United States of Tara: Showtime Comedy Cancelled; No Season Four

United States of Tara canceled season fourWhile Nurse Jackie has been renewed for a fourth season, Showtime has decided that they’ve had enough of their other Monday night comedy, United States of Tara. The latter TV series has been cancelled after three seasons.

Starring Toni Collette, United States of Tara revolves around a suburban wife and mother who suffers from multiple personalities. Others in the cast include Brie Larson, John Corbett, Keir Gilchrist, and Rosemarie DeWitt.

Collette has been nominated for three Emmy awards for the role and won in 2009 for outstanding lead actress in a comedy series. Debuting in January of 2009, the TV series was created by Diablo Cody and was based on an idea from Steve Spielberg.

Should Tara have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tara’s rating have been sliding for awhile so the cancellation isn’t actually a big shock. Last season, Tara averaged more than 550,000 viewers while season three to date is down more than 40%, averaging about 325,000.

In addition to tonight’s, there are three episodes left in season three. The series finale is set to air on June 20th and is titled “The Good Parts.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that there won’t be a fourth season or was it time for United States of Tara to end?

Canceled and renewed TV show

131 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. kendra Vogt says

I am very disappointed to find out there will be no season 4! I have bought every season this far and now to find out….it is done after a super awesome season 3. Upset and bummed…

2. Anonymous says

i am very disappointed to hear that it is canceled i thought u.s of tara had everything you could ask for in a show………in fact it is one of my favorites i do hope show time will reconsider their horrible decision

3. chelsey says

I just found out that this got cancelled I’m only halfway through season two. And I’m rather annoyed that this show has been cancelled. :/ not cool.

4. says

I don’t have cable so I’m a bit behind since my husband and I watch everything on Netflix. We haven’t watched Season 3 yet but this show is (or was) one of our favorites. I thought all of the characters were relevant and interesting enough on their own. It’s too bad that ratings dropped so sharply. I’m sad to see it go.

5. Em says

duh! I can’t believe they are cancelling this show…do you hear me out there big executives? You were finally on to something good here and what are we left with…nothing! Because there is no real resolution…networks will air Jersey Shore (which is absolute garbage) and you can’t keep a compelling show on the air?

6. nick dallas says

You said it! They should be de-weeding rather than pulling out flowers! Weeds hasn’t been good for years yet they let it drag on and on. Tara is open for so much more and is getting better and better. I’m not the biggest fan of Tara but certainly enjoy it and am disappointed and surprised to hear of it’s cancellation. It does get to be a bit much at points and I think that is it’s biggest downfall. I think the reason they cancelled though was due to lack of viewers, but how could they possibly track the on demand and Internet views? There’s no way. Bad research by Showtime.

7. says

What a shame, but… it’s true that Weeds has become a “strangling plant” of a TV series, however, it seems that all Showtime series’ run aground after the third season; save for “Six Feet Under.” Oh wait, that was HBO… ummmmm, huh… Goodbye, Tara. We will miss you.

8. Sarah says

I loved Tara! I am shocked that they kept Nurse Jackie! Weeds has been another of my favorites since the beginning. It seems like everytime I get into a new show it gets cancelled. If they cancel Weeds I will cancel my Showtime!!! Maybe they should take polls or surveys befor canceling shows, not just ratings, what about those who DVR or Tvo the show? I heard that those recording features do not get counted into ratings. How stupid!!!!

• REED says

LMAO!! THAT’LL SHOW THEM..TOO FUNNY!!!

All the fantastic shows get CX’d meanwhile they keep garbage on the air. Nothing like trying to keep people stupid