The Hour: Cancelled, No Season Three for BBC America Series

The Hour canceledThere won’t be a third season of The Hour, the BBC Two TV series. The show aired on BBC America here in the States.

Created by Abi Morgan, The Hour is set in the late 1950’s and revolves around a BBC current affairs news show. The dramatic series stars Ben Whishaw, Dominic West, Romola Garai, Anton Lesser, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Joshua McGuire, Lisa Greenwood, Anna Chancellor, Kelly-Jayne Adams. Burn Gorman, Juliet Stevenson, Tim Pigott-Smith, Andrew Scott and Oona Chaplin.

While The Hour was a success in its first season, viewership dropped significantly in season two. There are just 12 episodes total and the finale aired on BBC America on January 2nd.

A representative for BBC Two said, “We loved the show but have to make hard choices to bring new shows through.”

What do you think? Did you like The Hour? Are you sorry to hear that there won’t be a third season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

65 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Geoffrey Powers says

What a disappointment. The Hour was truly one of the better shows on TV. Now that it, and “Southland” are gone, there’s much less worthwhile viewing left.

2. Paula says

Loved “The Hour” such a wonderful break from all the stupid mindless TV – please please don’t cancel! There are intelligent people worth entertaining.
    Thank you for any consideration.

3. Carole says

Unbelievable decision to cancel this show! I thought the second season was even better. What a shame. Are there other reasons, such as one of the lead actors didn’t want to return? Hard to understand this.

4. lia vanrenen says

We loved the hour
    felt it was much better in season 2 and are very disappointed no season 3
    great acting and character development and having lived through that era albeit as kids we thought it was very interesting and thought provoking as well as portraying a accurate portrayal of the political and personal climate of the times

5. Deborah says

PLEASE PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE Petition for a 3rd Season.
    “The Hour” is one of the best shows that ever hit televsion!!!!

6. says

My husband and I just finished watching Season 2 of The Hour. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. I am very disappointed that there will not be a Season 3- BBC should reconsider
    and at least let the fans know if Freddy survived or not!

7. diane owen says

What a shame that the wonderful series “The Hour” was cancelled. Is there any reason to tune in to BBC America now? I think not.

Diane Owen

8. Mary G. Belk says

I just went to look up when The Hour was scheduled to start again. Say it isn’t so. Please reconsider and give us more of this excellent drama.

9. Sherry says

I have been waiting for The Hour to start. I am shocked that it would be canceled. What a poor decision.

10. DJE says

I am an American, and my husband and I LOOK for programming this good. We agree, British TV is better- almost alway.
    I also wonder, along with a commenter above, are we supposed to be happy watching more Top Gear and more Gordon Ramsey shows? For the love of true story telling, PLEASE, someone develop and broadcast Season 3!!!!! Sell it. There has to be someone who’d buy it! Please!

11. Dr. A. C.McDermott says

I sincerely hope that rumors of The Hour’s demise are greatly exaggerated. The program is superb in all respects. Please reconsider

12. Evan Marks, New York says

The Hour was superb, and a real credit to BBC. I regret its premature demise. Please reconsider.

13. Sophie says

Cancelling this is a mistake. It is one of the few programs that still retains any essence of class and integrity. It is exciting and dramatic, and the acting is so real that you feel as though you are a part of the story. It would have received a much better response if it had proper advertising, and people actually knew what it was about, with all of its conflict and twisting plotlines.

At the very least, a proper conclusion is all we fans can really ask for.