The Tyra Banks Show: Host “Cancelling” Her Own Series

TyraFollowing in the footsteps of her talk-show idol, Oprah Winfrey, model Tyra Banks has announced that she’s ending her own daytime series.

The Tyra Banks Show has been on the air for five seasons, since September 2005. It began its run in syndication and then, last season, switched to the CW network last fall.

Banks revealed the plans to end the Tyra show this week and, on her website, wrote ” Hey there. I want to share some news with you. This will be the last season of The Tyra Show. I’ve been loving having fun, coming into your living rooms, bedrooms, hair salons for the past 5 years. The thing is, The Tyra Show is not leaving because of YOU. Most times, a show leaves the air because not many people are watching. Well, you all ARE watching, in record numbers. You must know this love and support is always felt by me and it’s given me the courage to take more exciting steps in my life. So I thank you for that.”

Banks says she plans to devote more time to new projects and making movies via Bankable, her New York-based film production company. In her website statement, Banks noted the changes in the way that content is being produced for the entertainment industry and that she wants to take advantage of the new opportunities.

Banks also paid homage to “the ultimate Queen of Talk,” Oprah Winfrey. She publicly thanked Winfrey for giving her a shot in daytime television and wrote, “You have had, and continue to have, such an amazing impact on me. I salute you.”

Production on The Tyra Banks Show will continue until spring 2010. The show won’t be leaving the airwaves any time soon however.

Tyra currently occupies two hours on the CW weekday afternoon schedule. A repeat airs at 3pm with a new installment running at 4pm. Next season, the network is returning the 4pm hour to local affiliates to program and The Best of Tyra will be run at 3pm for the 2010-11 season.

In addition to her new projects, Banks will continue to host and co-produce CW’s America’s Next Top Model and to co-produce ABC’s True Beauty.

What do you think? Will you be sorry to see Tyra go?

kristyn guillotte September 23, 2011 at 12:38 am

My name is Kristyn Guillotte, and I asked to be on your show several times because I wanted the world to hear my son’s story. No response from you ever. Sad, I wanted a chance at being made happier…….Well, my son was a victim of police brutality. I know you are very busy and I didn’t know that your show was ending. So, I guess too little too late ,sucks for us, our life’s story. Maybe another time. So sad to hear your show is no longer going to be aired…….I still got much love for you…..can’t wait to see what you will do next……Kristyn

gloria bergman August 11, 2011 at 6:38 am

So sad:( Tyra u are the best, “O” was o.k for a while but lost it whene tom cruise jumped on her sofa on stage sick,he is sick,scientology is sick. ALL FOR TRYA.

cathy neo May 10, 2011 at 4:06 am

i jst dnt hw ppls mind works sometimes we tend to see the bad in people when are we going to see the good she has done for other people it ddnt hve to be us being helped in order to see how good she is.what happened to the say dont judge the book by its cover we dnt knw tyra up close and personal so for most of us what we see in her show,shows she is a good person.all u judgemental ppl stop how wld u feel if it was u getting bad comments.TYRA KEEP UP THE GOOD I’M GOING TO MISS YOUR SHOW U ARE A TRUE INPIRATION TO US THE YOUTH IN THE WHOLE WORLD. MAY GOD BLESS U SO MUCH U ARE THE BEST.MWAH.1day thats if you decide to come to SOUTH AFRICA please dnt be like other celebrities by coming to the big cities please remember us in not so famous towns,lol.

Biltex February 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I have been watching Tyra since her very first show. In the beginning it appeared to be clean and family oriented. Since then it seems to have gone rapidly downhill. She has inspired young women to move back in with their abusive, womanizing, non-working boyfriends. She has encouraged lesbians to persue and invagle young straight women. I do not enjoy her show anymore. She allows guests to be very sacreligious and joins in with them. Alas, poor Tyra, I thot I knew her well. I will pray for her.

Anonymous November 23, 2010 at 5:24 pm

@lilkunta: You’re right! How dare she compare herself to Oprah. Tyra is clearly BETTER get over it.

lilkunta June 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm

She is lying. Sine she stupidly moved from syndication to CW excusively, her ratings suffffered.

She is pompouus. ! how dare she compare herself /her show to the mighty O ?

Anonymous May 26, 2010 at 4:57 pm