Ugly Betty: Will There Be a Movie of the Cancelled TV Show?

IMAGENow that Ugly Betty has concluded its run, there’s already talk of a possible feature film. Is that realistic?

Ugly Betty revolves around a young woman (America Ferrera) who works at a trendy fashion magazine. Others in the cast include Eric Mabius, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Michael Urie, Vanessa Williams, and Ashley Jensen.

The series ran for four seasons before being cancelled by ABC. The ratings had been in decline for more than a year so the cancellation really didn’t come as a surprise.

Though the show’s writers were able to give the series and the characters some closure, many devoted fans naturally want more. According to some of the stars of the show, a movie based on the series is a possibility.

Do you think there will be an Ugly Betty movie?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After filming the series finale, Ferrera told Zap2It, “I’m happy with the way it turned out. And hopefully the fans will want more and they will come back and see Ugly Betty: The Movie and we can see what life after the show brought for this character and all these characters that the audience is in love with.”

Oritz later confirmed those feelings. She told Latina, “It’s something that we’ve been talking about and it’s something that America Ferrera would really love to do. That woman has so much determination that I can’t imagine anything she puts her mind to not getting done.”

There are no concrete plans for a feature film as yet but it’s an interesting idea. Though it could certainly happen someday, the prospects seem highly unlikely. After all, Ugly Betty has never been a big hit and viewership was in decline for quite awhile. Episodes didn’t bring a lot of money in syndication and the series finale only attracted 5.65 million viewers.

When you look at it that way, an Ugly Betty feature film doesn’t make a lot of business sense. But who knows, after the show’s been out of primetime for a few years, perhaps it’ll attract a cult following and they can figure out how to make the movie in a way that makes good financial sense.

What do you think? Is an Ugly Betty feature film a realistic prospect or just wishful thinking?

Chafalub October 27, 2010 at 6:53 am

ugly betty the movie should be done, because we want to see betty with daniel together….

garima October 17, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I would love to see a movie of Ugly Betty where she would end up with Matt…that would be so sweet. I love matt and betty. <3

Miffymiffster August 31, 2010 at 5:58 pm

ugly betty is so down to earth, and so many people can relate to her. i really can’t imagine why the ratings were so low. must be the poor time slot at 8pm

Miffymiffster August 31, 2010 at 5:56 pm

i am really upset that they cancelled ugly betty. i love the show but i never made it home in time to watch it!! i am so mad at myself for doing that! it’s at a really awkward timeslot.. thursday night at 8pm. 9 or 10 pm is more like it! i would always make it back to watch grey’s anatomy, which showed right after ugly betty. but ugly betty was a little too early for me to be able to get things done by that time. please make the movie and give betty’s fans another chance!

Emy August 29, 2010 at 5:10 pm

i was really devastated to know that there would be no continuity to Betty’s path towards finding true happiness .. i think that there are lots of poeple who really would appreciate seeing her becoming involved with Daniel ..so please ..and PLEASE ! try to make a movie where the ending would leave us in tears …( of joy of course!!)

Tasha August 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

An Ugly Betty Movie would be awesome!!!!! Another season might not be a great idea but a movie would be great! Daniel and Betty are perfect!! I love Ugly Betty!!!

flora August 8, 2010 at 1:19 am

please make more

mihai August 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm

there has to be a movie.betty and daniel must be seen as a couple

KB July 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

I would love to see an Ugly Betty movie!! i was so shocked to find out that season 4 would be the last season, it’s a fantastic show, hands down. Serious mad props to the writers…

PAT July 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm

YES!!! I LOVE Ugly BEtty it is sooooo funny….. I can’t believe they stopped it!

M.C.W. June 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I LOVE BETTY!!!!!!!!! Her life is so similar to my life. I’m sure there are so many out there who can identify to overcome obstacles in various areas of life and thriving despite what others think and/or say. I am in the military so I can’t always park in front of a TV and watch it. I do most of my TV watching online well after the episode has aired. That does not mean that I am not watching. LOST is gone…I will die without more BETTY!!! A movie would be perfect!

elsy herrera June 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

por favor que haya quinta temporada o pasen una pelicula mas Ugly Betty
Es Super!

viva June 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm

i would really want an ugly betty movie. And maybe they would continue season5. I really look forward to it :)

rachel June 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm

ugly betty is brillant i think it should return for another series if the sow it on a saturday night it ill get more viewers ……………..please bring it back please…………………………………………………..PLEASE!!!!

Ninie from Indonesia May 31, 2010 at 11:11 pm

please return the UGLY BETTY…,, I WANT ugly betty to be continued, pleaseee…
I was addicted to watching it every season, I wonder if betty and daniel could be a couple.. UGLY BETTY THE MOVIE will be a lot ot Fans……….