V: ABC Cancels Sci-Fi TV Series; No Season Three

V season three canceledSadly, the Visitors aren’t among us any longer. After two short seasons, ABC has cancelled their V TV series.

A reimagining of the original V, this series tells the tale of what happens when an advanced alien race arrives of Earth professing their desire to help mankind. Fortunately, not everyone trusts them. The second season features the talents of Charles Mesure, Elizabeth Mitchell as Erica Evans, Joel Gretsch, Laura Vandervoort, Logan Huffman, Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, and Scott Wolf.

For season one, V ended up averaging a 2.25 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.7 million average viewers. It was “on the bubble” but ended up being renewed for a 13 episode second season. The network was hoping that the show would catch on and the ratings would improve.

Should V have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC later reduced the episode order to just 10 installments and debuted them mid-season. Unfortunately, ABC’s gamble didn’t pay off. Season two of V ended up averaging only a 1.9 in the demo and 5.49 million viewers.

Though the network and producers maintained that the show was still in contention for next season, it was clear that there would only be a third season of V if ABC was willing to gamble once again. In the end, they weren’t.

ABC confirmed today that V has been cancelled after two seasons and 22 episodes. The series finale aired on March 15th and, unfortunately, there were lots of unresolved cliffhangers. Hopefully the producers will someday share what they had in mind for season three.

What do you think? Are you sad that V won’t be returning next season? Why do you think the series didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our ABC cancel/renew page.

Dennis Starr November 13, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Oh but they can give us commercials every 7 inutes that now last up to five minutes. Lets not forget the popups during the movies and the big network icon crowding one of the corners if various colors.. Can they make watching TV any more miserable. But, these morons forget about the “Star Trek” series that they cancelled for the same reason. The fallout from that only lasted 20 years and at least three spin offs. So put “V” in a crappy time slot and then wonder why it didn’t do so well. Gee thanks TV guru’s. Your soooo smart. :(

john November 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm

V was a good show & had great potential for a viewer base.
If the networks would stop pitting one show against another by changing time slots to see who is more popular ,alot more programs would survive. Viewers get used to a program on at specific time & day & the networks fiddle with this to test loyalty.The program loses because the viewer cannot be bothered constantly chasing a program that is bumped for specials /time & day changes & reruns.
It is sad that networks “now”have to announce “new episode” to encourage viewers.
TV is hardly worth viewing anymore,with the constant interruption of commercials.You don’t know if you’re watching commercials with a program interruption or the otherway around.

Bert November 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm

This show was awsome, i believe if they would have changed the time slot more people would have watched. I feel its not right to get everyone excited about the next season only to end it withou an ending it almost makes me not want to watch ABC anymore cause they can just choose to leave people hanging. In fact i believe i wont be watching ABC anymore ( unless Modern Family is on ABC ). Although in the greater sceam of things this dosent really even matter..

Paul Stephens November 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Live in the UK and have only just watched season 2 on DVD. Wow!! Best show ever. Please, please let there be a third season.

David Jones November 2, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’m British and absolutely loved this series but i have only just learnt that this has now been cancelled, i’m very disappointed that this is the case and i feel that the producers owe it to the fans of this series to make a finale even if it’s one feature lenth film to bring this to it’s conclusion!

amanda page October 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

this was the only t.v. show i could stay interested in. i watched both seasons and wondered about the third season when i discovered it was cancelled. the network owes us 5 million viewers some closure with a finale at least. this is so dissappointing

Michelle October 26, 2012 at 6:18 pm

V had such good writing and technical support, I thought it blew all other sci fi series out of the water. I was really looking forward to the third season. Seinfield didn’t catch on until several series had gone on. I wish the execs had explored the fan base. So now I’m stuck with the ordinary sci fi. That sucks.

Peter Pistol October 16, 2012 at 6:00 am

I loved the original when I was a kid and was initially quite cynical about this remake but it immediately exceeded all my expectations and quickly became its own show. This really is no easy feat. Season 2 was getting better and better and better.
True Blood (which I love) had a really terrible and awful season 2 but got resigned and came back with a killer season 3.
Pleeeeeeeeease bring V back.
What a waste.

Chris October 15, 2012 at 5:52 am

I am baffled by the flimsiness of assigning and deleting perfectly good shows. We are supposed to invest our attention but then we find out in the midst of the journey that we are left blindfolded with nowhere to turn . Indeed, why buy a book or start reading if you know that the last pages are missing ?. Why are we treated callously ?

I loved the series and I would really have appreciated a proper ending, tying up the loose ends.

Ceci G. October 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I hate the way the powers to be play with its viewers. So 5 million people aren’t enough to keep a show viable anymore? We watched the show and enjoyed it. Guess our older demographic (60’s) doesn’t carry much weight. Too bad. TV’s not worth watching anymore.

Chris October 1, 2012 at 8:08 am

What a shame. I do not watch much network T.V. but this was one that I did, every time. The time change was odd, but I was hoping for a 3rd season.
Guess now one more reason not to watch network TV.

Bill B. September 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I had watched the original way back in the 70s with Robert E. i.e. Freddy Krueger, as the friendly alien. I was in love with the new series, particularly the character of ‘Anna’, for her cold hearted and conving beauty. I looked forward to every new episode….then, with so many unresolved issues for the series, I couldn’t believe when it didn’t come back! Somebody screwed up here in not continuing this great series…was there to much ‘reality’ to it? Somebody higher up wanted it stopped…devulging too much about what’s really going on in our world?

Bill Call October 10, 2012 at 10:50 pm

There was indeed to much reaity to it! The “Elite” ist pricks that CONTROL the world just did’nt like the producers of this show (and others like Jerico, Chicago Code and numerous others that have slipped my mind), spilling the beans on the Greatest Deception Coming to the ‘controlled’ Media in America soon! The next show to go will be “Last Resort” because it is entirely to true in so many ways. Be careful, the Sheeple are starting to wake up and what will that do to your plans! ! ! Remember, whether Republican or Demoncrat, they are opposite wings of the same bird! It’s fixed and the best person for their agenda has already been chosen!

Isabel November 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm

This show was truly great and I was thinking along the same lines. I thought to myself of course they’re not going to give a finale, this hits way too close to home. Wouldn’t want anyone getting any ideas now. The epic alarm clocks are going off, we are waking.

mary suzanne kuhel September 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I LOVED THE SHOW. WATCHED THE ORIGINAL SERIES WHEN IT WAS ON, WAS THRILLED WHEN THEY DID THE REMAKE. I WOULD HAVE APPRECIATED A TWO-PART OR TWO-HOUR SERIES FINALE WHERE THERE WAS A DECENT ENDING. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, THE SHOW’S AIR TIME WAS CHANGED…THIS CAN KILL A SHOW FASTER THAN ANYTHING.

I HOPE STEVEN SPIELBERG BRINGS IT BACK…IT REALLY WAS A GREAT SCI-FI SHOW. I LOVED IT WHEN THE QUEEN CRIED WHEN HER EGGS WERE DESTROYED.

TM - So Cal September 25, 2012 at 4:33 am

I watch very little TV but caught onto V and really enjoyed it. I was WAITING for the 2nd season and literally missed it. I think today many working people (like myself) DVR shows and once a season ends we need a tickle/reminder/something(!) to make sure we catch the 2nd season.

I was looking this up to see when the 2nd season would be released on DVD and now that I know it’s cancelled I probably won’t make the investment ~ it’s like reading a book when you know the last 20 pages aren’t there… Sad.

Bojidar September 23, 2012 at 4:13 am