott May 21, 2012 at 7:54 am

I dont understand how a show can be cancelled after one season, it takes some time for people to start to get into the show, just look at Star Trek, I know alot of people here in the UK that love Terra Nova, its SYFY without being over the top, its drama with great actors, and great stories, as with the added excitment of the danger of T-Rex and his mates, well what can anyone ask for – PLEASE DONT CANCEL or if so at least give us a conculsion to the story, dont let us hang wondering whats happeing.