United States of Tara: Showtime Comedy Cancelled; No Season Four

United States of Tara canceled season fourWhile Nurse Jackie has been renewed for a fourth season, Showtime has decided that they’ve had enough of their other Monday night comedy, United States of Tara. The latter TV series has been cancelled after three seasons.

Starring Toni Collette, United States of Tara revolves around a suburban wife and mother who suffers from multiple personalities. Others in the cast include Brie Larson, John Corbett, Keir Gilchrist, and Rosemarie DeWitt.

Collette has been nominated for three Emmy awards for the role and won in 2009 for outstanding lead actress in a comedy series. Debuting in January of 2009, the TV series was created by Diablo Cody and was based on an idea from Steve Spielberg.

Should Tara have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tara’s rating have been sliding for awhile so the cancellation isn’t actually a big shock. Last season, Tara averaged more than 550,000 viewers while season three to date is down more than 40%, averaging about 325,000.

In addition to tonight’s, there are three episodes left in season three. The series finale is set to air on June 20th and is titled “The Good Parts.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that there won’t be a fourth season or was it time for United States of Tara to end?

Marianne June 29, 2011 at 11:11 am

Isn’t the whole point of having a network like Showtime is to be able to tell good stories regardless of ratings and critic reception?
This decision is a horrible one! Tara consistently had new, interesting, and generally real story lines.
If i had Showtime, I would cancel it. Between this and positively RUINING Weeds, they’re lucky to have many viewers at all. They should be kissing Michael C. Hall’s ass for Dexter, daily…

michelle June 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I’m so disappointed. I loved this show and I can’t believe we don’t get to see what is going to happen to Tara and her family. They could have at least gave them another season for a finale. This show besides weeds were the only reason I have showtime. Get a clue showtime execs.

Peeved June 24, 2011 at 12:31 am

I agree…they keep stupid shows that get boring episode after episode. I watched Tara every week, for all 3 seasons! I loved dead like me and pushing daisies too. When will showtime pull their air-heads out of their bulbous asses? >:(

stefan June 22, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Well, Showtime, since you canceled Tara, I’m canceling YOU! Who do you think you are, CBS????

JJ June 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Sorry to see Tara go…

Michael M June 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I like both Tara and Nurse Jackie, but I enjoyed United States of Tara about 300% more!

America June 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm

United States of Tara has been one of the most powerful sitcoms on television, i hate that they are doing this, i do not believe it! Toni and the rest of the cast have proved they’re very capable of great things…. i think it’d go on…

Angela Ando June 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Why do you always cancel your best shows, ie Tara and Dead Like Me only to keep junk like Nurse Jackie and The Big C, which is very distasteful? Huh? You will wind up losing your viewers over poor decisions.

lee June 21, 2011 at 6:04 am

i am sad to see the show end – it deserves a 2nd chance. maybe if it was on ABC it would have gotten better ratings.

Jessa June 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm

NO! What the hell? They continue to air dumb shit, yet they cancel one of the only shows that’s worth watching. :(

James June 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Fck Nurse Jackie! TARA was the greatest new story line in decades. The writing was fresh with each episode…and now nothing? What’s next, no more Big C!? We never get to know what happens to her and her fam? You guys at ShowTime Suc. I might just cancel YOU by ending my subscription to your service. It’s all about ratings, huh? Well yours just went down severely in this household! Adios Muchachos!

Amber June 20, 2011 at 7:40 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam June 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm

keep tara going and release it internationality

joe June 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Leave Tara alone or Bryce will get you Showtime…

Angry Mama June 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I hate, hate, hate this. This is a funny, sad realistic show about someone with MPD.