Ghost Whisperer: Staying Cancelled, No Season Six on ABC

Ghost WhispererA staple of CBS’ Friday night schedule, ratings for Ghost Whisperer have dropped quite a bit over the season. Last week, the network surprised many viewers by cancelling the TV show after five seasons. The blow was softened when it was learned that the series might get a second chance on ABC. The alphabet network has now apparently passed.

Starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ghost Whisperer began in September 2005 and ran for 107 episodes. The series’ regular cast has also included David Conrad, Christoph Sanders, Jamie Kennedy, Camryn Manheim, Aisha Tyler, and Jay Mohr.

Things had been looking positive for the series to continue and some outlets actually had even reported that the show had been picked up. Unfortunately, the deal didn’t work out.

We may never know the details but Ghost Whisperer executive producers Kim Moses and Ian Sander issued a statement that said, “After five wonderful seasons and over 100 episodes, we are disappointed to announce Ghost Whisperer will not be returning for a sixth season. We’ve had an incredible experience and owe a debt of gratitude to everyone involved. We continue our relationship with ABC Studios and look forward to developing many more successful projects together in the future.”

While it looks like Heroes and Law & Order will get some closure, there’s been no word on any plans to go back into production and wrap up Ghost Whisperer.

What do you think? Sad to see it go? How would you have ended Melinda’s story?

Canceled and renewed TV show

597 Comments on "Ghost Whisperer: Staying Cancelled, No Season Six on ABC"

Notify of

Erin
Erin
June 9, 2010 3:23 am
I think that the decision not to continue the show with a sixth season is a terrible, horrible decision. Yes, every good show must come to an end when its its time. There are so many fans of this show and I am heartbroken just knowing that I don’t have anything to look forward too. (That’s TV wise of coarse) I say that I love many shows but when I watched Ghost Whisperer I sincerely wholeheartedly LOVE this show, and will miss each and every character: Melinda, Jim, Aidan, Eli, Delia, and Ned. There is and never will be another… Read more »
Nicole
Nicole
June 8, 2010 7:53 pm

I am sad to see the show go. I agree with another persons comment that the feel good shows seem to be cancelled. The least CBS could have done is wrap up the series with an actual series finale and give closure to the fans of the show. I was excited to see the possibility of another network to pick up the show it is too bad that has not worked out. I am very disappointed CBS!

Christy
Christy
June 8, 2010 5:26 pm
I’M SO UPSET WITH CBS!!!!!! I can’t believe they cancelled it and didn’t even wrap up the ending. Poor move on their end. If they were going to cancel it, they should have had ending episodes that wrapped up everything and made the story complete. If they are going to cancel it for sure, which I’m praying that they don’t, then they should pick it up for the fall to wrap up the story line. By them not doing so, it’s like not finishing a work of art and saying “oh well!” Poor move CBS. Poor move. And ABC, how… Read more »
LAURA
LAURA
June 8, 2010 12:33 pm

Don’t Cancel Ghost Whisperer!

Henry B
Henry B
June 7, 2010 9:51 pm

I love GW. At first it was just different stories and no character building. That all changed at Jim’s step-in and it actually got a story going. Bad Move. If anything i think ScyFy should pick it up.

Angela
Angela
June 7, 2010 8:20 pm

As normal a good show that is good for the family is cancelled. It seems like if there is not sex or violence a show doesn’t have a chance. Most of my viewing has been CBS shows, but now they are cancelling alot of shows I like. Also, I have to agree about reality shows. I’m so sick of my shows being taken off the air for another stupid reality show.

Dd
Dd
June 7, 2010 7:16 pm

WHAT?! that was a horrible mistake!! this is one of my favorite show 🙁

Bad mistake!!

Laura Green
Laura Green
June 7, 2010 6:58 pm
I’m completely bummed. I started watching this show back in late December 2009 early January 2010. It caught my attention by simply seeing one episode on television. I have worked to catch up in the show and loved every second of it. I spent hours dedicated to this show. I watched for three days in a row. I was just able to finish season 5 when I found out there would be no 6. I don’t understand why. It’s a great show. Plus, it’s not even finished. There is so much unanswered. They should do one more season to wrap… Read more »
Meghan
Meghan
June 7, 2010 6:46 pm

NOOOOOO! I am so unhappy about this. I just got hooked on it.

Eileen H.
June 7, 2010 5:42 pm

I’m very disappointed in CBS. They are beginning to remind me of NBC–the leader in poor TV judgement. Hope they are not going down that road!!
Give it another look.

Mark P
Mark P
June 7, 2010 5:06 pm

I agree with Cam the show should have been moved to a better time slot first to see if ratings would improve before they axed it. It was one of the better quality shows on TV. How are us morally sound people supposed to be entertained. All there is on TV now are those idiotic reality shows about ***** and morons. Truly a sign of our times, Heaven help us

Kristie N.
Kristie N.
June 7, 2010 11:17 am
Ghost Whisperer is my all time favorite show! Why now! Why would the network cancel a show that is absolutely one of the best I have ever seen. This last year the ratings probably went down because CBS showed so many re-runs! This last season has and the one now has been the most intense seasons of all! So why should the true fans have to suffer this devistating blow of the cancelation! Please pick this back up ABC! I have the collection of every season ever made! Don’t blow it PLEASE! This show is by far better than Medium… Read more »
Teresa
Teresa
June 6, 2010 6:25 pm
I can’t believe they cancelled the show. I’ve watched that show faithfully since it aired in 2005 and have not missed an episode. There isn’t any program on any channel that I can say that about. I’m going to miss that show terribly. They could have at least given it an ending other than what we saw last week. That just leaves us wanting more and looking forward to the next season. Something needs to be done. Some other network needs to pick up the show. CBS made a bad move in my opinion, they should keep the show going… Read more »
ellie
ellie
June 5, 2010 10:44 pm

I still hope GW will be picked up by one of the networks. It got a little rocky but it was a great show. It will be very sad on Friday nights without it.

Fluffin
Fluffin
June 5, 2010 10:41 pm
I used to LOVE Ghost Whisper. Never missed an episode, then things started getting hooky with the body step played by David Conrad. That is what lost me. I still watched it if I happened to remember it was on. I was listening to a recent interview on Coast to Coast radio show with the “communicator” gentleman who’s stories the show is based on. He stated the JLH was not wanting to do the show anymore. I’m sure that was a big reason ABC didn’t pick it up and it was canceled in the first place. The show just lost… Read more »
1 31 32 33 34 35 38