A Gifted Man: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed?

A Gifted Man canceled or renewedWill A Gifted Man be cancelled or renewed for a second season? As the show winds down for 2011-12, that’s the big question for fans of the CBS TV series. In a recent interview, executive producer Neal Baer shared his thoughts but first, let’s look at the show’s ratings.

For those who came in late, A Gifted Man revolves around a self-absorbed and talented surgeon who starts questioning the purpose of his life when he’s visited by the spirit of his deceased ex-wife. The cast includes Patrick Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The series debuted back in September to a disappointing 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.45 million total viewers. The premiere matched now-cancelled Medium’s 2010 opener in the demo but did improve in total viewership. Week two saw Gifted Man drop to a 1.2 in the demo and 8.18 million. The numbers stayed at those levels for several weeks but then perked up to a 1.3 in the demo.

The season to date has a 1.3 average and 8.34 million total viewers. It’s easily the network’s weakest drama — in both the demo and total viewership — even when the Friday night timelot is taken into account. Medium was cancelled with a 1.4 demo average. With an abundance of stronger programming, A Gifted Man is certain to be cancelled after all 16 episodes have aired.

TV show supportIn speaking with TV Guide, Baer however remains optimistic and shared, “[CBS] really likes the show, and we haven’t talked about the future at all except trying to just do great episodes… They’re very supportive of the show and I know they really like it, so we’re very hopeful about coming back in the fall.”

Because Baer and company are betting that the show won’t be cancelled, some storylines will be left unresolved in the season finale. Baer noted, “There’s plenty to hope for and wonder about… There are definitely questions about what will happen in relationships in the future.”

What do you think? Do you think that A Gifted Man should be cancelled or renewed for season two? Should the storylines have been wrapped up in the season (likely series) finale?

Canceled and renewed TV show

452 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Judi says

I agree with Theresa that it is one of the better dramas on t.v. today. There are only a hand full of shows I try not to miss, and The Gifted Man was one of them. I hope you will reconsider and bring it back for a second season. How about promoting it more to draw in more viewers!!

2. Patti says

When I heard The Gifted Man was cancelled I was not happy at all. When the show ended inn March, I was very angry. Please bring the show back with the same actors and just make the husband and wife have there careers . I am the sure the writers can think of something. Please bring the show back.

3. Patti says

My husband and I really loved the gifted man! When I heard that it was not coming back that it has bee cancelled, I was really mad. It is a really great show, it was different. Would you please consider bringing the show back on in the fall! Would the writers be able to brainstorm. Bring back the same actors and just bring back his wife, and let us see them work together. Maybe that might work. Please brings the show back in the fall

4. Rachel Savard says

A gifted man what a well written and extremely interesting series. If it does not return my husband and I will be so disapointed. With all the crappy reality shows on TV finally an intelligent show with a fantastic cast appears and gives us hope in the futur of medicine and gets us away from mediocrity. If A Gifted Man does not return it will be a shame on the network and we will miss it immensely. As Julie wrote it would be a crime to cancel it.

5. carol says

a gifted man should definitely be renewed. it was so well acted and believable. give audiences a chance to see it by giving a better day.

6. Alexis says

Oh my gosh!!! Gifted Man should DEFINITLY come back!!!! Soooooo many people enjoyed that show, and I will be truly depressed if it doesn’t come back soon! My entire family watched every single episode every single week, and if we cOuldnt watch it one night, then we would record it and watch it as soon as we could! So pppllleeeaaassseee don’t cancel The Gifted Man! So many people will be much happier, including me .

7. B says

My husband and I really enjoyed this show. It seems that you don’t leave shows on long enough for people to catch on to them. You can’t tell the success of a show in one season as there are so many new ones to watch each year now. You don’t give the characters/actors time for their characters to evolve. Most actors get better the longer they play a character, thus making the show more enjoyable.

8. Adi Brownstein says

I love A Gifted Man!!!
    I want to see more!! He’s so gentle and sweet and he loves what he does and I would love to see more!!

9. PAT says

we love the show, has been very powerful new series, my husband & I can’t wait each week, to see what drama that might be around the corner. very hopeful you consider renewing it for another season. Thanks

10. jo says

I hope it comes back,me and my mom love it. I think it has a good cast.I hate getting into a new show and it gets cancelled. there are a lot on tv that should be cancelled,some come up with stupid shows.LOVE A GIFTED MAN

11. Carol says

A Gifted Man,disappointed it is going to be canceled since there is so little worth watching nothing on TV.

12. Theresa says

I have been looking for this show everywhere! Please bring backit back. One of the better dramas on TV todaay..I miss watching it….It was part of my Friday lineup…Just my 2 cents….Thank you

13. Patty says

I can not believe A Gifted Man is not in the fall lineup that was just released. I have never been so disappointed. This was a TV program that actually had some class, I can not say that about some of the other shows. I can only hope than another TV affiliate will pick up the show. It’s a crime to just leave a show hang the way you did. It is a shame to cancel such a great show.

14. Julie says

Please continue with this show as my husband, kids and even my parents are addicted to this show. It is actually one that has very little violence and language but certainly shows a caring way of life no matter who or where you come from. It will be a crime to cancel it.