Zero Hour: New ABC Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Zero Hour cancel or keep?Last week, ABC unveiled Zero Hour, their newest Thursday night TV show. Will this one be quickly cancelled like Last Resort or will it become a long-running hit like Grey’s Anatomy? Cancel or keep it?

On Zero Hour, the publisher of a myth/conspiracy magazine searches for his missing wife and becomes pulled into a compelling mystery that has world-wide implications and goes back centuries. The series features the talents of Anthony Edwards, Addison Timlin, Carmen Ejogo, Dylan Baker, Jacinda Barrett, Michael Nyqvist, and Scott Michael Foster.

The debut of Zero Hour drew a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.38 million total viewers. It was in a distant third place in its timeslot and was the worst regular season premiere that ABC has ever had. Ouch.

Of course, trouble in this timeslot is nothing new for ABC.

In 2010, they tried My Generation. This ensemble drama debuted to just a 1.6 demo rating and was pulled off the air in two weeks.

In 2011, the new Charlie’s Angels debuted in the same timeslot to a 2.1 demo rating. It was cancelled within weeks and production was shut down. ABC aired seven of eight produced episodes.

This past September, Last Resort premiered to a 2.2 in the demo and the numbers quickly tumbled in the ensuing weeks. The show was cancelled but the cast and crew were able to wrap things up by episode 13.

So, unless the ratings for Zero Hour quickly climb, it seems this show is doomed to be quickly canned as well. A second season seems out of the question but hopefully the alphabet network will at least release all 13 installments.

But, what do you think? Do you like Zero Hour? Should ABC stick with it or pull it off the air already? Cancel or keep it?

kim March 5, 2013 at 7:58 am

I loved this show….it kept me thinking, unlike most shows that you don’t need a brain to watch…bring it back

karen March 5, 2013 at 7:17 am

leave this show alone you already have so much other crap on ,why can you not just let one good show stay!!!!

Anonymous March 5, 2013 at 7:15 am

Love the show just got hooked on it whyyy

Geo March 5, 2013 at 6:57 am

cancel the reality shows keep zero hour I like it

Larry beyers March 5, 2013 at 1:54 am

Again a show that I got my wife to watch with me gets cancelled, so is abc trying to beat out nbc for the bottom. I am getting so fed up with the local channels I may drop them from my service and just stay on premium channels. Now I remember why I never went back to Disneyland.

cory March 5, 2013 at 1:18 am

Who is in charge over there ? What a bunch of garbage , who would cancel a show after only 3 episodes ? Come on ! Great show, very interesting and I looked forward to seeing the rest of the season. Think I will avoid abc shows if thats how you guys are running things over there. Maybe you did not advertise the show the right way, maybe time slot was wrong , it certainly was NOT because it was a bad show, so I think whoever is in charge over there is a moron. I am outraged, best new series this year and you don’t even give it a fair chance to get some word of mouth out.

Darlene Richeson March 5, 2013 at 12:24 am

I can’t believe Zero Hour is being cancelled. I don’t normally watch these types of shows but I found it so spell binding that I’ve watched all three episodes twice. I have friends and family that also love this show. What is wrong with ABC? I thought they finally hit a home run with this one.

Tom VR March 4, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I agree with the majority of the comments here! Show should be moved to Saturday at 10 p.m., beats repeats of other shows of the week!! Suggest better Advertisements of show’s move and plot to draw in interest!! Request show to play out 13 episodes!!!

Nancy Knight March 4, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Keep it – or at least END it properly the way Last Resort did. Now that we have started it, we’d like to finish it!! So tired of starting new shows to only have them go away and never know what happened to them!!!! STOP DOING THAT!!!!

Norma March 4, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I love this show. There are not many shows that I record to watch over and over but this is so good. Please don’t let it go

Chubby & Mzgambler March 4, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Keep it. We love and have missed Anthony Edwards. The show is great and has a good story line. Tell ABC if they don’t want it put it on SyFy……….it will flyyyyyyyyyy……excellent show and so tired of those old continuouslly RENEWED sitcoms……………..what about over 30 people????

johno March 4, 2013 at 10:04 pm

keeep it!!!!
great show…

JD March 4, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Everytime I get into a show it gets cancelled. Zero Hour is no different. I stopped watching ABC do to their canceling of All My Children. Zero Hour brought me back. I guess they want to be the worst station out there.

john March 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I’m 60 and really like the show,keep it and dump the reality crap!someone needs to cater to us older folks,and ask what we like to watch.

joyce woldanski March 4, 2013 at 9:06 pm

This is a great show don’t blame it for a bad time slot. Move it don’t lose it. Not everyone watches reality tv some of us like a show with substance.